Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick #143: Samuel Ersson, G, Västeräs (Allsvenskan)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Right now he's behind Ustimenko and Fedotov, and if Sandstrom gets healthy, he's two years ahead in his development.
Ersson is more like Ross, a long shot who is 2-3 years away.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Right now he's behind Ustimenko and Fedotov, and if Sandstrom gets healthy, he's two years ahead in his development.
Ersson is more like Ross, a long shot who is 2-3 years away.

I dont think he is behind Ustimenko in terms of where he is right now.

Better technically by some way, was an SHL starter last year on a team with a joke of a D (played far, far better than stats), after having the best season in Allsvenskan history for ANY goalie, let alone a teenager.

And will be the starter again this year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I dont think he is behind Ustimenko in terms of where he is right now.

Better technically by some way, was an SHL starter last year on a team with a joke of a D (played far, far better than stats), after having the best season in Allsvenskan history for ANY goalie, let alone a teenager.

And will be the starter again this year.

Ustimenko has the advantage of being in NA, and playing in the AHL (acclimation to NA hockey, learning English, etc), but if there's no AHL season, Ersson will have the edge with a second SHL season. And Ersson is 9 months younger.

The interesting one is Tomek, 4th in the Czech league in S%, not sure how that translates, but still an good sign from a player I think we had all written off.

I'm still betting on Fedotov, because "bigger is better" and you don't get much bigger than 6'8. :sarcasm:
More seriously, 10th in S% as a rookie in the KHL is pretty impressive.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Ustimenko has the advantage of being in NA, and playing in the AHL (acclimation to NA hockey, learning English, etc), but if there's no AHL season, Ersson will have the edge with a second SHL season. And Ersson is 9 months younger.

The interesting one is Tomek, 4th in the Czech league in S%, not sure how that translates, but still an good sign from a player I think we had all written off.

I'm still betting on Fedotov, because "bigger is better" and you don't get much bigger than 6'8. :sarcasm:
More seriously, 10th in S% as a rookie in the KHL is pretty impressive.

Being Swedish, he likely speaks better English than you.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Looks like he's taking that step up this season, like Fedotov did last season.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Looks like he's taking that step up this season, like Fedotov did last season.

He was good last year.

He just had a comedy show in front of him. And the year before he had the best season in Allsvenskan history.

Eriksson was his back-up last year... and put up .880.

Eriksson's prior SHL seasons: .916, .913, .913, .931, .935, .909... with a .919 KHL season thrown in and 10 games for Sweden's NT.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Still looks like he'll need a couple years of SHL seasoning, which is not a problem, I mean Lyon is the AHL goalie this year, Ustimenko will also be on the AHL team, Sandstrom if healthy should be on the Phantoms. Next year Elliott will be gone and one of the kids promoted.

Of course in two years Fedotov takes the job and everyone else gets traded. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad