Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick #143: Samuel Ersson, G, Västeräs (Allsvenskan)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Still looks like he'll need a couple years of SHL seasoning, which is not a problem, I mean Lyon is the AHL goalie this year, Ustimenko will also be on the AHL team, Sandstrom if healthy should be on the Phantoms. Next year Elliott will be gone and one of the kids promoted.

Of course in two years Fedotov takes the job and everyone else gets traded. :D

Tbh he is one of the best few goalies in Sweden right now. Sv% be damned. There is a reason he is on the national team...

he has majorly outplayed two SHL vets over last two years.

If he was on Frolunda, Farjestad, Lulea or Skelleftea he would be at like .92o sv%+ for sure...

That being said he is probably looking at 2022-23 for NHL job.

Reactions: Larry44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So you're saying Fedotov/Ersson on the NHL club in 202-23 and we trade Hart, Sandstrom, Tomek and Ustimenko. :popcorn:

Things are starting to get really crowded roster wise at every position, which is good for fans but bad for prospects.

It does mean a lot of players will probably spend an extra season in Europe or the AHL before decisions are made (promote, trade or don't resign), which means depth will primarily come from prospects b/ they'll be well marinated and more likely to be NHL ready when they come up without doing the Lehigh Valley shuffle.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So you're saying Fedotov/Ersson on the NHL club in 202-23 and we trade Hart, Sandstrom, Tomek and Ustimenko. :popcorn:

Things are starting to get really crowded roster wise at every position, which is good for fans but bad for prospects.

It does mean a lot of players will probably spend an extra season in Europe or the AHL before decisions are made (promote, trade or don't resign), which means depth will primarily come from prospects b/ they'll be well marinated and more likely to be NHL ready when they come up without doing the Lehigh Valley shuffle.

They should roll three goalies in the AHL. They should probably have last year with occasional stints in Reading (close enough) for the guy who was #3 that game.

I dont know how 60 games of Lyon and Berube really helped the organisations future...

Thankfully they dont have the Reading option this year.

Last year I think they really screwed up signing Berube.

That Reading team was hell to play behind and I dont think taught two very athletic goalies very much at all.

They did not need to work on 3v0 and 2v1s etc in a semi-pro league with very little structure. Especially when one had been above average in over 100 games at a higher level.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Berube was insurance if Elliott went down, after the nightmare of 2018-19 (starting 8 different goalies).
Lyon has also had injury issues.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Look on the bright side, he's getting lots of practice.
It'll prepare him for the NHL when the Flyers play the Lightning.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean, his last three years have been very, very good tbh.

When you compare his team with him vs without:

2018-19: .933 vs .889 (4.9% better)
2019-20: .895 vs .880 (1.7% better)
2020-21: .916 vs .871 (5.2% better)
Overall: .915 vs .881 (3.9% better)

He has been worth right around an extra goal per game for his team over three seasons on average.

Statistically he has saved 91 goals more than his back-ups would have over those three years had they played. In 5389 minutes.

89.82 games played. 91 extra goals saved.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It would be nice to have those detailed stats, for example, I can't figure out if Federov is having a good or meh season.
He's 13th in S%, but 3 of the goalies ahead of him play for Avangard Omsk, which suggests they're a product of the team.

Roman Will, who starts ahead of him is a 28 year old goalie who put up a .922 S% in the SHL last season for Rogle BK.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
It would be nice to have those detailed stats, for example, I can't figure out if Federov is having a good or meh season.
He's 13th in S%, but 3 of the goalies ahead of him play for Avangard Omsk, which suggests they're a product of the team.

Roman Will, who starts ahead of him is a 28 year old goalie who put up a .922 S% in the SHL last season for Rogle BK.

Roman Will is amazing, I'm neutral here :laugh:

Reactions: Appleyard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->