Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 80: Kirill Ustimenko, G, St. Petersburg (MHL) aka the Zac Rinaldo Pick

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Does Vityaz still share it's VHL team with another KHL franchise and do they have a new VHL affiliate? I recall this being an issue when Rubtsov was there. Vityaz had a horrible relationship with whatever VHL affiliate they were using and no players were being sent there. It was a disaster.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Does Vityaz still share it's VHL team with another KHL franchise and do they have a new VHL affiliate? I recall this being an issue when Rubtsov was there. Vityaz had a horrible relationship with whatever VHL affiliate they were using and no players were being sent there. It was a disaster.

They changed affiliate after the whole debacle. It was THK Tver... who folded in 2017.

And Dinamo are the only affiliate in the VHL for Vityaz, and no sharing. Dinamo are one of the biggest VHL clubs in a way, so they are professional and dont need two KHL affiliates.

Reactions: Stizzle

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That’s a big increase in save % over what it was a month ago, thankfully.

I have seen maybe ~10 games of him this year in full, and it is just weird.

Like last year he was very consistent, this year he has games where he looks twice the goalie he did last year, and then worse than I have ever seen him.

Just speculating, but I mean, it would not shock me from a human perspective if not getting a VHL spot when he deserved it (and won it in camp) and then likely knowing had to be insane in MHL to get WJC starter spot - when it looked like Russia were setting him up for it for like ~18 months - messed with him a bit. It would most people I think...

and now not picked for WJC can just (and has to) move on.

My amateur psychology done for the day. (though now I realise technically I have modular criminal psychology quals...) :laugh::huh:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I have seen maybe ~10 games of him this year in full, and it is just weird.

Like last year he was very consistent, this year he has games where he looks twice the goalie he did last year, and then worse than I have ever seen him.

Just speculating, but I mean, it would not shock me from a human perspective if not getting a VHL spot when he deserved it (and won it in camp) and then likely knowing had to be insane in MHL to get WJC starter spot - when it looked like Russia were setting him up for it for like ~18 months - messed with him a bit. It would most people I think...

and now not picked for WJC can just (and has to) move on.

My amateur psychology done for the day. (though now I realise technically I have modular criminal psychology quals...) :laugh::huh:
Who knows with goaltending. It’s a volatile position. Goalies remind me a bit of placekickers in American football. They can be consistently good for a long time & then suddenly something minor goes wrong, maybe technically, maybe mentally, maybe a bit of both, & struggle mightily for a stretch.

Reactions: Appleyard

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Appleyard, have you seen Fedotov this season, .923 S% in the VHL, now 3 KHL games, .933 S%.
Looks like he's turned the proverbial corner.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It might be in the best interests of Ustimenko to come over to NA to continue his profession development. There seems to be a lot of politicking going on with players and their development in Russia. IIRC, Bobrovsky had similar problems while he was there.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
It might be in the best interests of Ustimenko to come over to NA to continue his profession development. There seems to be a lot of politicking going on with players and their development in Russia. IIRC, Bobrovsky had similar problems while he was there.

In general I don’t disagree, but where would he play?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
In general, there is always some fear about Russian prospects deciding to stay put instead of coming to NA if they have not made a decision a couple of years after their draft, not so much with Swedish, Finnish or middle Europeans draftees who may mature playing in their respective top leagues and mostly seamlessly transitioning in their mid twenties.

They whould really go and offer Ustimenko a contract soon. At least get into talks and find out what he wants to do.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If I'm a goalie in the Flyers' organization, I'm trying to get out so I don't get stuck behind Carter Hart for 15 years.

First, get on the AHL team, then star there, then show well as Hart's backup for 25 games a year.
At that point, you're prime trade bait and that works to your advantage b/c a team that gives up a lot to get you will give you a fair shot at winning the starter's job.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Fletcher mentioned trying to snag this go over to NA for next year.

a Sandstrom/Ustimenko duo in LV would be super fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad