Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 80: Kirill Ustimenko, G, St. Petersburg (MHL) aka the Zac Rinaldo Pick

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If the MHL is considered a junior league, what's the difference in going to the AHL from there than major junior? Not trying to be a smart ass, but junior hockey players make the jump and seem to be ok. Why would Ustimenko be any different?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Because the CHL is a much better junior league and closer in style to the AHL. There are so many teams in the MHL with no legitimate NHL prospects. Even the worst teams in the CHL have NHL prospects.

Fair enough. Wasn't sure how the MHL is set up. I like your idea of sending Ustimenko to some place like the Finland prior to North America. Maybe some team in the Mestis. I'm sure Sami Kapanen could be used as a resource as to where Ustimenko could be placed.....

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Loved this pick off the bat, as evidenced in that draft thread. Seemed like the majority here hated it at the time.

Reactions: Morinisbear

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Loved it so much you thought it was a better pick than the Frost and Ratcliffe picks.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
So are we going to see both Felix and Usti with the Phantoms next year?

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
So at this point i guess the question becomes "which goalie prospect ends up being the one who's made redundant by the others and ends up in a trade?"

Sandstrom has the headstart
We'll see how Ustimenko performs in NA
Ersson put up surprisingly great numbers last year, we'll see how he develops.

I wonder how the new regime feels about Lyon? He's getting up there in years, not saying he has any trade value but he may just be a career AHL guy.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So at this point i guess the question becomes "which goalie prospect ends up being the one who's made redundant by the others and ends up in a trade?"

Sandstrom has the headstart
We'll see how Ustimenko performs in NA
Ersson put up surprisingly great numbers last year, we'll see how he develops.

I wonder how the new regime feels about Lyon? He's getting up there in years, not saying he has any trade value but he may just be a career AHL guy.

Don't forget Fedotov who had a good season in the VHL and should be in the KHL next season.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Loved it so much you thought it was a better pick than the Frost and Ratcliffe picks.
My initial reaction to the Frost pick was negative, but I changed my opinion that very night when I watched a bunch of video of him. I actually became a quick proponent of that pick & trade. And if you’re implying I think Ustimenko is better than Frost or Ratcliffe, I do not; but at pick 80 I certainly loved Ustimenko & still do.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Prediction: We will all be clamoring for Sandstrom or Ustimenko to be called up to replace a struggling Talbot as Hart's backup before the end of the 19-20 season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not worried about Hart, he's not a hot/cold goalie like Mzarek, he's got pre-natural presence for a 20 year old and should be just fine.
Goalie is as much mental as physical, and I don't remember a young goalie with Hart's composure.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'm not worried about Hart, he's not a hot/cold goalie like Mzarek, he's got pre-natural presence for a 20 year old and should be just fine.
Goalie is as much mental as physical, and I don't remember a young goalie with Hart's composure.
All goalies are hot/cold. Few are as extreme as Mrazek. I agree that Hart won’t be Mrazek-level binary. But Hart could go through some rough stretches—just look at his AHL start.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Prediction: We will all be clamoring for Sandstrom or Ustimenko to be called up to replace a struggling Talbot as Hart's backup before the end of the 19-20 season.

If they want Talbot as the back-up, what are they waiting for?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad