Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 80: Kirill Ustimenko, G, St. Petersburg (MHL) aka the Zac Rinaldo Pick

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What the hell did I type?

Bottom line, Fletcher wants him in NA next year. Sandstrom is coming over also.
He'd probably be better off playing somewhere else in Europe but that gets tricky with Russians.

In hindsight, if the goal was to get him to NA next year, he probably should have played in the CHL this year as they just allowed import goalies again.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Is he actually AHL ready? I would rather he play lots of games elsewhere so Sandstrom can split duties with Lyon...or whoever.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
MHL to the AHL would be quite the jump.

Kinda would like to see him maybe play in a top pro league like Finland (like Georgiev did) if the KHL is not an option. But that is not a common path at all.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think you really have any idea if he's ready.

MHL is low level league, he hasn't even played in the VHL, though as Appleyard points out, he's been blocked so far.
Big jump to NA and the AHL at the same time.
There's no reason to rush him, he's probably 3-4 years away from the NHL, if ever.

Ersson is probably ahead of him, and should be in the SHL next year.
Fedotov is now in the KHL and he's only 22, which isn't old for a goalie prospect.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If Sandstrom comes over, then it makes sense to go with Sandstrom and Lyon/Stolie. Then the following year, Lyon or Stolie move on, and Sandstrom gets the full time gig. And at that point, we can replace them with another young goalie.

I don't see 2 AHL rookie goalies happening especially with what we have seen with injuries lately to goalies.

Let Usti, Ersson and Fedotov work their way up the overseas chain first.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Really happy to see Ustimenko seemingly back on track. I loved the pick; he’s got good size & always put up excellent stats prior to early this season. Also looked talented in the very limited amount of game action I watched. I’d imagine they’d like to start him in the ECHL next season, as a number of 20 y/o goalies (European especially) have done to begin their North American pro careers.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
as Appleyard points out, he's been blocked so far.
This is the issue. There are times when the Russian teams jack around their players in order to keep them down and away from other leagues. IIRC, they did this with Bobrovsky. If they’re stymying this guy, the Flyers should get him in another location ASAP. If he flops there, then he can go back to Russia.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
MHL is low level league, he hasn't even played in the VHL, though as Appleyard points out, he's been blocked so far.
Big jump to NA and the AHL at the same time.
There's no reason to rush him, he's probably 3-4 years away from the NHL, if ever.

Ersson is probably ahead of him, and should be in the SHL next year.
Fedotov is now in the KHL and he's only 22, which isn't old for a goalie prospect.

Thanks for mansplaining stuff I know.

Bottom line, again, is you have no idea what he can and can't do.

Reactions: baudib1

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
In an ideal world he would be in the VHL now...

but I could imagine him splitting next year between ECHL and AHL.

I mean, ECHL is between MHL and VHL anyway in terms of league level.

Reactions: renberg

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
In an ideal world he would be in the VHL now...

but I could imagine him splitting next year between ECHL and AHL.

I mean, ECHL is between MHL and VHL anyway in terms of league level.
Do you see him being blocked from playing in the VHL next year? I don't follow that league outside of some Flyers prospects. I obviously would like him playing higher levels, and I think there could be benefits to him in NA at the ECHL/AHL level. One of which is he is closer to the team for development, but also there is a good chance Hart/Sandstrom are the only waivers exempt goalies on the team next year. The reason I didn't want him to sign just yet is because they get to keep his rights anyway.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Do you see him being blocked from playing in the VHL next year? I don't follow that league outside of some Flyers prospects. I obviously would like him playing higher levels, and I think there could be benefits to him in NA at the ECHL/AHL level. One of which is he is closer to the team for development, but also there is a good chance Hart/Sandstrom are the only waivers exempt goalies on the team next year. The reason I didn't want him to sign just yet is because they get to keep his rights anyway.

It depends so much on things partially out of his control.

Salavat own his KHL rights... and can sign him, and could then send him to Tolpar. But they are crazy deep in net.

Metsola (Finnish NT goalie, top KHL starter)
Kareyev (One of best young Russian goalies in KHL, been picked for NT a few times)
Fedotov (Would be a KHL back-up already some places)
Tarasov (Alongside Ustimenko one of the 2-3 most talented Russian goalies age 20 and below... was a WJC)

If one left then maybe he fits there.

Dinamo could have space for him if they want to... but all it takes is for a KHLer to be sent down (Dinamo are an affiliate of some KHL teams... but dont have a KHL "parent" club if that makes sense.) and he is riding pine.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad