Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 80: Kirill Ustimenko, G, St. Petersburg (MHL) aka the Zac Rinaldo Pick

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's the poster child for the "leave no goalie behind" program.
Hextall likes to take one a year, so far we're hitting on about 1 in 3.
Which is why he'll continue to take goalies, ideally you want them spaced a couple years apart, but hit and miss and "accidents will happen" will provide that kind of spacing, Sandstrom will lose a year, Tomek is in the witness protection program, Stolarz is ???, Lyon is quickly making a case for a new career . . .

Ustimenko is 4-5 years away, just in time to audition for the role of Hart's backup.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I've seen him in ~10 full games this season.

The only real issue is he is a bit inconsistent.

Has games where he is just unbeatable... and then has games where he has a 10 minute stretch where just looks really off.

A hell of a lot of talent though. Hopefully he gets VHL starter job next year.

Reactions: RANKKA

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'd imagine he'd play in the VHL next year.

Yeh, either for his current club, whose most senior side are actually VHL.

Of if Salavat sign him and send him to Toros. But Salavat+goalie worry me a bit... they HOARD them and often have 3 guys in Toros.

Though next year Khomchecnko is likely KHL or elsewhere... and Flyers Fedotov would probably his tandem partner!

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Why not AHL? There are Russian speakers on the Phantoms :naughty:

Probably as unprepared as Hart for pro hockey, though, right?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeh, either for his current club, whose most senior side are actually VHL.

Of if Salavat sign him and send him to Toros. But Salavat+goalie worry me a bit... they HOARD them and often have 3 guys in Toros.

Though next year Khomchecnko is likely KHL or elsewhere... and Flyers Fedotov would probably his tandem partner!
Did Salavat officially acquire his rights? I know there was a report but never saw anything official.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Damn. 10 shutouts in 44 games. 1.78 GAA.

I've had high hopes for this pick since the draft.

Among Flyers' goalie prospects, he's gotta be getting close to challenging Sandstrom for #2, since Sandstrom has had a down season dealing with the hiatal hernia.

Reactions: dats81

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I have to say this, as a CBJ fan.. this guy could very well be your guys’ next “Bob”.

His stats are pretty flawless. I was surprised to see all the “Mehs” in this thread when you guys took him but he might be one of the biggest steals in this draft. Of course, the question is: will he make the jump to NA or not? If so, I love this pick for you guys. The potential is definitely there. Congrats to your scouts!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have to say this, as a CBJ fan.. this guy could very well be your guys’ next “Bob”.

His stats are pretty flawless. I was surprised to see all the “Mehs” in this thread when you guys took him but he might be one of the biggest steals in this draft. Of course, the question is: will he make the jump to NA or not? If so, I love this pick for you guys. The potential is definitely there. Congrats to your scouts!

Hextall has done a heck of a job building a goaltending pipeline that is the envy of most of the league. Carter Hart, Felix Sandstrom, and Ustimenko all have NHL starter potential. Whether they develop and then get their shot is another story.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I feel extremely justified in my intotial responses within this thread.

Still have no clue why people were so down on a pick like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad