GDT: Round 3: Colorado vs Vegas - Thursday at 9PM (Vegas up 3-2)

Who you want to face in the 3rd round?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I have to say Nathan MacKinnon scares me more than anyone on the Vegas roster.

Good thing we some kryptonite in the form of Phil.

It's going to take a no-one line team to best us, imo. We matched up well against them last year. They've added Pietrangelo. Ok, we've added Caufield, Toffoli, Anderson, Perry, Evans, Edmundson, Romanov, Gus.

But we can take Vegas too, imo.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I hope it's Vegas, huge advantage for the Avs playing at that altitude , tough for teams not used to it.

Any of them sure look like a huge task, lets hope they beat the hell out of each other.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What I've learned over the years - you don't pick your opponent. You take whoever you get.

I remember wanting Philly for a series because we destroyed them in the regular season only to be out in 5.

Good point. I wanted the Rangers in 2016-2017. IIRC, we handled them in the regular season and our star power forward Ott was a handful for them.

If only present self can go back and give past self this same advice.

Reactions: dinodebino

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Colorado and Vegas have each been playing in a similar time zone. And they'll have home ice in the 3rd round. Those first 2 games will be tougher on the Habs with the time change.
If it were all possible, I'd look at traveling to Colorado asap to start practicing. If the Avs win, they'll be acclimated. If Vegas wins, shorter travel to Vegas and no biggie going back to normal elevation.
I'm not sure if the habs could do that though.

And Vegas will be above 40 degrees.

Going to Colorado early would be a smart ploy indeed, if they could,they should. I don't think it's that big a deal with time difference,it's at max 3 hours,rather easy to adjust and who really know what time they will be scheduled to play anyways. The way the NHL does things,it's always to the benefit to the US market,but we'll see.

The temperature has no bearing does it? The arena I'm sure is fine as is the hotel they are staying in which I believe is connected to the arena, therefore no need to even go outdoors.
Beats playing in Montreal where the Habs are spent driving to the game with the atrocious roads and traffic.

Reactions: Schwang

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Going to Colorado early would be a smart ploy indeed, if they could,they should. I don't think it's that big a deal with time difference,it's at max 3 hours,rather easy to adjust and who really know what time they will be scheduled to play anyways. The way the NHL does things,it's always to the benefit to the US market,but we'll see.

The temperature has no bearing does it? The arena I'm sure is fine as is the hotel they are staying in which I believe is connected to the arena, therefore no need to even go outdoors.
Beats playing in Montreal where the Habs are spent driving to the game with the atrocious roads and traffic.
I doubt they could though. Where would they practice? They'd be off for a few days sitting in a hotel doing nothing.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Donskoi-Jost-Nichushkin
Saad-Compher-Burakosvky
Soderberg-Bellemare-Sherwood

Toews-Makar
Graves-Girard
Nemeth-Timmins

Grubaeur

or

Pacioretty-Stephenson-Stone
Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith
Kolesar-Roy-Tuch
Carrier-Brown-Reaves

Martinez-Pietrangelo
Theodore-McNabb
Hague-Whitecloud

Fleury

I feel like we could abuse the Colorado D in their own zone with a heavy forecheck they have some smaller guys back there.

ReginaHabs

Jan 7, 2021
I thought I read somewhere that teams that sweep in the QF have a high percentage of making it to the SCF. Did I dream that?

Edit : Found it. Not exactly what I remembered, but still interesting:

3. Teams that won a second-round series by sweeping the opposition went on to win the conference finals 11 times and lost in the conference finals seven times. (The extra rest before the conference finals helped?)

4. Seven-game series: There have been 23 seven-game series in the [conference] semifinals since ’87. Teams that won a second-round series in seven games won in the conference finals only six times and lost in the conference finals 17 times. (The fatigue factor of a seven-game series in the semifinals hurt teams in the conference finals?)

Last edited:

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
But that's make no sense about the "curse" because IT'S MONTREAL who WON in game 7 against Toronto and WON in 4 against Jets. That's NOT the same team on his STATS... so that's not really "curse"

Teams that win in 7 games that meet teams that swept in 4 games have a perfect winning record of 6-0 since 2001. The tweet is right. It's a weird stat but there is something to it - loss of momentum I suppose. If Vegas beats Colorado it will be 7-0.

What it boils down to is we need the series to end in 6! :nod:

Reactions: Licentia

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Teams that win in 7 games that meet teams that swept in 4 games have a perfect winning record of 6-0 since 2001. The tweet is right. It's a weird stat but there is something to it - loss of momentum I suppose. If Vegas beats Colorado it will be 7-0.

What it boils down to is we need the series to end in 6! :nod:

In a weird covid year, things may be different.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
My apologies if it has already been posted. Have they announced a tentative start date for round 3?

Ha....jinx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad