Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 52, Wade Allison, RW, Tri-City (USHL)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nothing makes people respect your opinion quite like making hasty judgements on players you don't watch and then arguing about them for 10 pages.

:laugh:

Personally, I am happy with how I felt that day and still feel that way.

Myers is a late bloomer. Anyone unhappy with him?

Reality is, not every prospect has their best showing on a drop dead date of draft day. That's why 1 year from now, guys that were picked in the 3rd and 4th round, will look like steals.

Everyone. Develops. Differently.

I just find it odd that certain people want to ignore how certain mock drafts had him as a potential 1st rounder, yet are bothered that we got him at 52.

Remember pre-draft, scouts were saying that their was a tier drop around #22....and and the next one was around 45. Well this is a perfect example of this. Allison could have went late 1st, early 2nd, or even late 2nd. There was not much in that entire group of guys, but everyone and every team has their favorites.

Obviously, Allison was one of ours.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
:laugh:

Personally, I am happy with how I felt that day and still feel that way.

d706ff6d79e28db53a8d8aa5e17501f31e74d9c7.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
How do you feel today?

The same.

Would you still take Allison at 52? Over Abramov?

I hope he's the next Simmonds, but nothing he's done at age 19 at W Mich has changed that I wouldn't take him at 52 if the draft happened today. I think it's still a matter of Hextall giving too much a bump in value to size when better prospects were available.

Surprised you want to bring it up again.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Allison is doing really well in college.

And he was ranked as a 1st rounder by multiple outlets coming into the draft.

And he skates very well, has a great shot in addition to being a big body.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The same.

I hope he's the next Simmonds, but nothing he's done at age 19 at W Mich has changed that I wouldn't take him at 52 if the draft happened today. I think it's still a matter of Hextall giving too much a bump in value to size when better prospects were available.

What makes Abramov a better prospect than Allison? He has a ton of flashy skill but could easily end up being another Kostitsyn type.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Allison is doing really well in college.

And he was ranked as a 1st rounder by multiple outlets coming into the draft.

And he skates very well, has a great shot in addition to being a big body.

And he was ranked a 3rd round prospect by many more outlets. He was a hot late riser, but come on. Allison was not a guy expected to go in the first round, and 52 was realistically probably about the earliest he was truly thought to go even with his late hype. Let's not act like he was a first rounder who slipped through the cracks. That would have been a monster surprise.

I truly hope he's another Simmonds and even in the summer, as not a fan of the pick, acknowledged I was happy to hear a few things that gave me hope that could be the case -- and I didn't hate him at all at development camp.

But I still feel like 52 was a reach with some of the players out there, such as Abramov. I still wouldn't take Allison at 52 if the draft was held again today. Though I'm still willing to hold out hope he's another Simmonds.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Getting worked up on draft day when you're talking about teenagers is one of the most pointless exercises.

I was excited when the Flyers drafted Provorov.
I was excited following Provorov in juniors, knowing he was a Flyers prospect.
I am excited to watch Provorov blossom in his first year as a Flyer.

It can be enjoyable.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was excited when the Flyers drafted Provorov.
I was excited following Provorov in juniors, knowing he was a Flyers prospect.
I am excited to watch Provorov blossom in his first year as a Flyer.

It can be enjoyable.

Provorov was a high pick & close to playing in the NHL on draft day. Most picks aren't like that leaving a lot more room for things go unexpected for better or worse.

Allison didn't have the long track record but showed an upward trajectory that has continued in his draft+1 season in college. There's still a lot to be determined but he's on right track which is all you can ask for right now. The strategy of taking a guy like that who doesn't have the big track record as the draft goes on is how you sometimes really beat the statistical odds of landing an impact player when the odds start decreasing by pick/round.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
And he was ranked a 3rd round prospect by many more outlets. He was a hot late riser, but come on. Allison was not a guy expected to go in the first round, and 52 was realistically probably about the earliest he was truly thought to go even with his late hype. Let's not act like he was a first rounder who slipped through the cracks. That would have been a monster surprise.

I truly hope he's another Simmonds and even in the summer, as not a fan of the pick, acknowledged I was happy to hear a few things that gave me hope that could be the case -- and I didn't hate him at all at development camp.

But I still feel like 52 was a reach with some of the players out there, such as Abramov. I still wouldn't take Allison at 52 if the draft was held again today. Though I'm still willing to hold out hope he's another Simmonds.

Go on YouTube right now and watch the draft broadcast. When we pick Allison, Brian Lawton literally says he thought there was a good chance he was going in the late 1st. Additionally, at the beginning of the broadcast, before round 2 starts he singles Allison out as one of the best players still on the board.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Provorov was a high pick & close to playing in the NHL on draft day. Most picks aren't like that leaving a lot more room for things go unexpected for better or worse.

I agree with your point but I raised a situation where it is enjoyable. I also liked the strategy by Hextall to move up and take Konecny. It adds to my overall enjoyment as a fan of this franchise. It is helpful to avoid going to the Prospects board, where the over-the-top comparisons of the teenagers of whom you posted reaches whirling dervish levels. I'm not as invested in the late-round picks, but it's intriguing all the same.

And when we have gotten to the low point of watching the on-ice frustration game in and game out, looking at the future is among the things to keep me from walking away.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I agree with your point but I raised a situation where it is enjoyable. I also liked the strategy by Hextall to move up and take Konecny. It adds to my overall enjoyment as a fan of this franchise. It is helpful to avoid going to the Prospects board, where the over-the-top comparisons of the teenagers of whom you posted reaches whirling dervish levels. I'm not as invested in the late-round picks, but it's intriguing all the same.

And when we have gotten to the low point of watching the on-ice frustration game in and game out, looking at the future is among the things to keep me from walking away.

I'm talking about getting bent out of shape over selections made on draft day. It's a pointless exercise to me as most of these guys are really young & many years away from the NHL at best. Not the following of the whole process as I enjoy that aspect too.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I'm talking about getting bent out of shape over selections made on draft day. It's a pointless exercise to me as most of these guys are really young & many years away from the NHL at best. Not the following of the whole process as I enjoy that aspect too.

Okay, I can get on board with that (so to speak). There are some obvious ones: taking Klotz in the 3rd, for example. Others need context. I have said how hopping mad / frustrated I was over choosing Morin; mostly because I wanted defensemen who were selected before him but also because I saw him as a poor choice around whom to rebuild the defense. Now that the Flyers have drafted offensively talented Dmen, Morin looks like a very good role player whose skills should complement the others.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Okay, I can get on board with that (so to speak). There are some obvious ones: taking Klotz in the 3rd, for example. Others need context. I have said how hopping mad / frustrated I was over choosing Morin; mostly because I wanted defensemen who were selected before him but also because I saw him as a poor choice around whom to rebuild the defense. Now that the Flyers have drafted offensively talented Dmen, Morin looks like a very good role player whose skills should complement the others.

Picks like Klotz that offer no upside whatsoever at the time it is made is understandable to be mad. Other picks I really don't just don't really get mad or frustrated at because ultimately I look at the draft for what it is. A big crapshoot.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Allison's such a badass pick at 52. His draft highlight package is bad*** really-easily the best goal celly I've ever seen at 1:45. Seeing him in the CHL would have been exciting this year forsure, kids down there aren't equipped to stop a guy who can and does play like Wade does, he's be crushing whichever league he was in here up north. I'm just as happy to have him as a surprise in a cpl years though, but he's been at least my favorite forward prospect since the pick was made-such unique set of attributes, skills, and talent that our organization sorely lacks.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Picks like Klotz that offer no upside whatsoever at the time it is made is understandable to be mad. Other picks I really don't just don't really get mad or frustrated at because ultimately I look at the draft for what it is. A big crapshoot.

This is how I feel. You can question picks that offer little upside like Klotz but when someone complains because they think a guy drafted late in the second round is a bad pick because some scouts had him projected to go in the 3rd round is just nit-picking. It's been shown in the past that the success rate for late second round picks is almost identical to players taken in the 3rd round. I'll always defer to guys that get paid to scout players and see them much more than myself unless the pick is not based on actual skill but rather someone they think has a higher chance of just cracking the lineup as a grinder like Klotz or Goulbourne. As long as they are picking who they feel has the most upside I'm fine with it. I just hate "safe" picks in the mid rounds.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

You wouldn't get a chance. He'd be gone long before then.

The same.

He's having a great season and helping his college team go from also-rans to being ranked in the top 10.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehockey-men/d1

But I'm not surprised you can't admit your summer rantings about Allison were nonsense because you can't even admit you were 100% wrong about Hextall not giving Konecny a fair chance to make the team out of camp.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

The Goulbourne pick was bad because he would have been there in the 5th round.

Now you can add Guentzel to the list of skill players taken after him who have already made meaningful NHL contributions.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall is both drafting the best player and the best player for the Flyers.
That is, most of the time you have a group of players when you draft who are similar in talent, but with different sets of skills.
So you look at who you've drafted the last couple years and try to balance your drafts - if you take a Konency, you also want an Allison.

Now where you get in trouble is when you take a player of lesser talent just to achieve organizational balance - never reach.

Allison is not going to be as slick as some other players, but we've seen with G and V having two slick guys without the big power forward to balance them doesn't always work. So you want the most talented group of prospects that fit together.

Or why you'd prefer not to draft six or seven LHD and no RHD, but you'd rather have talented LHD than lesser talents at RHD.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The Goulbourne pick was bad because he would have been there in the 5th round.

The Goulbourne pick was bad because they lit their own board on fire. I don't care care how many NHLers come out of the following 50 picks. It might be the most maddening Philadelphia draft pick of my lifetime.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
If you put that much stock in CHL production, then the Flyers should have traded back to select Sam Steel, Alex Debrincat and Vitalii Abramov. Juniors numbers can be distracting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad