Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
again, if i don't think magua has the credability to question charlie then that goes double for you and I. hagg clearly was not good at getting the puck out of his zone on a consistent basis last year. It was difficult for most of our team sans giroux coots , and provy and ghost. For a guy who is very poor at getting the puck out of the zone , you are g0ing to give him a lot of dzone starts? sounds to me like a bad strategy.

I pointed out the fact that O'Connor didn't offer any of his own scouting opinions in the article. It's a fact.

I did question his analysis, too. Don't think his attention to Hagg's 5v5 rate stats were useful given there were only 11 points to analyze. O'Connor also filtered age, which left out players just over 22 years old. Hagg had been playing with men for 4-5 years at that point and it was his 3rd season to adjust to the league.

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I pointed out the fact that O'Connor didn't offer any of his own scouting opinions in the article. It's a fact.

I did question his analysis, too. Don't think his attention to Hagg's 5v5 rate stats were useful given there were only 11 points to analyze. O'Connor also filtered age, which left out players just over 22 years old. Hagg had been playing with men for 4-5 years at that point and it was his 3rd season to adjust to the league.

He's sticking with it too. I don't know how Hagg has better physical tools than Ginning. Any time someone talks up Hagg's good physical tools I just don't know what to say. He is so unathletic in everything he does with his hands and feet. Hagg 0.5 is the worst player in the league and not even in the league.

Seeing how Charlie has changed concerning Hagg from summer to summer has been interesting though. He definitely hasn't been what he wrote about, to say the least.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
try reading and paying attention to that pesky little thing called context for once. the argument was that ginning was a reach and they should have taken axel anderson. i simply pointed out that based on several rankings ginning was not a reach at 50 where as anderson would have been.

adam ginning average ranking - 43
button 34, mckenzie 43, iss 17, mckeens 42, hockey prospect 49, future considerations 73, central scouting 5 euro

axel anderson average ranking - 86

button 70, mckenzie 93, 1ss 107, mckeens 88, hockey prospect 58, future considerations 98, central scouting 27 euro

This may seem crazy to you but some people actually watch prospects play and can formulate their own opinions of such prospects. If you disagree, use actual on ice examples of why. The Hagg comparisons are somewhat lazy, but the one thing these two players have in common is that their defenders always point to games played in the SHL and international tournaments or minutes played. It’s never about the on ice qualities. We are 7 pages deep and no one has given a positive review of anything other than to say that he is big and maybe he can develop a good first pass (which is the most overused phrase for unskilled defensemen).

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's basically a big player who can skate some. Flashes the odd play. That was my impression at the u18s, but he also got stapled to Boqvist and good d-men and played a ton.

If anything I think it's the reverse. Boqvist who got to play with Ginning. Team Sweden have been using Ginning as their premier shutdown defenseman in international play all season long. Him and Filip Johansson were terrific as a defensive shutdown pair at the Ivan Hlinka in August, allowing Sandin and Boqvist to focus on the offensive side, which I think was one of the reasons Boqvist was so good in that tourney.

I don't think the U18 worlds was Ginnings best performance, but the rest of the year he was dominant in international play and got some rave reviews at the Five Nations in February IIRC.

At his best Ginning can just completely choke the opposing teams offense with his size, physicality, board work, positional smarts and first pass. In that regard he actually reminds me a lot of the player Adam Larsson has become. And I mean that in a good way, I'm probably a lot higher on Larsson than most people (especially since the Hall trade which has lead to Larsson being really undervalued and unfairly criticized).

The problem for me has been that he hasn't been able to do that as consistently either in J20 in Sweden or in SHL as he does internationally. So the main question for me is if he can translate the type of game he plays against bigger and stronger opponents or if he is only able to do it because of his size and strength relative to other U18 players. As a staunch Ginning supporter for over 2 years I believe he can.

Ginning is a defensive defenseman; his strength is coverage and boards work in his own end. That's a possible issue with a high value pick but not my issue. You can indeed be a valuable defensive defender. The issue is identifying those players among NHL people is terribly skewed towards being big or physical or playing in your own end. They're simply poor at identifying what a good defensive defenseman is. Mattias Samuelsson is no one's idea of a puck mover, though he's better than Ginning, but he's quick thinking and in control and has play driving attributes. Alec Regula, a RHD on the board (who I would've preferred they took to Ginning if they were dead-set on this rote), is very smart all over the ice and actually the best with the puck of the 3.

Samuelsson is a good comparison for Ginning, but I think Samuelsson is more polished (and therefore safer) at this stage but I think both guys have similar upside. These guys are not the oldschool defensive defensemen who are only big and physical, these guys can actually play too.

Ginning is just not that good with the puck. He's not good at making reads and seeing the ice, and he's not good handling pucks. Any zone. Way too many times I've seen him bobble pucks. When he passes, he has a habit of just pushing the puck forward and snapping it with no touch because he can't handle it very well on his blade. When he has less time to make decisions on small ice, I think he'll get even simpler with it. Questionable puck moving and hands and creativity are not a strong link to upside. It's possible to still drive play, but you have to be downright exceptional at other areas. We'll see if he is.

I actually think he's better in these areas than he gets credit for. He doesn't have the natural puck-handling skills to be a legit PPQB right now, but that can still be improved. On the other hand I actually really like his creativity and his hands are pretty decent for a big defenseman. The guy can and will rush the puck when he sees an opening. I've seen him score amazing goals where he goes almost end-to-end, beats his guy to the outside and scores. And he'll deke guys out in the neutral zone if the opportunity presents itself. I think that's an aspect of his game that not many people know about. He actually has some solid offensive instincts. If anything it's his shot I'd like to see him improve.

I don't see Ginning necessarily as a defensive defenseman at the NHL level. I mean that may end up being his role eventually, but he absolutely has upside to be a 20-30 point two-way top4 D in the NHL. I think his ceiling is something like a defense-first guy on a top pairing (similar to Larsson) or a #3D who is driving the play on a 2nd pairing. Who knows if he reaches it though.

Also I do think his passing is fine. He's not someone who's gonna give you an amazing stretch pass like a Boqvist or Bouchard but he has a solid outlet pass. At his best he goes into the corners, wins the puck battle and then quickly moves the puck up ice. I don't know if the Ivan Hlinka footage is out there somewhere but if it is, go back and watch Ginning there. He did this routinely shift after shift, game after game and it was incredible to watch just how easy it looked for him. Guys who can do that consistently are super valuable to have on your team.

The Flyers wanted a big, safe, defensive d-man (Hextall's first words out of his mouth about Ginning were size and character), and this should put to rest any thoughts that the Flyers, from every level of their organization, don't value Hagg types. It's like we are doomed to have these Hagg debates forever. The Flyers wanted defense in case they lost one in expansion. They seemingly took another 3rd pair ceiling player, whose on-ice performance might be replacement level (which is better than Hagg), in case they lost the d-man most affordable to lose. I don't see an objective top 4 talent here, though there's a good bet he'll get overplayed if he's here. As I alluded to in my write-ups, Ginning is the type who gets overdrafted on hype while similar types or better will go in the mid rounds.

I can definitely understand the general sentiment that Ginning is a low upside pick and personally I wouldn't have taken him at #40 with the Oilers pick, but at #50 with the options which was still there among defensemen I don't know if I'd take any of them over Ginning. Forwards would be a different story though.

Andersson is an interesting debate but he's a guy whose upside is very tough to judge. He never really showed an ability to elevate his play and play with the best in an international setting. There's a reason the coaches relied a lot more heavily on guys like Ginning, Boqvist, Sandin and Johansson over him. I really like his tools. He's smart, good passer, good mobility, good shot, but he doesn't really have any elite trait or anything that sticks out about his game that you can say for sure is going to translate to the NHL. And even if he does make it I'm not sure if he's more than a smallish puck-moving #4/5 defenseman. I think he shares some similarities with Kris Russell.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to try and clarify some stuff. Ginning has been one of my favorite prospects to follow the past 2 seasons so I thought I'd chime in with some of my thoughts and impressions.

Btw I know it's not much but here's one example of Ginning using his hands to create offense and add an assist to his name:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Keep in mind that big defensemen tend to take longer to develop.

Ginning will be 18 in the SHL this year, if he can do a "Hogberg" and earn steady minutes at that age you have to take him seriously and ignore whether he scores at a high level, a defenseman at that age getting a regular shift and at least being somewhat productive is a serious prospect.
I figure the Hagg path, 1 year SHL, 2 years AHL, gets a serious look in the 2021-22 TC.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
If anything I think it's the reverse. Boqvist who got to play with Ginning. Team Sweden have been using Ginning as their premier shutdown defenseman in international play all season long. Him and Filip Johansson were terrific as a defensive shutdown pair at the Ivan Hlinka in August, allowing Sandin and Boqvist to focus on the offensive side, which I think was one of the reasons Boqvist was so good in that tourney.

I don't think the U18 worlds was Ginnings best performance, but the rest of the year he was dominant in international play and got some rave reviews at the Five Nations in February IIRC.

At his best Ginning can just completely choke the opposing teams offense with his size, physicality, board work, positional smarts and first pass. In that regard he actually reminds me a lot of the player Adam Larsson has become. And I mean that in a good way, I'm probably a lot higher on Larsson than most people (especially since the Hall trade which has lead to Larsson being really undervalued and unfairly criticized).

The problem for me has been that he hasn't been able to do that as consistently either in J20 in Sweden or in SHL as he does internationally. So the main question for me is if he can translate the type of game he plays against bigger and stronger opponents or if he is only able to do it because of his size and strength relative to other U18 players. As a staunch Ginning supporter for over 2 years I believe he can.

Samuelsson is a good comparison for Ginning, but I think Samuelsson is more polished (and therefore safer) at this stage but I think both guys have similar upside. These guys are not the oldschool defensive defensemen who are only big and physical, these guys can actually play too.

I actually think he's better in these areas than he gets credit for. He doesn't have the natural puck-handling skills to be a legit PPQB right now, but that can still be improved. On the other hand I actually really like his creativity and his hands are pretty decent for a big defenseman. The guy can and will rush the puck when he sees an opening. I've seen him score amazing goals where he goes almost end-to-end, beats his guy to the outside and scores. And he'll deke guys out in the neutral zone if the opportunity presents itself. I think that's an aspect of his game that not many people know about. He actually has some solid offensive instincts. If anything it's his shot I'd like to see him improve.

I don't see Ginning necessarily as a defensive defenseman at the NHL level. I mean that may end up being his role eventually, but he absolutely has upside to be a 20-30 point two-way top4 D in the NHL. I think his ceiling is something like a defense-first guy on a top pairing (similar to Larsson) or a #3D who is driving the play on a 2nd pairing. Who knows if he reaches it though.

Also I do think his passing is fine. He's not someone who's gonna give you an amazing stretch pass like a Boqvist or Bouchard but he has a solid outlet pass. At his best he goes into the corners, wins the puck battle and then quickly moves the puck up ice. I don't know if the Ivan Hlinka footage is out there somewhere but if it is, go back and watch Ginning there. He did this routinely shift after shift, game after game and it was incredible to watch just how easy it looked for him. Guys who can do that consistently are super valuable to have on your team.

I can definitely understand the general sentiment that Ginning is a low upside pick and personally I wouldn't have taken him at #40 with the Oilers pick, but at #50 with the options which was still there among defensemen I don't know if I'd take any of them over Ginning. Forwards would be a different story though.

Andersson is an interesting debate but he's a guy whose upside is very tough to judge. He never really showed an ability to elevate his play and play with the best in an international setting. There's a reason the coaches relied a lot more heavily on guys like Ginning, Boqvist, Sandin and Johansson over him. I really like his tools. He's smart, good passer, good mobility, good shot, but he doesn't really have any elite trait or anything that sticks out about his game that you can say for sure is going to translate to the NHL. And even if he does make it I'm not sure if he's more than a smallish puck-moving #4/5 defenseman. I think he shares some similarities with Kris Russell.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to try and clarify some stuff. Ginning has been one of my favorite prospects to follow the past 2 seasons so I thought I'd chime in with some of my thoughts and impressions.

Btw I know it's not much but here's one example of Ginning using his hands to create offense and add an assist to his name:

Thanks for the post! Glad to read up more on him. Looking forward to see how he progresses. As I said earlier hoping people here don’t put him in their shitter already. Seems to happen often as long as I have been here.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The SC playoffs should have informed people of the importance of balance, TB was the most impressive looking regular season team, but when the refs swallow the whistles and the windows get smaller, fast, skilled teams aren't good enough, you need some "muscle" and defensive oriented guys as well.

Doesn't mean you want a lot of "sluggos" out there, there's a happy medium, big defensive oriented guys with a modicum of puck handling skills, fast explosive offensive guys who play a 200 foot game. If you have the right balance, you can match up against anyone.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Thanks for the new slant

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The SC playoffs should have informed people of the importance of balance, TB was the most impressive looking regular season team, but when the refs swallow the whistles and the windows get smaller, fast, skilled teams aren't good enough, you need some "muscle" and defensive oriented guys as well.

Doesn't mean you want a lot of "sluggos" out there, there's a happy medium, big defensive oriented guys with a modicum of puck handling skills, fast explosive offensive guys who play a 200 foot game. If you have the right balance, you can match up against anyone.

And look at the forwards in the East. Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Matthews, Eichel, Barkov, Svechnikov, Lee, just to name a few off-hand. These guys are strong, powerful, and tenacious. It can be tough to keep them to the perimeter.

If you can get a strong, mobile defenseman with a long reach, good board work, and who can get the puck out of the zone, you have a valuable player. They are hard to find.

Ginning moves well for his size, has a very long reach and uses a long stick, is strong and is going to only get stronger, scored well on fitness tests at the combine, seems to have a knack for generating rebounds with a hard low shot, and occasionally flashes the ability to make some surprisingly quick moves in tight, but, like Morin, he'll have to work on his puckhandling, especially with the long stick. He seems to have a lot of what they were hoping for out of Morin (except the fighting and probably not quite the straight line speed), but better hockey sense and less of a raw project.

Reactions: achdumeingute

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No rebuttal to my previous post?
Are you trying to imply I said Ginning was a carbon copy of Morin? Or that I am arguing that Ginning is an equal prospect to Morin? I would hope not, considering Morin went 11 and Ginning went 50. I was simply saying that there are some similarities, and that Ginning does "a lot of what they were hoping for out of Morin," not all that they were hoping for out of Morin. (Hell, I even conceded the differences in straight line speed and fighting right in my post.)

They are both big defensemen who move well for their sizes, rely on their size and reach, play physical styles, and are projected to be "shutdown" type defensemen in the NHL. If you want to split hairs about it because Ginning is 2 inches shorter and has a 1 inch shorter reach, and isn't quite as straight-line fast and maybe his shot isn't quite as hard, then you are either missing my general point or ignoring it for the sake of nitpicking.

On another note, for those interested, here's a Kournianos tweet about Ginning from February:

"Adam Ginning is a kid I have spend more time watching beyond international events. I totally get the high CSB ranking - he's big, fast and nasty. There's offense there but just a matter of putting it all together."

Last edited:
Reactions: sa cyred

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's Morin without the size, skating, shot, and aggressiveness.

He's also #50, not #11, and playing a higher level of hockey than Morin at 17 or 19 for that matter.
Instead of jumping to conclusions, let's see how he fares at age 18 in the SHL next year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Are you trying to imply I said Ginning was a carbon copy of Morin? Or that I am arguing that Ginning is an equal prospect to Morin? I would hope not, considering Morin went 11 and Ginning went 50. I was simply saying that there are some similarities, and that Ginning does "a lot of what they were hoping for out of Morin," not all that they were hoping for out of Morin. (Hell, I even conceded the differences in straight line speed and fighting right in my post.)

They are both big defensemen who move well for their sizes, rely on their size and reach, play physical styles, and are projected to be "shutdown" type defensemen in the NHL. If you want to split hairs about it because Ginning is 2 inches shorter and has a 1 inch shorter reach, and isn't quite as straight-line fast and maybe his shot isn't quite as hard, then you are either missing my general point or ignoring it for the sake of nitpicking.

On another note, for those interested, here's a Kournianos tweet about Ginning from February:

"Adam Ginning is a kid I have spend more time watching beyond international events. I totally get the high CSB ranking - he's big, fast and nasty. There's offense there but just a matter of putting it all together."
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/147287863/

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Independent of Ginning, I would strongly suggest not using Central Scouting rankings as proof of anything, especially as you get beyond the 1st round.

For the record, that’s not a shot at their scouting ability.

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I didn't expect this pick but it's not like Ginning was a complete reach based on his pre-draft rankings and he is cast in the same mold as Morin who many people were giving the benefit of the doubt to round out his game.

By the time Ginning is going to be in the conversation for a roster spot in 4-5 years both of Hägg+Moring may not even be with the org any more. In my eyes he is the long term fill-in for the physical 3rd pairing D spot.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Ginning played with swedish national team this year and scored a goal. Looked better than boqvist.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm really surprised at the amount of negativity surrounding this pick. There are definitely guys that I would have preferred, but what is it that people don't like about this pick? It seems like people just keep saying "OMG Robert Hagg" or something about Ginning playing over Sanheim or whatever. This was right in the ballpark of where he was ranked, so it isn't like this was a huge reach or something. He seems like he is going to be a reliable defensive prospect with mediocre offensive upside. What is the biggest complaint we see on this board (besides the myth that the Flyers refuse to play young players)? DEFENSE. Now we have a big guy who has a chance to be a good shut down defender. I'm liking this pick, though there are definitely guys I would have chosen (Thomas, Groulx, Domingue, Bahl, and Morozov for sure, Jack McBain if he was still on the board but I don't remember if he was).

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm really surprised at the amount of negativity surrounding this pick. There are definitely guys that I would have preferred, but what is it that people don't like about this pick? It seems like people just keep saying "OMG Robert Hagg" or something about Ginning playing over Sanheim or whatever. This was right in the ballpark of where he was ranked, so it isn't like this was a huge reach or something. He seems like he is going to be a reliable defensive prospect with mediocre offensive upside. What is the biggest complaint we see on this board (besides the myth that the Flyers refuse to play young players)? DEFENSE. Now we have a big guy who has a chance to be a good shut down defender. I'm liking this pick, though there are definitely guys I would have chosen (Thomas, Groulx, Domingue, Bahl, and Morozov for sure, Jack McBain if he was still on the board but I don't remember if he was).
I think people are upset about using the 50th overall on a low upside pick. I think if Ginning was taken later, there wouldn’t be the same negativity...... Or maybe I am wrong and he eats puppies while training.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad