Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Why the Flyers picked these eight players in 2018 draft

Sounds like Hextall actually targeted big defensive defensemen to pair with the previous puck movers he drafted. I guess the idea of having two guys on the same pair that can move the puck is too radical a concept.

If ever there was a time with a deep prospect pool to take upside picks (not saying risky ones) who could develop slowly, this was it. Especially on the defensive side. If our top 4 of Sanheim, Provorov, Ghost, Myers isn't a major part of our contending for years to come, it's an issue. We have no one behind them, we took no one, with that realistic upside (Kalynuk likely has the most upside in the pool by sheer offensive ability). They're mostly all 5/6 types if they hit, and they apparently drafted them as such for fit. It also confirms general organizational views of what a "3rd pair" defender is or if you have too many good puck movers -- even 6'4 and 6'5 ones! -- you need stereotype "shutdown" ones. This team isn't a fan of outside the box thinking.

St. Ivany has the most talent and smarts of them all where he could be a 2nd pair type, but he has AHL feet that may not come around or make upside projection easy (though it's a good gamble). If he could move like Ginning at least, he's a top 4 potential player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All the more reason to reconsider your stance on taking a defenseman and seek out value at another position. Ginning played games in the SHL as a 16 and 17 year old. He played in two u18 tournaments. He played in the Ivan Hlinka. He played in 5 Nations. Everyone saw this kid play. He was the 23rd defenseman selected. Now ask yourself is it more likely that a) the Flyers saw something no other team did and got a steal or that b) every team saw him and didn't see a top 4 defender in the NHL so they passed on him and he slipped.

I don't doubt what the Flyers plan was. They liked the forwards in the 14-19 range a lot more than the defensemen and that they would take the best available defenseman in round 2. That was a fine approach leading up to the draft. That was my preferred draft as well. When the Flyers made pick 19, there were only 6 defensemen taken. Unfortunately by the time they were on the clock again 16 more went. It was slim pickings at the point and Hextall pretty much confirmed it when he said it was between Ginning and another kid. In the second round you can't force need. You have to try your best to find an NHL player. You only have about a ~20% as it is. Why complicate it and not take the BPA? I think they got caught with their pants down with that run of Dmen in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Sorry for the long read, I had some things I wanted to say after the pick yesterday but this board was so jacked up that I had to wait until today.

That assumes that they thought that any of the forwards left had top six upside. Or that Anderson's upside was greater than Friedman (who was a top flight offensive defenseman in college). A "reach" assumes they liked other players much better rather than considering them roughly equivalent.

If the choice is between a safe 3rd pair defenseman, a smaller defenseman who's a tweener (too small for a defensive role, not skilled enough for top four NHL role), and a forward who's got 3rd line upside, then taking the safe defenseman isn't much of a surprise, given they had already landed two forwards with top six upside.

I also think the AHL factors into Hextall's thinking past the sure fire NHL prospects.
He wants a strong NHL team, as we saw this year, a long playoff run provides invaluable experience to prospects.
And a deep AHL means a stable of marginal NHL players who can fill in for injuries - and most over 30 AHL vets don't qualify (or they'd be in the NHL).
So stocking up on young defensemen when that was a dire organizational need (especially in a couple years) was not just about finding NHL players, but ensuring there's talent in LHV.
Ginning will probably play 2, maybe 3 years in the AHL, starting in 2019-20. He should be the mainstay for the LHV defense, while he develops his skills enough to be at the very least a #6/#7 defenseman.

At pick 50, you're not going to find a lot of NHL starters (i.e 400 games or more):
2004-2008, #50-100, NHL starters:
2004: Booth #53, Grossman #56, Dubinsky #60, Goligoski #61, Krejci #63, Prust #70, Sekura #71, Yemelin #84, Elder #91, Franzen #97, Kennedy #99
2005: Raymond #51, McQuaid #55, Letang #62, Russell #67, Quick #72, Franson #79, Bishop #85
2006: Lucis #50, Anisimov #54, Mason #69, Marchand #71, Clutterbuck #72
2007: Spaling #58, Simmonds #61, Weber #73, Killorn #75, Martinez #95
2008: Stepan #51, Stone #69, Smith #79, Henrique #82, Holtby #93
33 in 5 years out of 250 or 13%.
50-59: 8 of 50 or 16%.

Ginning if he develops into a solid 3rd pair defenseman has a good shot at 400 games. There's only a few stars in this group.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If ever there was a time with a deep prospect pool to take upside picks (not saying risky ones) who could develop slowly, this was it. Especially on the defensive side. If our top 4 of Sanheim, Provorov, Ghost, Myers isn't a major part of our contending for years to come, it's an issue. We have no one behind them, we took no one, with that realistic upside (Kalynuk likely has the most upside in the pool by sheer offensive ability). They're mostly all 5/6 types if they hit, and they apparently drafted them as such for fit. It also confirms general organizational views of what a "3rd pair" defender is or if you have too many good puck movers -- even 6'4 and 6'5 ones! -- you need stereotype "shutdown" ones. This team isn't a fan of outside the box thinking.

St. Ivany has the most talent and smarts of them all where he could be a 2nd pair type, but he has AHL feet that may not come around or make upside projection easy (though it's a good gamble). If he could move like Ginning at least, he's a top 4 potential player.

Realistically, the odds are very long at finding a top four offensive defenseman outside of the top 40 or so, maybe even the 1st rd.
Flyers have been very lucky with Ghost and Myers falling into their lap, but Friedman was a solid 3rd rd pick and is his upside top 4?
I think it's harder to find these guys now with so many teams drafting smaller mobile defensemen a round or two above what they were willing to do 5 years ago.
So at some point Hextall is going to have to take them in the 1st rd for a couple years.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I have almost no doubt in my mind that Hextall was getting ready to pick Tychonick with this pick, but he went two picks earlier to Ottawa.

If they felt like they needed a big defenseman once Tychonick was gone, I'm at least glad they picked Ginning over Bahl.

Reactions: Rebels57

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeah? Please share.

age and expierence.

Jonas Brodin Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Connor Murphy Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Adam Larsson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Andy Greene Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Niklas Hjalmarsson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com - my personal favorite

Johnny Oduya Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

these examples are my reason for optimism. Dmen put in the sittation hagg was...( 40 percent ozone starts) in their rookie year tend to struggle. Some struggled to a higher degree than hagg did despite receiving favorable ozone starts. These players also showed that they were able to improve with experience.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
200.webp

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Look, I don’t know if this was the right pick or not and if he doesn’t improve I’ll be pretty upset with the pick also. But are we really going to say that he won’t improve at all? Is every service out there, externally and internally completely wrong on him? Truely maybe everyone is wrong and the people here are right, but I feel like there is this notion right now to **** on him. He is already behind the eight ball from most people on here which is kinda sad.

Maybe we should take the side of “let’s hope he improves his weakness’s to become a top 4 defender” instead of “he is a dumass and will only be a 6 at that”. He will have a good chance to play in the U20s, and will play most likely in the SHL. He gets torn up we can demolish him, but let’s not already think it’s a lost cause.
don't you know, a few people on hfboards know more than the entire scouting community, guys like craig button, bob mckenzie, etc. ginning is terrible and at 18 years old he is doomed to never improve and develop at all. meanwhile, at 23 years old sam morin is going to magically become a stud even though he has only played in 3 nhl games and can't even dominate in the ahl after being the 11th overall pick. double standards run rampant around here.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
age and expierence.

Jonas Brodin Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Connor Murphy Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Adam Larsson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Andy Greene Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Niklas Hjalmarsson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com - my personal favorite

Johnny Oduya Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

these examples are my reason for optimism. Dmen put in the sittation hagg was...( 40 percent ozone starts) in their rookie year tend to struggle. Some struggled to a higher degree than hagg did despite receiving favorable ozone starts. These players also showed that they were able to improve with experience.

Zone starts aren't the reason Hagg struggled. Those players you listed have much more ability as puck movers than Hagg. At no level has Hagg received praise for his work with the puck. Why are you expecting puck skills to suddenly materialize at the highest level of hockey?

Some SSS fun: In 4v4 ice time with at least 20 minutes played, guess which defenseman had the worst xGF% and relCF%?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
calls a series of opinions "facts".
try reading and paying attention to that pesky little thing called context for once. the argument was that ginning was a reach and they should have taken axel anderson. i simply pointed out that based on several rankings ginning was not a reach at 50 where as anderson would have been.

adam ginning average ranking - 43
button 34, mckenzie 43, iss 17, mckeens 42, hockey prospect 49, future considerations 73, central scouting 5 euro

axel anderson average ranking - 86

button 70, mckenzie 93, 1ss 107, mckeens 88, hockey prospect 58, future considerations 98, central scouting 27 euro

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Zone starts aren't the reason Hagg struggled. Those players you listed have much more ability as puck movers than Hagg. At no level has Hagg received praise for his work with the puck. Why are you expecting puck skills to suddenly materialize at the highest level of hockey?

Some SSS fun: In 4v4 ice time with at least 20 minutes played, guess which defenseman had the worst xGF% and relCF%?

Philadelphia Flyers 25 Under 25: Robert Hagg finally appears to be ready for the NHL

this is an article about hagg receiving praise for his work with the puck.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Love Charlie's NHL work, but he doesn't actually watch much prospects. He, for whatever reason, had this impression Hagg would be a play driving, good puck moving defenseman, maybe using his 1 game sample last season. He also called him an above average skater. Whiffed that one.

you may be right you may be wrong. But charlie has earned his right to voice an opinion and actually have it carry meaning. LIke how we all don't question appleyard, i think charlie deserves that respect. Magua i am not trying to offend you because i think you really did a great job on your scouting reports and you provided a great rescource for all us at your own expense ( btw i am still open and hoping to contribute financially for your efforts) . But I don't think you have earned right to pick and choose when to disqualify charlie's opinions.

as Far as hagg goes, i think you can even admit that his board has its favorites and has its whipping boys. hagg for some reason has found himself in the later , and while i am not a huge fan of his i see his value going forward. I also question how he as a prospect is still questioned but Morin is still regarded highly on here. The double standard betweeen these two just represnets the bad opinions that we as fans make emotionally.

Im not on the hagg bandwagon and stating his praise, but for the whole season it was clear to me the player was put in a very bad situation. If i am exposing a rookie such a hagg to the nhl its with a proven puckhandler by his side, and a heavy ozone distribution. instead he got exact oppossite and sufffered. I think its silly to think he is a final product, and i fully expect him to redeem himself considering who he pairs with, and if his usages are still extreme. i imagine He will have exteme usages so improvement needs to be taken with a grain of salt here.

I am not going to talk anymore about this. i just feel like its a discussion that is very one sided and i again find myself on the wrong side.

Reactions: hrocks66

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I have less than zero desire to join the larger pissing contest, but I will just say that I believe scouting service rankings to be a rough guide of one set of opinions rather than a rigid hierarchy. The meaningful evaluations are in the notes, not the numbers. I badly wish they made tiers instead of straight lists.

And yes, I do use the same philosophy to defend “reaches” like Frost and JOB.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have less than zero desire to join the larger pissing contest, but I will just say that I believe scouting service rankings to be a rough guide of one set of opinions rather than a rigid hierarchy. The meaningful evaluations are in the notes, not the numbers. I badly wish they made tiers instead of straight lists.

And yes, I do use the same philosophy to defend “reaches” like Frost and JOB.

I'm just a.....

giphy.gif

......so don't take what I say as meaning anything, but ranking players you like a lot less than others you rank aggressively is tough. There's a far greater gap than it always looks. And I'm ranking players I'd rather not draft where they'd go or even trade down if they were on the board still. I always say, I prefer my write-ups. Problem is, these consensus rankings are just lists. Maybe next year, if I do another ranking of however many players I can, I'll tier it too. As always, I look at my rankings and feel I didn't accurately show how much I liked or didn't like certain players in my ranks because, even just a little, consensus bleeds into it. But my write-ups I still stick by. It's hard just being one person and not bouncing thoughts off others or knowing what will happen on draft day.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
you may be right you may be wrong. But charlie has earned his right to voice an opinion and actually have it carry meaning. LIke how we all don't question appleyard, i think charlie deserves that respect. Magua i am not trying to offend you because i think you really did a great job on your scouting reports and you provided a great rescource for all us at your own expense ( btw i am still open and hoping to contribute financially for your efforts) . But I don't think you have earned right to pick and choose when to disqualify charlie's opinions.

as Far as hagg goes, i think you can even admit that his board has its favorites and has its whipping boys. hagg for some reason has found himself in the later , and while i am not a huge fan of his i see his value going forward. I also question how he as a prospect is still questioned but Morin is still regarded highly on here. The double standard betweeen these two just represnets the bad opinions that we as fans make emotionally.

Im not on the hagg bandwagon and stating his praise, but for the whole season it was clear to me the player was put in a very bad situation. If i am exposing a rookie such a hagg to the nhl its with a proven puckhandler by his side, and a heavy ozone distribution. instead he got exact oppossite and sufffered. I think its silly to think he is a final product, and i fully expect him to redeem himself considering who he pairs with, and if his usages are still extreme. i imagine He will have exteme usages so improvement needs to be taken with a grain of salt here.

I am not going to talk anymore about this. i just feel like its a discussion that is very one sided and i again find myself on the wrong side.

What? O'Connor didn't have any original scouting notes in that write-up. The skating comment was a huge red flag. Separately, it's a bit of a laugh that O'Connor is writing so much about 11 points.

Morin is more highly regarded for his NHL potential because he has better skills than Hagg: skating, zone coverage, puck pressure. It's not just see body hit body defense like with Hagg, though Morin is very physical.

You're focusing on zone starts, which is a mistake. Several times through the season, Hakstol tried to make things easy for Hagg by giving him offensive zone starts. Hagg would end up on his side of the ice often. Tilts in zone start percentages can indicate competency at generating pressure with the puck.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
What? O'Connor didn't have any original scouting notes in that write-up. The skating comment was a huge red flag. Separately, it's a bit of a laugh that O'Connor is writing so much about 11 points.

Morin is more highly regarded for his NHL potential because he has better skills than Hagg: skating, zone coverage, puck pressure. It's not just see body hit body defense like with Hagg, though Morin is very physical.

You're focusing on zone starts, which is a mistake. Several times through the season, Hakstol tried to make things easy for Hagg by giving him offensive zone starts. Hagg would end up on his side of the ice often. Tilts in zone start percentages can indicate competency at generating pressure with the puck.

again, if i don't think magua has the credability to question charlie then that goes double for you and I. hagg clearly was not good at getting the puck out of his zone on a consistent basis last year. It was difficult for most of our team sans giroux coots , and provy and ghost. For a guy who is very poor at getting the puck out of the zone , you are g0ing to give him a lot of dzone starts? sounds to me like a bad strategy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rather than assume Hagg can't improve, I'll wait for the election returns.
If he doesn't show progress the next two years, he'll probably never improve.

But given his size, decent athleticism (he's not L Schenn or Grossman), ability to hit without drawing penalties, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt right now, a lot of rookies look bad because the game is too fast for them, then things slow down as they get more experience. I think he's at least an average skater if not better, his problem was more being tentative (whereas Provorov had the opposite problem, making too many turnovers in his D-zone due to overconfidence).

Doesn't mean I'd depend on him, or make him a centerpiece of the rebuild, but I'm not giving him away either.
Like I've pointed out, his rookie year isn't that different from Gudas.
No one is asking him to be a top four (unless he's paired with Myers doing the puck handling), a solid 3rd pair D-man would be fine, thank you.

And in the same fashion, let's see how Ginning looks in the SHL at 18.

I remember some Morin supporters salivating five years ago, and while he's had bad luck, to be honest, at no time has he ever been a dominant player like Sanheim or Myers. Player development is not linear or often predictable.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm just a.....

giphy.gif

......so don't take what I say as meaning anything, but ranking players you like a lot less than others you rank aggressively is tough. There's a far greater gap than it always looks. And I'm ranking players I'd rather not draft where they'd go or even trade down if they were on the board still. I always say, I prefer my write-ups. Problem is, these consensus rankings are just lists. Maybe next year, if I do another ranking of however many players I can, I'll tier it too. As always, I look at my rankings and feel I didn't accurately show how much I liked or didn't like certain players in my ranks because, even just a little, consensus bleeds into it. But my write-ups I still stick by. It's hard just being one person and not bouncing thoughts off others or knowing what will happen on draft day.

It’s absolutely impossible. I used to put together Fantasy Sports Draft guides for friends before it became an entire industry. Until you try to make an ordered list of hundreds of players, you can’t appreciate how ridiculous it is.

Even professional teams with entire scouting staffs spending a year evaluating don’t go into a draft with 250 names in their board. I don’t know what the NHL does, but I know quite a few NFL teams have gone to simply grouping players by rough numerical grade. Straight lists just aren’t feasible on any reasonable scale. You’re doing your own work a disservice by trying for the exact reason you stated — it doesn’t give an accurate representation of your evaluations. You lose all nuance.

Reactions: Magua

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad