Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He’s not very fluid. He plays some matador defense too.
Seems harsh for a just-turned 18 y/o playing in Sweden’s top professional men’s league.

Even Adam Boqvist only managed 1 point in 15 SHL games, & I think he was the 3rd best player in the draft.

Only the March video worked for me, but Ginning forced players away from the middle a number of times; “matador” defense seems a bit extreme. He also had a quick, active stick & used it well defensively.

Made a couple mistakes but I don’t agree that he was running around out of position most of the time. I saw him rotate to open players frequently and he looked generally quite alert.

He was playing on his off (right) side, which I think he does frequently, so that’s good versatility at his age.

Also spent a lot of time on the PK in the video.

This kid’s a whipping boy before even getting started.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I am fully expecting Nicklas Nordgren to make a lot of teams look stupid for passing on him in the 2nd, including the Flyers.

Possibly. Side note: I was wondering why Iskhakov went so early as a similar player to Nordgren but without as much success. He committed to UConn for next year. I don't even know if he speaks English.......that's one weird route for a player to go straight from MHL to NCAA without a USHL stop. Had to factor in.

Anyway, it's possible Nordgren does make teams look stupid. I think he can. But he's not big and not a fast skater (neither is Iskhakov tbf).

People zero in on Akil Thomas right after, and he's a respectable player although I don't know if he'll be someone you really regret passing over either. Or Addison, who I am skeptical of his NHL potential. But I also look at Hallander, Morozov, Jenik, Regula (if defensive d was choice), Wise all as better picks, and pretty good floor ones, who went shortly after. A few others, though they're not as good as those to me. I get that Morozov and Wise were too similar to their Day 1 picks perhaps. Maybe Jenik too, although he's long-term. But they are all better players to me, even if they're not super high upside. And that's not even mentioning Nordgren and Shafigullin as high upside players that could be the types of players who make teams really really regret passing on. Who the hell knows what happens, but I'd sooner bet on them being top 6 NHLers. If Ginning is a top 20 prospect for us, those guys would've easily made my top 10 at #50. Shafigullin especially would've added a different dimension.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Seems harsh for a just-turned 18 y/o playing in Sweden’s top professional men’s league.

Even Adam Boqvist only managed 1 point in 15 SHL games, & I think he was the 3rd best player in the draft.

Only the March video worked for me, but Ginning forced players away from the middle a number of times; “matador” defense seems a bit extreme. He also had a quick, active stick & used it well defensively.

Made a couple mistakes but I don’t agree that he was running around out of position most of the time. I saw him rotate to open players frequently and he looked generally quite alert.

He was playing on his off (right) side, which I think he does frequently, so that’s good versatility at his age.

Also spent a lot of time on the PK in the video.

This kid’s a whipping boy before even getting started.
Yeah hes f***in gonna be a solid pick for this team. His skating is fine and he got better as the year went on. Great pick.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would have preferred to take K'Andre Miller at #19 and a forward at #50, so we'll see how JOB and Gin pan out compared to Miller and all the forwards taken from #51 on.

Reactions: Pantokrator

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I would have preferred to take K'Andre Miller at #19 and a forward at #50, so we'll see how JOB and Gin pan out compared to Miller and all the forwards taken from #51 on.

I’m happier guaranteeing the high upside forward in O’Brien. I don’t think there’s enough of a difference between Miller & Ginning to prioritize Miller at the cost of OBrien & leaving the forwards at 50 to chance.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I’m happier guaranteeing the high upside forward in O’Brien. I don’t think there’s enough of a difference between Miller & Ginning to prioritize Miller at the cost of OBrien & leaving the forwards at 50 to chance.
that idea also requires 20/20 hindsight. the flyers had no idea what forwards would or would not be available at 50 when their pick came up. they obviously took a guy in o'brien who was the highest rated player on their board which is what a team should do. ginning was one of if not the highest rated defenseman left when they drafted him at 50. the continued bickering over this pick, and those already pegging him a disappointment is ridiculous.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The only player I slam dunk had over O'Brien was Berggren at #19 without trading down, or even still trading down (in hindsight clearly). It was a pretty big tier after that for me without many players I would clearly rank above others. I barely saw JOB, didn't even know if he'd be a 1st, but they did their homework. I saw what they liked; maybe if I caught more than 1 game I'd have been more bold moving him from top 30 to top 20. But that's how it goes sometimes.

The JOB pick felt.......right.....as soon as the 15 second surprise wore off. I like it even more that they clearly targeted him higher than everyone else and that there is a lot of potential to hit on an underrated player. They could've taken JOB at #19 and not taken Ginning at #50. They could've taken Regula if they wanted a defensive RHD better than Ginning to me. They could've just not forced a named d-man with size and gone positional BPA, which tends to work out. Miller would've been fine at #19 too, but who would they have taken at #50? Akil Thomas? *shoulder shrug* He wouldn't have been my highest ranked player or three still. I liked the board at #50 with JOB taken. I didn't like how they played it.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I understand some of the disappointment with Ginning, because generally I’m not a huge fan of drafting so-called “shutdown” defensemen. But I think at 50 he was the best overall defenseman out there. I like his two-way potential. I like him better than Regula & Bahl. There were flaws with everyone left on the board. It sort of seems like many people are treating the Ginning pick as if it came earlier than 50.

I also understand some of the disappointment because I reacted similarly when the Flyers took Allison over Abramov. For similar reasons, as I thought Allison’s NHL upside was most likely 3rd line, & I wanted more of a home run chance in round 2. But I’ve grown on Allison. He keeps getting better, & could be a very valuable 3rd liner. I think Ginning could similarly keep improving & be a valuable defenseman, even if he has little chance to star.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The only player I slam dunk had over O'Brien was Berggren at #19 without trading down, or even still trading down (in hindsight clearly). It was a pretty big tier after that for me without many players I would clearly rank above others. I barely saw JOB, didn't even know if he'd be a 1st, but they did their homework. I saw what they liked; maybe if I caught more than 1 game I'd have been more bold moving him from top 30 to top 20. But that's how it goes sometimes.

The JOB pick felt.......right.....as soon as the 15 second surprise wore off. I like it even more that they clearly targeted him higher than everyone else and that there is a lot of potential to hit on an underrated player. They could've taken JOB at #19 and not taken Ginning at #50. They could've taken Regula if they wanted a defensive RHD better than Ginning to me. They could've just not forced a named d-man with size and gone positional BPA, which tends to work out. Miller would've been fine at #19 too, but who would they have taken at #50? Akil Thomas? *shoulder shrug* He wouldn't have been my highest ranked player or three still. I liked the board at #50 with JOB taken. I didn't like how they played it.

Nicklas Nordgren :nod:

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Nicklas Nordgren :nod:

Sure. But they don't draft Finns. I could get why they wouldn't take him after Farabee and O'Brien too (obvious reasons); they might not have taken him anyway if he was Canadian and they took 2 big players early. Blackhawks clearly didn't care, but that's their philosophy (perhaps their gain).

Tychonick perhaps could've been traded up for, but maybe they didn't like him. Shafigullin was the highest player on my board. I know he's an unconventional pick (even if he went in the 3rd still), but that would've been a change of pace forward pick (bigger, more a PWF with skill) with huge upside. I can't wait to see if and how he develops. Jake Wise would've been the USA hatty, but again, similar profile. They could've traded down and tried to get a 3rd too. Plenty of good players were on the board to maximize value, if not 1 in particular.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I don't know how you could watch Ginning and think he legitimately has two-way upside, but I guess that's the beauty of talent evaluation.
When I say “two-way upside” I don’t mean some kind of offensive force. I mean I think he can be a 15-20 point defenseman in addition to his defense, not the single-digit slug many seem to view him as.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's really hard for a regular defenseman to have single digit points but Robert Hagg did have 9 points in 72 games so...:dunno:

It's blind optimism if you expect him to approach even an average offensive game. Hell the GM didn't even talk down to the "defensive defenseman" label.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's really hard for a regular defenseman to have single digit points but Robert Hagg did have 9 points in 72 games so...:dunno:

It's blind optimism if you expect him to approach even an average offensive game. Hell the GM didn't even talk down to the "defensive defenseman" label.

Hagg is an offensive defensemen

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Twitter is blocked at my office so I can see the image for this clip, but I have not watched it.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

Well, single-digit Hagg sure seems to be the common comparison for those complaining.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I can't believe you're not pissed the Flyers let your 14th ranked player go to a division rival.
So not hating Ginning means I’m not upset that Pittsburgh of all teams got Hallander, who was my preference? Not following your logic, if that’s your implication.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Silly me, to think that a 23 year old player entering his second season might improve, or that an 18 year old in the SHL might have some upside.

"Must resist hive mind . . . refuse to be assimilated"

images

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->