Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
So.... Calder next season? That's what I think I'm hearing.

dumb-and-dumber-comedy.gif

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Lappy will pair Ginning with Hogberg and there goes Hogberg's hopes for the NHL. At the end of the season Hogberg will be -57 and management will be mystified on why he regressed so much. BTW....Ginning will be -58. Hogberg once got off the ice before Ginning did.

Though I have to admit, the Phantoms have not had a "hard hitting, stay at home" defenseman in quite awhile.
Actually not since Hagg........;-)). The similarities are uncanny........

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Risto and Ginning as the Flyers top pair defensemen.

Think about that for one moment.,.......count to 10 then scream at the top of your lungs in your nearest Wegman's: " Connor Bedard!!!!!!!!!"

I am sure everyone will think you are nuts......but one person there will pat you on the back and say "Hell Yes!"

Hart will quit hockey and become a missionary at Tuktoyaktuk in the NW Territories.........

1652824840806.png

The beach at Tuktoyaktuk...........

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What's the difference between St Ivany and Ginning, other than one is a RHD and one is a LHD.
Both are big, both are long-shots ever to see the NHL.
Would be curious to see the internal scouting reports on the two.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Lappy will pair Ginning with Hogberg and there goes Hogberg's hopes for the NHL. At the end of the season Hogberg will be -57 and management will be mystified on why he regressed so much. BTW....Ginning will be -58. Hogberg once got off the ice before Ginning did.

Though I have to admit, the Phantoms have not had a "hard hitting, stay at home" defenseman in quite awhile.
Actually not since Hagg........;-)). The similarities are uncanny........
rFKlCU6DRxi7IqkB1HYG_0001-23589005125.png

Reactions: macleish1974

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
At least Ginning was a second round pick that we actual used. Both Holmgren and Fletcher loathed second round picks. Now that I'm thinking about it, have we ever seen the two in the same room together?

• Haha
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What's the difference between St Ivany and Ginning, other than one is a RHD and one is a LHD.

Not sure. Enough of a difference that you had St. Ivany as the 10th best prospect in the system, between Andrae and Attard, and Ginning as the 25th. This was you too, right?

Just pointing out St Ivany is having a great college season, and he has the attributes you'd want in a partner for a mobile, offensive LHD.
I'm hoping he gets signed in April and we can get a look at him with the Phantoms and maybe the Flyers for a few games.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
What is it that scouts like about Ginning?

Intangibles maybe? Captain of team Sweden WJC-18 and WJC-20.
He gets drafted high, world junior exposure and regular playing time in the SHL.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Risto and Ginning as the Flyers top pair defensemen.

Think about that for one moment.,.......count to 10 then scream at the top of your lungs in your nearest Wegman's: " Connor Bedard!!!!!!!!!"

I am sure everyone will think you are nuts......but one person there will pat you on the back and say "Hell Yes!"

Hart will quit hockey and become a missionary at Tuktoyaktuk in the NW Territories.........

View attachment 548370

The beach at Tuktoyaktuk...........

Doesn't matter even if we get him he'll get hurt or something.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not sure. Enough of a difference that you had St. Ivany as the 10th best prospect in the system, between Andrae and Attard, and Ginning as the 25th. This was you too, right?
St Ivany faded the second half of the season after a hot start that suggested he might have turned a corner, I'd have him more in the late teens/20s in an end of the season rankings (Millman would also drop b/c of his AHL struggles).

Sure, he's probably better than Ginning, but neither would be projected to ever see the Flyers unless they make big jumps.
Right now the top D prospects are York, Zamula, Andrae, Attard, Hogberg, Wylie, Millman, Samson, St Ivany, Ginning, Murchison, Zanetti.

Could come down to simply wanting a big body in LHV next year with Hogberg, Wylie, Zech and Menell.
Though I'm surprised they didn't go with the RH stiff instead of the LH stiff.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I just don’t see the venom against him. Every team needs some size on D (see 2x Champs). He’s improving, played decent minutes on the Champs, and has the mean streak that LimpRisto lacks. If he makes it, fine; if not, oh well. Not going to waste time hating a rookie.
All that vitriol is frustration regarding the franchise. I really don’t think there is inherent hate to him… yet.

If he proves to only have the one tool of a mean streak, then it reinforces the concerns many of us have about the show runners for the team.

Now if he shows he can play with a mean streak while being effective in his own zone (e.g. not chasing hits but delivering them when that opportune moment presents), then the pick has some merit.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just don’t see the venom against him. Every team needs some size on D (see 2x Champs). He’s improving, played decent minutes on the Champs, and has the mean streak that LimpRisto lacks. If he makes it, fine; if not, oh well. Not going to waste time hating a rookie.

You should know better. It's not about "if he makes it fine, if not oh well." No matter how he plays in the AHL, he's going to make it. The Flyers love bad defensemen and always have. Robert Hagg played 300 f***ing games. Ginning is going to get cave in at the AHL but still eventually get called up where he will get caved in even worse but keep him around because "Toughness. Hits. Shot blocking."

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
You should know better. It's not about "if he makes it fine, if not oh well." No matter how he plays in the AHL, he's going to make it. The Flyers love bad defensemen and always have. Robert Hagg played 300 f***ing games. Ginning is going to get cave in at the AHL but still eventually get called up where he will get caved in even worse but keep him around because "Toughness. Hits. Shot blocking."
"... sticks up for his teammates, tough to play aga ..."

BINGO!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah Ginning being dressed while Zamula is scratched is just a year away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad