Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick #50: Adam Ginning, D, Linkoping HC (SHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, somebody likes Ginning.

I'm gonna root for him like any Flyer prospect, because we could use a big stay at home defenseman to pair with all those lightweight mobile defensemen. :rolleyes:

When someone like Cooper keeps an aging Coburn around, maybe there actually is value in big guys with limited skills.
Just don't want six of them.

Whether it's Ginning, Attard or St Ivany, at worst they can provide some balance at LHV and a solid call up body.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I am rooting for him for sure.

But this might be a make or break year... as if he cannot cement himself as at least a #4 Dman in the SHL next season he will be 21 years old... and there will be better UFA Swedish SHL Dmen who are available. Though his rights dont expire until summer 2022 so he has a year after that too to show well.

But right now it is looking like drafting say Samuel Johannesson in the 5th or 6th round of the 2020 draft as a draft+1 guy will maybe be a better player if Ginning does not have a big year.

Or just signing say Marcus Björk next summer as a 23 year old righty who at worst will be a 1st pairing AHLer.

I *think* Ginning has it in him to be a solid bottom pairing NHLer. He is a better skater than Hagg and a bit more aggressive, but he is not as good as Hagg, or Hogberg, or Bernhardt, at the same age. He has to show what he can do consistently.

~18 minutes a night for Farjestad and ~10-15 points with solid two-way play would be ideal and make me think he is ready to come to the AHL and be a top pairing guy.

torkad frukt

Mar 8, 2013
Signed a new 1 year contract the other day with Färjestad in the SHL. Haven't seen any recent games unfortunately, but I follow the team. His icetime has increased lately and fans seems to be very positive with the signing and seem to like him a lot.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who knows with prospects?

Hagg progressed quickly, but flatlined at 20.
Most big defensemen who aren't great skaters tend to progress slowly, often not making the NHL until 24 or so.
So Ginning might just be "normal."

Reactions: Larry44

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
9 points in 37 games in the SHL for a defenseman who turned 21 in January doesn't seem that bad, especially since he's a different style than the 21U defensemen who have more points.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Who knows with prospects?

Hagg progressed quickly, but flatlined at 20.
Most big defensemen who aren't great skaters tend to progress slowly, often not making the NHL until 24 or so.
So Ginning might just be "normal."
We need a big, mean D man. If not Morin, maybe Ginning can be it someday, or someone else. We are way too easy to play against.

Reactions: dats81

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
His gap is a serious problem still at times. Gets walked too often for a guy with his range and solid skating.

He has been better than last year, but has got pretty lucky.

I also would not describe him as that physical... and when he is he often takes silly penalties.

I think he can be better than Hagg though due to better skating. But he is not really even a good SHL Dman yet.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Not signed yet with less than a year left before they lose his rights.

Philadelphia Flyers Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
iu

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->