GDT: Round 2: Game 2 - Avs @ Fish - Here Fishy Fishy

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Don’t like that Bednar has decided the pairing that thinks getting pinned in their zone is a great idea should be he first pairing
Let's hope our forwards back check and play well on the boards. Johnson and Cole just flick the puck at the other teams defencman and hope it goes out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Girard and Cole swapping spots is the only lineup change.

I don't have a problem with those D pairings really. I think it's been forgotten that EJ and Cole were great together against the Flames. Completely neutralized Gaudreau, Monahan, and Lindholm with strong, physical, playoff style defense. They're going to need that against the big bodies of the Sharks in front of the net.

Puck movement is the area I'd be concerned with for that pairing, not having Girard, Barrie, or Makar with those two. Maybe this gets EJ into the game though. When he's on his horse carrying the puck up ice, he's at his best.

Not overly concerened with a Girard-Makar pairing. Out of the three puck moving D men, G has the best defensive awareness, and plays a really cerebral game. As opposed to a Makar-Barrie pairing, I think/hope G will have a good awareness of when to be aggressive, and when to sit back and cover for his partner. His great, active stick will hopefully help him cover for any defensive hiccups from the young Makar as well.

A heavy, physical forecheck will be the area of concern for them. The Sharks have no problems just dumping pucks in and finishing their checks to get the puck back. G didn't look 100% to me last game, and Makar is still getting used to the pace of both neutral and D zone forechecks. Hopefully they drilled the heck out of puck retrievals yesterday though, because they're going to need to get to pucks quickly, and get them out of harms way effectively.

I think Girard-Makar have a chance at forming a really good pairing if they click together though. They're both so smart and creative, they could end up dominating with the puck, and still have the proper awareness to play well defensively.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
No work and will be fully involved in GDT tonight. Really need to get back into the series tonight. I hate the Sharts with a passion at the moment.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I guess we live by Brassard, and die by Brassard.
tenor (8).gif

Reactions: AvsWraith

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
I don't have a problem with those D pairings really. I think it's been forgotten that EJ and Cole were great together against the Flames. Completely neutralized Gaudreau, Monahan, and Lindholm with strong, physical, playoff style defense. They're going to need that against the big bodies of the Sharks in front of the net.

Puck movement is the area I'd be concerned with for that pairing, not having Girard, Barrie, or Makar with those two. Maybe this gets EJ into the game though. When he's on his horse carrying the puck up ice, he's at his best.

Not overly concerened with a Girard-Makar pairing. Out of the three puck moving D men, G has the best defensive awareness, and plays a really cerebral game. As opposed to a Makar-Barrie pairing, I think/hope G will have a good awareness of when to be aggressive, and when to sit back and cover for his partner. His great, active stick will hopefully help him cover for any defensive hiccups from the young Makar as well.

A heavy, physical forecheck will be the area of concern for them. The Sharks have no problems just dumping pucks in and finishing their checks to get the puck back. G didn't look 100% to me last game, and Makar is still getting used to the pace of both neutral and D zone forechecks. Hopefully they drilled the heck out of puck retrievals yesterday though, because they're going to need to get to pucks quickly, and get them out of harms way effectively.

I think Girard-Makar have a chance at forming a really good pairing if they click together though. They're both so smart and creative, they could end up dominating with the puck, and still have the proper awareness to play well defensively.
IMO, this in addition to their transition game into and through the neutral zone was a pretty strong asset against the Flames. Facilitated their setup in the o zone. I think Game 1 against the Sharks they were quick to possession, but they weren't getting those quick, crisp breakout passes. I dunno, a lot of that was probably due to SJs heavy pressure, but it definitely seemed like they were flubbing passes left and right. Those small stutters allowed the SJ forwards just enough time to apply pressure. Broke up their whole mojo

Reactions: MacBradley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad