Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille and Blake stay)

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
The Kings will go another year without money from myself and my family members if any of these guys (Blake, Luc, Bergevin, and PLD) are with the team next season. I won't watch the LA broadcast for games in hopes of hurting ad revenue. If ownership doesn't care about the team, then I won't either.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
No worries. One thing that stuck out to me was DB calling out the $27M number as why a Dubois buyout wasn't likely. So, I looked at the buyout calculator year by year for the term of the deal, and the numbers are interesting.

YearTotal Cost (M$)Total Savings (M$)
2024 (25 years old)15.831.7
2024 (26 years old)31.715.8

The 1/3 vs 2/3 buyout is a significant factor.
I’m always one to look on the bright side and it could easily be said I’m overly optimistic. The handling of QB at times and prospect development in 22/23 is where my faith started to ebb away (even if I had some concerns sooner). However it’s been an absolute struggle to feel positive this year.

I had hoped to at least see some improvement in PLD as he settled. Just to see a bit more jump and focus in his game but it never arrived. I just don’t see where the improvement comes unless he suddenly gets some production because his line mates feed him. I don’t expect a no1 C out of him but he needs do be a solid 2c.

Whilst I can think of some very contrived possible scenarios where he steps up (right coach, system and line mates) it’s not probable. No should it be necessary. My natural instinct would normally be to give another year before judgement, I just don’t see any improvement being on the cards.

I don’t think they will buy him out but they should if 1/3 is on the cards. Otherwise they should move him for anything with a fairly big retention likely required.

It’s a shame/frustration because he has the tools to be a top 20 C. A clear example of why intangibles are so important.

Jun 30, 2006
We're truly screwed as fans. Ownership is checked out. They're done developing DTLA and have given up on the NFL. There is zero incentive for them to make sacrifices to build a champion. Dan Beckerman is an idiot who believed the team was a contender 7 years ago and the people he was putting in charge were the ones to make that happen. The guy's biggest accomplishment is the Taylor Swift concert revenue record.

Frankly, AEG is probably making more money off concerts at Staples & MS theater, then the Lakers, then the Clippers, and then the Kings. I wouldn't be surprised if they made more money from stuff like Shen Yun shows than the Kings. They are checked out and hands off. And as long as the team makes the playoffs, nothing will change.
Someone posted the similarities between the Kings and Galaxy. It was a good post, and frankly something that isn’t reported or discussed by the lazy local media.

It’s just painfully obvious there needs to be a different direction and new voice to lead the organization. However AEG isn’t paying attention unless their cash flow is impacted. AEG doesn’t give a rip about hockey and it shows on the ice.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
If I were Blake I don't think I'd even want to come back next season. I'd say to myself "damn, I really f***ed this whole thing up didn't I?"

• Haha
Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Someone posted the similarities between the Kings and Galaxy. It was a good post, and frankly something that isn’t reported or discussed by the lazy local media.

It’s just painfully obvious there needs to be a different direction and new voice to lead the organization. However AEG isn’t paying attention unless their cash flow is impacted. AEG doesn’t give a rip about hockey and it shows on the ice.
That was our man @kingsboy11

I highly suggest everyone read it

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
The one thing we can look forward to, I guess, is that this charade can’t last forever. The team is in decline and Kopitar and Doughty aren’t getting any younger. Combine that with how this group manages assets and eventually they’ll start missing the playoffs again and really get ownership’s attention.

Reactions: KINGS17

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
You could see the Dubois disaster coming from right when the trade was made. And for everyone who is hand waiving away the cost because Kupari sucks and Iafallo is overpaid, remember, it was 4 pieces for 1 piece.

Anytime you do a 4 for 1, it is a big deal. The opportunity cost is the biggest factor up front and in hindsight.

You have only so many shots at a 4 for 1 for your franchise. So if you pull that trigger you better be damn sure about the player and even more sure about where he fits in the team. No one does 4 for 1 for a guy who is the theoretical first line center down the road. It's the stupidest argument I have ever heard from the management supporters.

And now, talking about putting Dubois to wing in hopes of salvaging the situation is just too rich to be believed. But, even there, it isn't. Saw it coming from day 1 as well.

1714756960075.png

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Also, if PLD stays, we will prolong our necessary retool
This was the plan all along. PLD might be completely useless in his role now but he stops the team from bottoming out once 11 is gone. The $8.5m they’re paying now is Kopitar insurance. Obviously this is asinine considering the team currently is mid af and if they can’t win anything with 1C Kopitar they sure as hell won’t with 1C PLFD.

We all know that Blake idolizes Nashville and we should all admit that he’s pretty much succeeded at building a Preds-type team that will be a bubble team at worst and a miracle 1st round dark horse at best. I doubt Blake or Luc see anything wrong at all with the way this season went. They’re probably “welp we ran into a bad draw again, what can you do?” because hey, get into the playoffs and anything can happen right?

Reactions: chris kontos

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Looks like Rob gets to continue to f*** the franchise like a blowup doll.. when a kid pulls all the legs off a grasshopper, whats left to do - step on it and watch its guts squirt out? Lets put our Rob Blake thinking caps on, what is the next enormously stupid thing you could do with this team? Pick this year is 21st OA.. that probably will be gone... there's not much left to f*** up

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Spending to the cap on offensive players, then having no cap space to address the goalie position, and adjusting your system and play style to benefit your shitty goalies and not to the benefit of your scorers you hitched your wagon to.

Madness.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He hasn't done anything worth watching since 2014 either, so there's that.
I puzzles how every broadcast national/local does some cameo shot of him in the stands.. really? Who f-ing cares he's a has been.. not like its Jack at Laker games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad