Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I have 2 questions:

1. How in the world did we end up getting this kid in the 2nd round?

2. When is the last time we drafted a player like this? (Jimmy Carson? and 2nd overall, comparatively.)

This season sucks, but man do we have some good kids in the pipeline.

Every team passed on him because they assumed he wasn’t mature enough simply because of his socially awkward interview skills... their loss, our gain. He has the skillz to pay the bills - he’s so dangerous just inside the dot on the right side.

Reactions: sabremike

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Arty Party is potentially the best 2nd round pick since the Kings drafted Voynov, Simmonds, Clifford, and Toffoli in a 4 year span. Haven't had an impact player from that round in a while, whiffed on a lot of guys.

Hopefully in a few seasons we are talking about how hitting on 2nd rounders like Kaliyev, Thomas, and JAD set us up for contention like it did during the cup years.

Reactions: SlimCharles

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He'd better make it for the nicknames alone, haha. King Arthur, Arty Party, it's all good.

I really hope pans out. Would be so nice to have an elite sniper. I remember when Ziggy had the puck you just expected him to do something. The crowd would collectively hold their breath.

I don't think he's that kind of player, though. More like Luc. You're not going to see him hold the puck much. It's going to be on his stick and in the net.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
He'd better make it for the nicknames alone, haha. King Arthur, Arty Party, it's all good.

I don't think he's that kind of player, though. More like Luc. You're not going to see him hold the puck much. It's going to be on his stick and in the net.

That's what Vilardi, Turcotte, and Kupari are for!

Reactions: Ghetty Green

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

That's the thing, I don't necessarily he's purely a sniper. His shot is his most dangerous asset, but he has very good vision, and you just don't know where the offense is going to come from. The opponents have to be on him and give him so much respect, that he can feed it to someone else to generate a scoring chance.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
That's the thing, I don't necessarily he's purely a sniper. His shot is his most dangerous asset, but he has very good vision, and you just don't know where the offense is going to come from. The opponents have to be on him and give him so much respect, that he can feed it to someone else to generate a scoring chance.

So true. Robitaille really had no physical game or power. Arthur is powerful and still growing. He's worked hard with the Kings strength trainer and the Hmailton strength trainer said he looked
physically stronger, just after 2 months with the Kings trainer! And they are working now on his lower body strength and training for skating and athleticism. Can you imagine how strong and
powerful he will be at 20 or 21? I think he makes the Kings this coming year, with a good Summer and camp. No matter, he's going to arrive soon. And snipe from day 1.

Reactions: ibleedkings

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
My favorite prospect once drafted and he's just solidified it.

Last goal scorer the Kings had like this in Juniors was Toffoli. I know he's blah now but the point is he carried it right on over at the NHL level until he got too much of South Bay.

This kid will be an NHL player. You don't score like this in the OHL at this age and size and not pan out.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So true. Robitaille really had no physical game or power. Arthur is powerful and still growing. He's worked hard with the Kings strength trainer and the Hmailton strength trainer said he looked
physically stronger, just after 2 months with the Kings trainer! And they are working now on his lower body strength and training for skating and athleticism. Can you imagine how strong and
powerful he will be at 20 or 21? I think he makes the Kings this coming year, with a good Summer and camp. No matter, he's going to arrive soon. And snipe from day 1.
Making the Kings next year has to be the target. Given how dominant he is proving to be this year it’s hard to imagine how an extra year of junior would be of benefit. As long as he continues to add strength and he improves some of his weaknesses it’s something we have to be hoping for. This kid really excites me (all of us?) and could easily end up one of the best players from his draft class of he reaches his ceiling. Right now a redraft would mean he wouldn't have been available at #22, let alone in the 2nd round.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Arty Party is potentially the best 2nd round pick since the Kings drafted Voynov, Simmonds, Clifford, and Toffoli in a 4 year span. Haven't had an impact player from that round in a while, whiffed on a lot of guys.

Hopefully in a few seasons we are talking about how hitting on 2nd rounders like Kaliyev, Thomas, and JAD set us up for contention like it did during the cup years.
Since? If he hits his ceiling, he will eclipse the lot IMO. IF though is a big word...

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Making the Kings next year has to be the target. Given how dominant he is proving to be this year it’s hard to imagine how an extra year of junior would be of benefit. As long as he continues to add strength and he improves some of his weaknesses it’s something we have to be hoping for. This kid really excites me (all of us?) and could easily end up one of the best players from his draft class of he reaches his ceiling. Right now a redraft would mean he wouldn't have been available at #22, let alone in the 2nd round.

Yeah he's got literally nothing left to prove in juniors imo. Even if they just bring him up and give him sort of the 13th forward plan to get his feet wet and train with the team that would probably be preferable to junior. And let him go to the WJC and stuff of course.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yeah he's got literally nothing left to prove in juniors imo. Even if they just bring him up and give him sort of the 13th forward plan to get his feet wet and train with the team that would probably be preferable to junior. And let him go to the WJC and stuff of course.

While not every prospect is perfect, he can do plenty in juniors, in my opinion.

- have a leadership role
- win an OHL championship (edit: I spaced and forgot he did)
- perform better at higher stakes. This is the biggest. While he did well at the WJSS, competing for an actual team championship is tough, and his scoring drops significantly in the playoffs.

I won't go as far to say "he hasn't faced adversity," but he isn't above playing in the OHL. Maturation was an issue with him.

Last edited:

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
While not every prospect is perfect, he can do plenty in juniors, in my opinion.

- have a leadership role
- win an OHL championship
- perform better at higher stakes. This is the biggest. While he did well at the WJSS, competing for an actual team championship is tough, and his scoring drops significantly in the playoffs.

I won't go as far to say "he hasn't faced adversity," but he isn't above playing in the OHL. Maturation was an issue with him.
I agree. Hopefully he gets traded to a contender, and it’s hard to envisage that not happening.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
- have a leadership role

I don't know if you mean wearing a letter, but he is providing a decent leadership this season. His consistent scoring has kept the team middle of the pack so far this season when they were expected to be a basement team.

He has already won an OHL championship.

As a 16 year old rookie he put up better than a half point per game in the playoffs en route to an OHL championship with the Bulldogs. So, he seemed to do just fine in the playoffs that year. Outside of that playoff run, he had a 4 game stint where he put up 2 points. Is that what you are talking about when you say that his scoring drops significantly in the playoffs? Because that is a rather small sample size.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't know if you mean wearing a letter, but he is providing a decent leadership this season. His consistent scoring has kept the team middle of the pack so far this season when they were expected to be a basement team.

He has already won an OHL championship.

As a 16 year old rookie he put up better than a half point per game in the playoffs en route to an OHL championship with the Bulldogs. So, he seemed to do just fine in the playoffs that year. Outside of that playoff run, he had a 4 game stint where he put up 2 points. Is that what you are talking about when you say that his scoring drops significantly in the playoffs? Because that is a rather small sample size.

Yes, wearing a letter would be huge.

I spaced on Hamilton's championship. Sorry, should have been more focused in my response.

While it's a small sample size, he was a big key yesteryear and is the guy this year. His 11 points in 21 games, while a shade above .5 Pt/gm, is still a fairly sharp decline compared to regular season.

Regular season career (including this year): 1.22 pt/gm
Playoff career: .52 pt/gm

My point is "he has nothing to prove in the OHL" when he's just 18 years old is premature.

He's doing well there and is getting opportunities to grow as a person and professional. As he becomes physically stronger, he is going to be adjusting how he plays. That's okay.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

- have a leadership role

Right now, I agree. I'm talking about for next year. If he continues at this pace, I don't see a point in keeping him down. But I'll admit I'm making some assumptions on what he'll do this year.

Odds are he'll get traded to a playoff team and be less of a focus of the opposition. If he struggles in that role, then I'll be a little more worried. But leading the OHL in every way while being "the guy" on a mediocre-at-best team just screams "stagnated development" if he just sits there one more year.

Reactions: King'sPawn

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I agree. Hopefully he gets traded to a contender, and it’s hard to envisage that not happening.

It depends really. When Gabe Vilardi was traded in his 18 year old season by Windsor to a contender in Kingston, Warren Rychel (The Windsor GM) was all but told by the Kings that Gabe would be with the Kings in his 19 year old season (the injury prevented that eventually from occurring, but it was unknown at the time of the deal), so that pushed Rychel to ship him for assets (he said so in an interview). There are certainly no guarantees that Kaliyev will make the NHL at 19, so unless the same thing happens that did with Gabe, Hamilton may hold onto the asset. Really just depends on if there is communication with the Bulldogs GM and the Kings, and what the Hamilton GM thinks about his team with Kaliyev at 19 years old and whether or not he'll be a part of it. Puts the CHL teams with talented players in tough spot. I don't know enough about Hamilton to say that if they had Kaliyev at 19, if their team would be in contention or not next year for a playoff spot.

Reactions: RossLonsberryFan

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4