Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 14: Cam York, D, USNTDP --> Michigan

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I wanted soderstrom at 11 and he went there. There's going to be an organizational need after we lose a dman to expansion. York seems like a definite NHL player which your first round pick has to be. I don't hate it but I'll be comparing the two and that second rounder to see if it was worth it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know how you compare Soderstrom and York, similar size and talent, different style of play.
Soderstrom being a RHD might have been a better fit unless they liked what they saw of York at RHD.

But I don't think the #45 pick is the reason they went for York, I doubt they make that trade if they didn't feel York was equal or better than Soderstrom.

Reactions: Caress of Steel

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Upon further review it's difficult for me to see how York isn't the worst prospect taken from picks 11-17. But still mostly, whatever.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Well i wanted us to draft a D and we did and i did not want Caufield at all so i'm pretty happy .

Reactions: Devonator

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Yep, just like Simon Gagne and Claude Giroux

Hey, Justin Williams Too. And Mike Richards. I get it - maybe we are better at drafting in the 20s. But this is a guy who was on everybody's top 10 list. Giroux, Williams, and Gagne were not. We swung for the single and happened to hit it out of the park.

I also get Caufield might flop. But with his talent and the way the NHL is going, this guy has the tools. The only question was size. Maybe he'll be the next Drouin, but he might be Debrincat - he has that type of pedigree. York has Torey Krug pedigree. I like Krug, but when was the last time the Flyers had a 40 goal scorer? 2009 with Carter?

None of our prospects look to be monster scorers. It would be nice to at least hope to have one.

I always like the draft because it is the one time I can think the Flyers have hope, where I can live in La-la land and think the player we got will be the next surprise or next great Flyer. Of course, it is an illusion, but I like to fool myself. Having a guy like Caufield gives me 3 months where I think the team will be great. Fletcher robbed me of that illusion. Maybe I should thank him for keeping me from getting hopes up and facing reality. So, really, it is just a personal problem.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Upon further review it's difficult for me to see how York isn't the worst prospect taken from picks 11-17. But still mostly, whatever.

I prefer York to Newhook and Knight; Krebs and York seems similar at different positions. I prefer York still. Soderstrom versus York is mostly a wash; just a preference thing, but no really clear answer. Boldy and Caufield, yes, but they lost out on the former once they acquired a 2nd rounder. I'm not going to pretend that I thought Caufield would actually happen. That's on them, not me fwiw.

Everyone was pretty much in the same tier, and it was splitting hairs to me based on how style or how you value upside/floor/whatever else in between.

I would've taken York at 3rd overall over Dach and at 8th overall over Broberg. What does that say? :laugh: (I had Seider and Cozens right next to York too).

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

He's the dish off master. He truly is a #4 upside dman. Nothing special, nothing glaring bad

The Fletch special...mediocrity as per usual

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe he'll be the next Drouin, but he might be Debrincat - he has that type of pedigree. Y

But how good of a player is Debrincat, not how good of a scorer.
Even with a 40 goal season, is Debrincat an elite player or a one dimensional scorer?
And how well does that translate to playoffs - Gaudreau for example ES 2-3 5 in 20 PO games.

I don't think Caufield has HR potential, that is, a dominant player.
He will score, but also be exploited on defense.
He has the potential to be a top scorer in the regular season, but will probably struggle in the playoffs.
He should be a good forward, but not one where gnashing of teeth is required.

Reactions: hatcher

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Top u18 defensemen scoring in USHL history. Good company.

1b2e836cb68c654690e570ef17de63fe.png

Cable

Feb 13, 2010
Honestly, I would have liked any of, Podkolzin, Boldy, Caulfield, Krebs, Newhook, Broberg, or Seider. Unfortunately, most of them where gone at 11, so moving down was the only smart move Chuck Fletcher has made since arriving in Philadelphia as our GM. But, then, he ruins it with the Cam York selection.

Now, sure, I think he’ll be a solid player for years to come, yet I don’t think his impact will be that of the individuals selected after him, especially prospects like Caulfield, Krebs or Newhook.

Side note: Best Draft was Colorado Avalanche.

Reactions: WCSGarrett

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Don't really know too much about York, but you need smart, skilled Dmen, The Flyers scouts would have seen a lot of York while scouting Farabee (and Hain). Let's see if he turns out to be an ice general and a PPQB.

I probably would've just taken Boldy, but if the scouts are for York, I'll defer. I haven't seen any of them enough, frankly.

Looking at all the York youtube hightlights he seems like a pretty smart player. Almost like Kimmo, just calm and moves the puck. Efficient, and he can play with great skilled players.
Not a wow pick by Chuckles and Blah, but if this is really the scouts' guy, I'll wait and see.

We all had questions about Sanheim and Frost in the first hours after their drafts. I just don't feel like killing York over it, he's clearly a player with some potential. BPA on your list. That's the point of having scouts.

Off to watch the US games at U18.... joys of being Cdn with a PVR!

And I like this one, see the chance to hammer someone, take it.

One more...

He's the Anti-AMac!

2019 NHL Draft prospect profile: Cam York had a strong performance with the US U18 Team

From a Habs' site:
So what makes Cam York effective?
He excels between blue lines at breaking off opposing rushes. The tracked data from Mitch Brown shows that he is one of the best defenceman in the 2019 draft class at defending zone entries, angling opposing forwards to the boards and sweeping the puck away, even occasionally using his body to wall the entry to his defensive end.

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Don't really know too much about York, but you need smart, skilled Dmen, The Flyers scouts would have seen a lot of York while scouting Farabee (and Hain). Let's see if he turns out to be an ice general and a PPQB.

I probably would've just taken Boldy, but if the scouts are for York, I'll defer. I haven't seen any of them enough, frankly.

Looking at all the York youtube hightlights he seems like a pretty smart player. Almost like Kimmo, just calm and moves the puck. Efficient, and he can play with great skilled players.
Not a wow pick by Chuckles and Blah, but if this is really the scouts' guy, I'll wait and see.

We all had questions about Sanheim and Frost in the first hours after their drafts. I just don't feel like killing York over it, he's clearly a player with some potential. BPA on your list. That's the point of having scouts.

Off to watch the US games at U18.... joys of being Cdn with a PVR!

And I like this one, see the chance to hammer someone, take it.

York is f*** awesome.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
As a York fan, when your director of scouting throws out the words "extremely dynamic," it does make me wonder if we saw the same player. Gostisbehere is "extremely dymamic." I'd sooner call York Peppermint Pattie "extremely poised."

We all had questions about Sanheim and Frost in the first hours after their drafts.

Did we though? :naughty:

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
False.

Internet hoax.

Plus no one from Michigan State would let his son attend Michigan and vice versa

64306726_2255702587811313_3273498281109194730_n.jpg

U.S. National Under-18 Team - 2018-19 Regular Season - Roster - #2 - Cam York - D

HOCKEY RELATED QUESTIONS

Favorite NHL player: Nick Leddy

Most memorable moment: Winning the National Championship Bantam year

LIFESTYLE QUESTIONS

Three famous dinner invitees:
Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian and Auston Matthews

What celebrity would you carpool karaoke with? Kim Kardashian

ADDITIONAL NOTES
  • Son of Jeff and Teri York
  • Has two brothers — Garrett (21) and Cole (20).
  • Won silver at the IIHF U18 World Championship
  • Won the World U17 Hockey Challenge
  • Eligible for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft
wtf with this kardashian curse on philly. first simmons now this kid, sheesh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad