Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Very happy to see Morin get the call....especially when the Devils could be doing some foolish crap.

As people said, play a simple game. It will be funny after the game....play bad, and some will say he is a bust. Play well, and he will be a hero.

In the end, we "hopefully" are entering a world where our pairing could all be good and a Morin/Ghost 3rd pairing could be wonderful.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyer fans need to be a little patient with Morin, look at Gudas and you get a feel how he might develop, a little shaky at first, getting used to NHL speed and what refs will allow him to get away with, but after a couple years becoming a physical force on the blue line.

When we got Gudas he was a throw-in, two years later he's the rock of the defense.

Morin has more physical talent than Gudas, but will play a similar role and probably have to go through similar growing pains (and given his height, he has to be extra careful with those elbows).

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Very happy to see Morin get the call....especially when the Devils could be doing some foolish crap.

As people said, play a simple game. It will be funny after the game....play bad, and some will say he is a bust. Play well, and he will be a hero.

In the end, we "hopefully" are entering a world where our pairing could all be good and a Morin/Ghost 3rd pairing could be wonderful.

All he has to do tonight to have us talking about him all summer is pummel 44. I think he definitely drops the gloves tonight.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyer fans need to be a little patient with Morin, look at Gudas and you get a feel how he might develop, a little shaky at first, getting used to NHL speed and what refs will allow him to get away with, but after a couple years becoming a physical force on the blue line.

When we got Gudas he was a throw-in

He was never a throw-in. Hextall was always very high on him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The pick was the main piece though. Gudas was a bonus.

That I agree with....but a bonus is different than a throw in. I give credit for Hextall grabbing a player that was in the shelf, that can play in the top 4 Dmen.

Tampa would love to have him back.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Great news really excited for Sam some devils r going to take some lumps tonight. Hoping people don't get too excited if he gets sent back down tomorrow the phantoms have a huge game vs Hershey tomorrow night for playoff seeding.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Gudas is unique when it comes to physical dmen. He is instinctively proactive either pinching or standing up guys on defensive blue line. Not many players like that.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Provorov-Gudas - shut down anyone and give Provy a longer leash.
Morin-Sanheim - almost a full season together in the AHL.
Hagg-Gostisbehere - great chemistry in TCamp 3 on 3 tourneys.
Amac/Manning

Larry, you're going to put three rookies in the lineup next year at the same time? No thanks. Also, I wouldn't use Hagg and Ghost together. They will get bodied off the puck all night long.

Finally, you have Mandog as the 7th/8th???? Surely that was just an oversight on your part.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
That I agree with....but a bonus is different than a throw in. I give credit for Hextall grabbing a player that was in the shelf, that can play in the top 4 Dmen.

Tampa would love to have him back.
No doubt, it was a great trade for us.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

When we got Gudas he was a throw-in, two years later he's the rock of the defense.

Morin has more physical talent than Gudas, but will play a similar role and probably have to go through similar growing pains (and given his height, he has to be extra careful with those elbows).

Gudas definitely wasn't a throw in...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Larry, you're going to put three rookies in the lineup next year at the same time? No thanks. Also, I wouldn't use Hagg and Ghost together. They will get bodied off the puck all night long.

Finally, you have Mandog as the 7th/8th???? Surely that was just an oversight on your part.

When the rookies are all NHL ready and are among your 6 best defensemen, yes..you play them.

Manning will not be a regular next season. He will get spot duty during injuries. Face the facts. He was given more responsibility this year and failed miserably outside of a decent first 10 games.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is Gudas the most underratted dman in the league? He has to be up there. He is this generations Adam Foote.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Anyone who saw Gudas play his first couple of seasons in the league in Tampa would have immediately fell in love with him like I did.

Not only was he a complete throwback-style bodychecking defenseman, it was pretty clear he had talent to go with it. I was shocked Yzerman traded him and beyond thrilled when the Flyers acquired him. I assume Tampa was worried about his knee and Hextall struck at the right time.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Is Gudas the most underratted dman in the league? He has to be up there. He is this generations Adam Foote.
Tbf, having so many ****** defensemen in our lineup night after night can make a solid d-man look like Lidstrom. :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was never a throw-in. Hextall was always very high on him.

Tampa liked him a lot too. It was just unfortunate he had some injuries or he probably would have stayed and they wouldn't have needed Coburn as much. Tampa fans liked him a lot based on their posts after the trade.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He easily is for the sole fact that most non flyers fans think he's a plug.

Exactly. The reality and the perception are so far off. Gudas is a ****ing beast and everyone jus thinks he's a cheapshot goon. Funny thing is, has he even injured anyone with any of his big hits? Maybe that one kid on Buffalo?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

We had Manning, Ghost and Medvedev last year....

Hagg is solid physically.

Manning SHOULD be the #7 Dman.....with AMac down in LV....in a perfect world.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We had Manning, Ghost and Medvedev last year....

Hagg is solid physically.

Manning SHOULD be the #7 Dman.....with AMac down in LV....in a perfect world.

I really don't think it's that crazy to think that Hextall could trade MacDonald with 50% retention. He serves no purpose going forward. He isn't good enough to play on a top pair and is standing in the way of kids on the second and third pair.

Vegas needs assets and would be wise to bring in Mac at 50% with a draft pick in tow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad