Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's not an offensive player at the NHL, lacks the first "step" quickness and the ability to deke through crowds.

Morin will be like Gudas, he'll live at the point and will have to learn to maneuver to get his shot through traffic onto the goal. He'll attack occassionally, but his primary role will be to cover defensively for a more skilled and aggressive partner.
That's okay. The good news, according to you, is that he should be able to develop his offensive game in the NHL.

Myers plays more of a defensive role in juniors, so the adjustment won't be as great, it's easier for a talented young defenseman to gradually develop his offensive game in the NHL than it is for a talented offensive defensemen to adjust to being more conservative and responsible. That's because offensive defensemen often get exposed by the speed of the NHL, what worked in juniors doesn't anymore, but proper positioning and the willingness to mix it up (i.e. go into corners and clear the crease) play well at the next level.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Can't wait until this kid is ready, but am also glad that they're not just plugging him into the big club at any cost. This teams D down the road, wow...
there are a number of factors here.

If we didn't have Schultz, streit, mdz, amac he would make the team.

He's likely the first call up and for sure next year with no Streit and IMO A Mac being a decent LV target.

Best thing we did for Morin was draft two more higher potential D men. Now Morin can slot in eventually second pair and end up being "a number 2 talent" playing in a number 4 role.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's okay. The good news, according to you, is that he should be able to develop his offensive game in the NHL.

That's why they're having him focus on his defensive game. Once it becomes second nature, then he can start becoming more aggressive on offense

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He should. Phantoms play tomorrow and the Flyers next game isn't until Saturday. Hopefully he gets paired with Ghost.

Hopefully he doesn't feel the need to fight and he can just go out and play. He's still a work in progress but I'm happy for him. He's been a good soldier and he deserves a little taste of the next level.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Good ...something new to watch.

Next year we better see some of these prospects make the team so that they can start developing in the NHL. Hextall needs to turn the heat up on the kitchen range...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Whether it's a head injury or a chest injury, Gudas should be rested for the rest of the season. He's too valuable to risk coming back early in meaningless games.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
there are a number of factors here.

If we didn't have Schultz, streit, mdz, amac he would make the team.

He's likely the first call up and for sure next year with no Streit and IMO A Mac being a decent LV target.

Best thing we did for Morin was draft two more higher potential D men. Now Morin can slot in eventually second pair and end up being "a number 2 talent" playing in a number 4 role.

Next year MDZ and Schultz will be gone. We'll still have Gudas, Provorov and Gostisbehere as the core of the D. Macdonald and Manning are irrelevant filler, either one can be dealt or sent down to the AHL anytime. If LV were to take either one, it would be a miracle (or require a good incentive we might not like to give up).

Morin, Sanheim and Hagg are all ready for NHL duty. I would start all 3 on the Flyers next year. Let'em play and see what we have. With Myers, Friedman coming within a year or two, and both the Swedes developing well, the D corps is stacked with promising prospects. There is also a guy like Willcox who might end up as a bottom pairing guy someday.

Provorov-Gudas - shut down anyone and give Provy a longer leash.
Morin-Sanheim - almost a full season together in the AHL.
Hagg-Gostisbehere - great chemistry in TCamp 3 on 3 tourneys.
Amac/Manning

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Finally!

I'm really excited for the start of Samuel Morin's career. He has had a lot of doubters since being drafted that high in the 1st round. He will have some ups and downs along the way but I think he is going to be an integral part of our defensive core for mannny years.

Damn Flyers, they get eliminated from the playoffs and still figure out a way to force us all to watch. Morin tonight. Vecchione on Saturday.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
He should. Phantoms play tomorrow and the Flyers next game isn't until Saturday. Hopefully he gets paired with Ghost.

Hopefully he doesn't feel the need to fight and he can just go out and play. He's still a work in progress but I'm happy for him. He's been a good soldier and he deserves a little taste of the next level.

I am so happy for this young man. I hope this is the start of a solid career for us. You know he is going to be jacked.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Finally!

I'm really excited for the start of Samuel Morin's career. He has had a lot of doubters since being drafted that high in the 1st round. He will have some ups and downs along the way but I think he is going to be an integral part of our defensive core for mannny years.

Damn Flyers, they get eliminated from the playoffs and still figure out a way to force us all to watch. Morin tonight. Vecchione on Saturday.

Not this fan. I was beating the drum for the Flyers to draft him where they picked. I know I am blowing my own horn but this young man is a Flyer and just what we need on the back end.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not this fan. I was beating the drum for the Flyers to draft him where they picked. I know I am blowing my own horn but this young man is a Flyer and just what we need on the back end.

I wanted Domi there on draft day, but I got on board with Morin soon after the Draft.

Flyers fans, in general, seem to be supportive of him. His doubters come from outside of our fandom.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I love Morin's personality and am rooting big-time for him.

I'm worried about his puckhandling and vision under NHL speed and pressure, and from what I've seen I'm not sure if he'll be more than a 3rd pairing defenseman, but he certainly has great size, good straight-line speed, a physical edge, and a lot of room for development. I'm glad he'll be in the lineup, and he should at least be an asset on the PK.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Hopefully he is up for good. I was starting to get a bit worried but it should be fun to see him banging bodies in the NHL!

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Morin just needs to play simple. Very very simple. Don't try to be Provorov or Ghost. Play his game, play the boards, take the body. No need to be fancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad