Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
samuelmorin.jpg

-----------------------------------

9157590_448x252.jpg

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - June 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Samuel Morin called Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger his idol.

Morin never imagined they'd meet like this.

Pronger was among the first to shake Morin's hand after Philadelphia took the defenseman on Sunday with the 11th pick of the NHL draft.

Owner Ed Snider, general manager Paul Holmgren and Pronger were all on the Prudential Center stage to greet Morin after the pick was announced.

Morin, who played for Rimouski of the QMJHL, could be at least a year or two away from making the team.

"I don't know if I'll be like him," Morin said of Pronger.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/sports/pro/hockey&id=9157520

----------------------------------------

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/articles/996968-nhl-draft-profile-samuel-morin

Samuel Morin

• Hometown: St. Henri, PQ
  • Birth Date: 1995-07-12
  • Height: 6-7
  • Weight: 202 lbs
  • Shoots: Left
  • Position: Defense

2012-13 Stats

• 47 Games Played, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
  • 4 Goals
  • 12 Assists
  • 16 Points
  • 117 PIM
  • -10 plus/minus

• Central Scouting Rank: #23 in North America
  • Pro Comparison: Luke Schenn

Overview:
You can't teach size. At 6-foot-7, Morin is the largest prospect in the draft, and after adding a little muscle would become one of the largest players in the NHL. Many players his size struggle to skate, but Morin has is a surprisingly quick skater with great side-to-side movement. He's capable of rushing the puck up the ice, though that is not his strength. He makes smart plays with the puck and positions himself well. Along with such great size, obviously comes a tremendous amount of reach.

His overall offensive game needs some refinement. He has a booming slapshot, but there is still plenty of room for improvement on that side of the puck. He also needs to add some weight to fill out his massively tall frame.

Morin will go in the mid-to-late 1st round to a team looking to fill size and depth on the blue line. Look for Columbus to take a long look at him with the #19th pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I like it. Would have preferred they trade back and get him, but with Nurse and Risto gone, I'll take it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Disappointed Nichushkin went one pick earlier, but as I said they had to go for the upside here.

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
Could have got him later. a physical D-man with almost no offensive ability at all. In a draft this strong that should not be the 11th overall pick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We knew there was a reason Ed was in the house...

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
TSN did a profile video two days ago on this kid. Watch it, realize Flyers draft well and only take BPA and be happy.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Was upset at taking Morin at 11 thought he would be available in the later part of the 1st round. Hope he can develop into something special. I'll put my faith in Nolet and the scouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad