Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yup. He was a throw in to those Flyers fans that never/rarely saw him play....not Hextall.

No point linking the post since the guy must have changed his name or left, but this must be the hottest, and most inaccurate take in this board's history:

"Gudas sucks, not sure why we even got him. He makes Luke Schenn look like Bobby Orr skating wise, if you can even believe that."

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I really don't think it's that crazy to think that Hextall could trade MacDonald with 50% retention. He serves no purpose going forward. He isn't good enough to play on a top pair and is standing in the way of kids on the second and third pair.

Vegas needs assets and would be wise to bring in Mac at 50% with a draft pick in tow.

Amac is so fraking bad that it still might require a cap dump going other way to offload him at 50%. Even then with his increasing salary I doubt any money conscious team would even consider taking him. Best bet is Hexy taking advantage of one of Benning, Sweeney or Ciarelli and taking back some trash in likes of Hayes, Dorsett or Pouliot.

It can't be understated how beneficial for flyers it would were he no longer playing on our top pair.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No point linking the post since the guy must have changed his name or left, but this must be the hottest, and most inaccurate take in this board's history:

"Gudas sucks, not sure why we even got him. He makes Luke Schenn look like Bobby Orr skating wise, if you can even believe that."

Ha! I remember that guy. Repeatedly claiming that Gudas was less mobile than Luke Schenn. It was clear the guy had never seen Gudas play and was just making it up. Either that or he was a hard core Luke Schenn fan and psychologically couldn't come to terms with the Flyers acquiring someone much better than Schenn in a physical blueline role.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Amac is so fraking bad that it still might require a cap dump going other way to offload him at 50%. Even then with his increasing salary I doubt any money conscious team would even consider taking him. Best bet is Hexy taking advantage of one of Benning, Sweeney or Ciarelli and taking back some trash in likes of Hayes, Dorsett or Pouliot.

It can't be understated how beneficial for flyers it would were he no longer playing on our top pair.

Amac at $2.5 mil is a NHL player. The league average is right around $2.5 mil. His problem is that he's paid twice that much, and played to match. Half the money + ~half the time= serviceable en-lieu of better options. Add in the draft pick for someone to take him, and that's a fair deal.

I feel dirty now, but that's not a ridiculous statement.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2017/caphit/all/defense
search between $2 & $3 mil. There are guys on that list a lot better than Amac, but also a few who are worse.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Remember when Berube thought he was ready in training camp a few seasons ago? Glad he played basically 2 full seasons with Phantoms.

Seasoning is necessary for really big men to get them some coordination.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=139539

Look at Colton Parayko. He'll turn 24 shortly, after two full NHL years at 35ish points. When he played for Chicago Wolves in the AHL after 3 years at college, I saw him live and he looked like a newborn giraffe skating on the ice. Very awkward. Could not handle the puck. He would have been 21 going on 22. By the next camp he was a NHLer for good - and a good one.

Sam turns 22 in July so he's can still get more coordinated as he matures. I think he'll play well and then just get better and better. Good luck to him!

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Next year MDZ and Schultz will be gone. We'll still have Gudas, Provorov and Gostisbehere as the core of the D. Macdonald and Manning are irrelevant filler, either one can be dealt or sent down to the AHL anytime. If LV were to take either one, it would be a miracle (or require a good incentive we might not like to give up).

Morin, Sanheim and Hagg are all ready for NHL duty. I would start all 3 on the Flyers next year. Let'em play and see what we have. With Myers, Friedman coming within a year or two, and both the Swedes developing well, the D corps is stacked with promising prospects. There is also a guy like Willcox who might end up as a bottom pairing guy someday.

Provorov-Gudas - shut down anyone and give Provy a longer leash.
Morin-Sanheim - almost a full season together in the AHL.
Hagg-Gostisbehere - great chemistry in TCamp 3 on 3 tourneys.
Amac/Manning
I think sanheim gets one more year.

Hagg and Morin, if they are still Flyers property, are near locks on the big club.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Perfect opportunity for Sam Morin to get in a couple of games in a no pressure situation.
In the worst case, Hakstol limits his ice time and plays him 10min a game but at least he will get an idea on what to work on over the summer.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Scott Gordon said if this was January/Feb he'd be concerned, but Morin has really turned a corner. Focuses a lot on his game, doesn't over think or try to do too much. Has become more reliable.

Sounds like what we need back there on D.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Provorov - MacDonald
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin - Gostisbehere
Manning

Gostisbehere, Sanheim, & Provorov on the PP. Provorov, Morin, Gudas, & MacDonald on the PK. Essentially Manning replaces Schultz as the spare. Morin replaces Manning. Sanheim replaces Del Zotto. I think that's your opening night defense next year.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Provorov - MacDonald
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin - Gostisbehere
Manning

Gostisbehere, Sanheim, & Provorov on the PP. Provorov, Morin, Gudas, & MacDonald on the PK. Essentially Manning replaces Schultz as the spare. Morin replaces Manning. Sanheim replaces Del Zotto. I think that's your opening night defense next year.

I'd still rather have Manning in the lineup instead of AMac, but I do think he'll be the 7 next year. Hey, I'm a realist.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think sanheim gets one more year.

Hagg and Morin, if they are still Flyers property, are near locks on the big club.

Sanheim has less experience but he's easily the best of the three. 80+ AHL games and a strong camp should be enough to get him on the team, especially as the MDZ replacement for PP2.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
AMac isn't going anywhere since Hakstol is a poor judge of talent and I'm not so certain that Hextall disagrees. If AMac isn't bought out or traded this year I would start to worry that Hextall isn't as good of a GM as some think.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hey, I'm a realist.

No, you're a defeatist, boxcar. I expected more from you. Where's your passion....where's your faith?

ManDog is going to train his ass off this summer, working harder than ever before, and dammit he WILL win a top 6 spot!

....on the Reading Royals

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I don't want him on the team at all but I'm trying to be realistic here as I don't think he's going anywhere sadly. Despite their heaps of praise at any chance possible for Hagg I just don't see them taking both Morin & Hagg given they fill the same roles. Morin gets the call-up today & even with Hagg's improvement Morin has kept the most responsibility of the two down there in their roles. So I think he gets the nod. Neither guy is a PP guy which the Flyers need more as of right now. So I don't think Sanheim is competing with those two but rather with Myers.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Amac at $2.5 mil is a NHL player. The league average is right around $2.5 mil. His problem is that he's paid twice that much, and played to match. Half the money + ~half the time= serviceable en-lieu of better options. Add in the draft pick for someone to take him, and that's a fair deal.

I feel dirty now, but that's not a ridiculous statement.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2017/caphit/all/defense
search between $2 & $3 mil. There are guys on that list a lot better than Amac, but also a few who are worse.

Lets not pretend that it's going rate. Teams overpay their homegrown talent to come to regret it later. Seideberg, fat Schenn and Quincy all got 1 million and they are all superior players to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad