GDT: Round 1, Game 3: Nashville Predators @ Colorado Avalanche | April 16th, 8PM MT - Home sweet home

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
The win tonight was gravy on a season I fully expected to end in a favorable draft lottery pick. I love this team. The Avs have been the better team for most of the series, IMO. I can't help but think what might be if EJ and Varly were healthy. There's a ton of pressure on Nashville. They were supposed to sweep our lowly upstarts.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Took me to about halfway through this game to engage in this series for some reason. Been too long I guess. Call me Jarome Iginla. I'm ready for the next game, though. That crowd was rocking, honestly gave me goose bumps at the beginning of the game and brought a tear to my eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 21

Draisaitl

Dude, where's Makar?
Oct 18, 2013
Berlin
giphy.com
I dislike almost everything about this Nashville team. Never understood the bandwagon hype on our board. Their logo might be the worest in the entire western world. Ryan Johansen :thumbd:

Ellis has the same weird unaesthetic skating style as our beloved Colin Wilson hah

Josi on the other hand is a player on their roster that I'm really jealous of. Other than that it's all monkey business ;)

edit: This series has hit me pretty hard already^^

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Are the refs ever going to call a penalty on Subban for literally punching guys in the face? I'm really beginning to hate this Nashville team for the crap they get away with.

I'm even more motivated now to cheer for a series victory. Let's start with next game, shall we?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Really important the Avs stay disciplined though, not giving the Predators too many pp chances.

Zadorov has been more disciplined lately which is great (very surprising in a good way).

Yes, a bit strange, I didnt think about Nashville as a dirty team before this series but now the entire hockey world see for themselves, Nashville is a dirty team. There is also a chance that the Avs are making them dirty because the Avs is a very young underrated speedy talanted team.

I still love the fanbase in Nasvhille though, the support is massive and impressive.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Some quotes from the other board
Colorado has been the better team for probably at least 6/12 periods and this series and has appeared to be the hungrier team in probably all of them.

without their #1 defenseman and starting goalie and a top 4 defenseman the past 2 games. that's the scary (sad?) part.

Reactions: MarkT

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs being competitive in every game is all we can ask for. That they are doing it with the injuries and Barrie/Rantanen not really playing that great is excellent.

I like playoff Kerfoot. He's not a big guy but he battles.

coloradotim

Nov 5, 2017
I'm mostly a lurker here. I was an Avs season ticket holder from day one, who now has a fan plan (great as it gives me the right to purchase playoff tickets - I go to all the playoff games!). The atmosphere at the Pepsi Center last night was fantastic. Joe Sakic summed it up well in this quote (from an article in The Athletic):

“It’ll be enjoyable for me to sit and just see the building the way, the way it used to be,” Sakic added. “The way, how we remember it as a player. It’s been a long time. But I can tell you the city really believes in this team and this group, the way they work and compete and play for one another. I know that the whole city’s really rallied behind them, especially the last month. You see them fight and get to this point, this spot it’s going to be great. The building’s going to be alive. The excitement here, we haven’t seen this in a long, long time”​

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Btw playoff Landeskog is a beast. What a monster game.

I've said it before (as have others), but Landeskog changing his style during the regular season will only help him have more longevity in his career, and hopefully that includes more playoff games like last night. His f***ing effort on MacKinnon's first goal? Jesus that was insane.

Also, the Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau line deserves a lot of praise, they were great.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I've said it before (as have others), but Landeskog changing his style during the regular season will only help him have more longevity in his career, and hopefully that includes more playoff games like last night. His ****ing effort on MacKinnon's first goal? Jesus that was insane.

Also, the Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau line deserves a lot of praise, they were great.

I remember Landy when really young, for me an ok Landeskog game back then was => 5 shots on goal and => 5 hits, he played with tons of intensity, him and ROR outworking everybody else (including the opponents). If playing like this every single game during the regular season you are right, it could possible wear him out. ;-)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I remember Landy when really young, for me an ok Landeskog game back then was => 5 shots on goal and => 5 hits, he played with tons of intensity, him and ROR outworking everybody else (including the opponents). If playing like this every single game during the regular season you are right, it could possible wear him out. ;-)

Well, not even thinking of just "wearing him out" in the sense of he's tired. Think about what that style of play does to a body, over many years? Can you imagine how much quicker it would (likely) break down? How many injuries that were, at first, deemed "minor" or "nagging", but are now keeping him out?

He did the smart thing by adjusting his style. The playoffs are a different animal, and that's where you lay all that out on the line.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Hard to be too upset, but it should be noted the Preds dove their way to two more penalties. Fiala diving after Barrie barely touched him, and then Hartman falling to the ice and laying there like he was shot that gave Nashville the 5 on 3.

That's four total in three games with PK and Ellis snapping their head back for penalties. Five if you count Turris embellishment on Landy's trip, and six if you count Watson's dive that he got called for with Barberio's BS interference.

The whole team does it.

Everyone except my boy Sissons. He's too busy killing penalties and scoring on us.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Landy was more around 6'3" 225-230... he could probably play the more physical game, more often. Given his average size, he needed to change his style to not fade at 26-27. But I love that he can ratchet it up when needed and provide what he did last night. He was incredible last night!

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I fell asleep after the third, eastern time makes it tough to stay up for all of these late games. But the first was a good period, looks like the preds tried to make it a game the last couple of periods. I am glad they did not sit on the lead and wait to lose it, that they kept pushing.

I hope Girard is healthy (and fully healthy not playoff healthy) for game 4 so he can take some of Barbeiro minutes, but good for the Avs. If they want to keep winning though they really need to get the PP working, and a lot of that has to do with Rantanen getting better. Looks mostly mental for him, but 2/3 of a top line is not as good as 3/3 of one.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I've said it before (as have others), but Landeskog changing his style during the regular season will only help him have more longevity in his career, and hopefully that includes more playoff games like last night. His ****ing effort on MacKinnon's first goal? Jesus that was insane.

Nieto especially deserves credit for coming back after blocking that huge shot and continuing to play with intensity.

Reactions: MarkT and 21

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
If Landy was more around 6'3" 225-230... he could probably play the more physical game, more often. Given his average size, he needed to change his style to not fade at 26-27. But I love that he can ratchet it up when needed and provide what he did last night. He was incredible last night!

Yeah I'm happy he won't go the way of Brendan Morrow where he could almost never stay healthy in the second half of his career, or go the Dustin Brown route and be unable to score more than 30 points for about 5 years after a huge injury and finally readjusting his game to become effective again.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Very, VERY different players. Not even comparable.

nizlqvhdidihcle.jpg

Reactions: Foppberg

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
So, I just dove deep into Subban research. I always knew he was a bit of a dirty player, but there just seems to be endless examples of really dirty plays and him diving. I now have my current least favourite player in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad