WC: Roster Talk '11 – Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Id expect Benn, Richards, Robidas and Morrow to get invites.

I expect Benn to except, and hope Robidas would too

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Giordano has already said no to joining Team Canada. :shakehead

Really? Youd think hed jump on this chance, especially with the improvements hes made over the past 2 years. I mean, its unlikely, but also very possible that a couple good WC, and furthur defensive development could put him in contention for 2014.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
A realistic lineup for me, taking into consideration who I think will be eliminated round one (NYR, BUF, PIT, BOS | CHI, LAK, ANA, DET). Though I don't think all will send players of course. A lot of players are going to decline to "injury", so I wouldn't count on top players coming that haven't already said so. I have Correy Perry there since he needs his WC Gold to copy Niedermayer, TSN did their bit on it on him last year.

And of course its contingent on the teams I have picked losing, actually losing lol.

John Tavares - Jason Spezza - Corey Perry
Jeff Skinner - Matt Duchene - Rick Nash
Andrew Ladd - Jamie Benn - Chris Stewart
Clarke MacArthur - Steve Ott - Gregory Campbell
Kyle Clifford

Dion Phanuef - Brent Burns
Tyler Myers - Mark Staal
Alex Pietrangelo - Luke Schenn
Travis Hamonic

Cam Ward
James Riemer
Steve Mason

Id expect Benn, Richards, Robidas and Morrow to get invites.

I expect Benn to except, and hope Robidas would too

Only Dallas guys I would expect to go are Ott and Benn.

Last edited:

Xelstyle

Jan 23, 2011
Chair and a Desk
Really? Youd think hed jump on this chance, especially with the improvements hes made over the past 2 years. I mean, its unlikely, but also very possible that a couple good WC, and furthur defensive development could put him in contention for 2014.

Yeah I was expecting him to be at the very least to be taking part in this but Gio said he had personal reasons to take care of at home.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
A lot of these guys have new kids or something like that so I can see if they don't care much, especially if they gave 100% every shift for 20 games down the stretch to have a shot at the playoffs. I think we can all understand someone declining for personal reasons.

I'm expecting Spezza to have a monster tournament this year. The way he's been playing lately, if he's given the responsibility, he will dominate with guys like Nash and/or Stewart.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
some people just dont read even a couple pages back and end up looking stupid

im not gunna repost the whole hall not getting permission a hundred more times, or gio and iggy declining, or schultz has a concussion..... seriously people, be optomistic but do your research first!!!

and good for you jcbio11 way to tell it how it is

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I'm really surprised Reimer has been named to the team but Schenn hasn't.

Any word if MacArthur, Lupul or Phaneuf were given invites?

Thrillingbroom

Jun 15, 2009
I'm really surprised Reimer has been named to the team but Schenn hasn't.

Any word if MacArthur, Lupul or Phaneuf were given invites?

I think they mentioned on HNIC that he was going to be formally invited after the game on Saturday. It wouldn't surprise me if Schenn wasn't invited initially as they were hoping for Keith/Seabrook but I can see him being invited now.

LadyM

I ain't even mad
Mar 4, 2011
Team Canada 2011

Accepted Invite:

1. Rick Nash
2. Andrew Ladd
3. Jason Spezza
4. Matt Duchene
5. Brent Burns
6. Chris Stewart
7. Alex Pietrangelo
8. John Tavares
9. James Reimer

Declined Invite:

1. Alex Tanguay
2. Jarome Iginla
3. Curtis Glencross
4. Mark Giordano
5. Jay Bouwmeester

Invite sent, but no reply yet:

1. Dion Phaneuf

Side Notes:

** Taylor Hall – was asked but Edmonton said no.
Tambellini did say Nonis had asked about the injured (sprained ankle) Taylor Hall but they gave Hockey Canada the two-thumbs down. “We want Taylor to do his rehab with us and get back skating here before he goes home (for the summer),†said Tambellini. Hall hasn’t played in a month, and needs another four weeks of treatment.

-----------------------------------

If I've made any mistakes or missed anyone, just let me know. We'll just keep updating this list as new players are added or requests are sent...just thought this would help us keep track of everything going on.

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D
Hope Spezza continues his absolute dominance he showed for the last quarter of the season in this tournament..

If he does the world better LOOKOUT

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Any specific reason that all of the Calgary players said no? Sorry, didn't read the whole thread.

tanguay and glencross (also a new father) both are UFA's, don't want to risk injury, Bouwmeester's getting married and Iginla and Giordano have family matters to deal with

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Does anyone know if Eberle got an invite? He's been pretty good this year and always brings his game to another level when he slips on the Canadian jersey.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
I wonder how Iggy apologists are going to spin this one. He's just not interested this tourney. Too bad, because I doubt he sees another Olympics.

He has basically been playing playoff hockey since late December, really cant fault any of the teams like Calgary,Dallas,Carolina etc... if they just dont have much gas left in the tank.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Id assume Schenn will be one of the later invites. Probably after the 1st round ends as teams like LA, Montreal, Chicago could offer Doughty, Seabrook, Campbell, Kieth, Subban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad