WC: Roster Talk '11 – Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Good for you Canada. North America rarely cares about this tournament but it's good to see a lot of your best are committing. Not the case here in the US, a lot of our best are still saying no. The most comical being RJ Umberger, who for the second straight year turned Team USA down to focus on getting his college degree. What's the matter RJ, you planning on getting a job in the private sector soon and need that degree to better your chances? Last I checked your career path is set and you're a bubble player for Sochi who is doing nothing to endear yourself to the USA brass. Stupid.

Anyway, sorry to get off on a tangent, but good for Canada that they're building a good roster. But whoever said Canada was now the clear favorite, you have to remember that the Euros still care about this tournament far more than USA or Canada, so having a top roster doesn't make you the automatic favorites.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Good for you Canada. North America rarely cares about this tournament but it's good to see a lot of your best are committing. Not the case here in the US, a lot of our best are still saying no. The most comical being RJ Umberger, who for the second straight year turned Team USA down to focus on getting his college degree. What's the matter RJ, you planning on getting a job in the private sector soon and need that degree to better your chances? Last I checked your career path is set and you're a bubble player for Sochi who is doing nothing to endear yourself to the USA brass. Stupid.

Anyway, sorry to get off on a tangent, but good for Canada that they're building a good roster. But whoever said Canada was now the clear favorite, you have to remember that the Euros still care about this tournament far more than USA or Canada, so having a top roster doesn't make you the automatic favorites.

I posted in the USA thread, but we might as well discuss it here.

Canada has only missed the gold medal game twice in the last 8 years, and both of those misses were in Olympic years. In 2006 I would argue had Crosby not been so beaten up in the last game we could have come out with a Bronze, and last year, well there is a lot to say about last year. :laugh:

Last year the team was far too young and too tired to compete well at the end of the season, not to mention MacTavish did just a terrible job coaching, it was so frustrating watching them try to go in up the boards over and over and over again, ugh.

A talented does give you a huge advantage, and Canada has used that advantage. It doesn't work every year, and it very well might not work this year, but it does make it more likely that you'll do well.

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Canada - World Championships

Roster updates and discussion.

C. Stewart, Peitrangelo, Duchene, Nash, Burns and Spezza. Anymore confirmed?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
BRENT BURNS!!!!!! :handclap:

He will be the Best Defenseman in the tournament again. Mark my words. :yo:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Depending if Dallas/Carolina eliminated could see Skinner, Staal, Benn, Ribeiro, Morrow, Richards, Ott and others go.

Of course they wouldn't all accept

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Sounds like Staal has been playing hurt, so I doubt he'll go.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I doubt Brad Richards goes even if DAL is eliminated.

He'll be the biggest UFA on the market this year and I doubt he does anything to jeopardize his chances of getting a huge contract.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Even if the casual fans might not care as much, I'm sure the players going do. Canada is usually to reckon with in this tournament even if many fans back home are more interested in the NHL playoffs. With how this team is forming they will be considered favorites. I'm sure the American players going care too, just that the team going usually isn't strong enough to be considered a medal team.

Now that 'Canes are out, it looks like Canada will get their top goaltender in Ward. Reimer is a good name for this tournament, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad