WC: Roster Talk '11 – Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
A talented does give you a huge advantage, and Canada has used that advantage. It doesn't work every year, and it very well might not work this year, but it does make it more likely that you'll do well.

I don't disagree that having a talented roster isn't better than having a non-talented one, but like you saw me say on the Team USA thread, talent alone doesn't win tournaments. Canada will have a great roster on paper, as they do every year. And that team will get there and get outplayed by the Euros who
simply care more. Like I said on the USA thread, the Europeans play this tournament like their life depends on it, while the North Americans play like they're only there for the beer, European women, and free vacation.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't disagree that having a talented roster isn't better than having a non-talented one, but like you saw me say on the Team USA thread, talent alone doesn't win tournaments. Canada will have a great roster on paper, as they do every year. And that team will get there and get outplayed by the Euros who
simply care more. Like I said on the USA thread, the Europeans play this tournament like their life depends on it, while the North Americans play like they're only there for the beer, European women, and free vacation.

Well I guess we might as well just keep Spezza, Nash and everyone else at home since this guy already knows that they'll just get outplayed by Europeans. It's not as if Canada has been in the final six of the last eight years, winning three times.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba

your so clueless

it amazes me

blows my friggin mind how ignorant you are

were going there to win, if you hadnt noticed, were kinda passionate about all hockey
look at the tv ratings for the mem cup during the lockout, you cant tell me people dont pay attention

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004

Stay on the US thread please.

Stansfield*

If Chicago gets knocked out today Toews, Keith, and Seabrook have no excuse not to go and Sharp and Campbell could play as well.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

As I said before, having a good roster has helped Canada every year, and has the hardware to show for it. I don't think missing the gold medal game twice in 8 years indicates that Europeans are better at this tournament than Canadians.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
If Chicago gets knocked out today Toews, Keith, and Seabrook have no excuse not to go and Sharp and Campbell could play as well.

I wish, but it isn't going to happen. Sharp was playing injured so likely not. THe other four went to the Finals last year, and are probably looking for a break.

I would love to see Keith and Seabrook in Slovakia though. With them, our defense automatically becomes the best in the tournament.

Last edited:

GM17*

I wish, but it isn't going to happy. Sharp was playing injured so likely not. THe other four went to the Finals last year, and are probably looking for a break.

I would love to see Keith and Seabrook in Slovakia though. With them, our defense automatically becomes the best in the tournament.

:cry:

On another note: I'd love to see Zajac there, last year we basically loaded up on young talent (Eberle played as a junior). Wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I could see maybe one of the Chicago 4 to go, but I highly doubt all 4 will be there. Toews seems like he might go, he's the kinda guy that will probably want to be playing in April and May no matter what, so I can see him going, but we'll see. I'm not counting any of them just yet.

So what do we have so far? (by the way, in no way am I saying these are the lines, just who we have)

Nash-Spezza-Ladd
Duchene-Tavares-Stewart

Pieterangelo-Burns

Reimer

Is that it so far? Or have I forgotten a whole lot already.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Are Toews, Seabrook and Keith all willing to play at the WCs? I know Seabrook and Keith never were on WC-winning teams, while Toews were.

Toews only went because he was still a junior that year, winning gold at the WJC. He hadn't turned pro so he was quite the special case.

If Chicago misses/bounces early, I imagine they'll all take the summer off and comeback like Crosby did, in great shape and health.

Also, what is the status of Staal (I assume injured and not going) and Ward? I'd rather not go digging for the answer, though I am sure it's obvious and I shouldn't be lazy.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava

That's gonna be great when I meet Rick Nash in the bar. I'll buy him a beer and we'll be buddies!

Please sir, get your head out of your ass. Canadian hockey players are professional athletes, they will want to win, just like every year.

And I am sure NHL players can afford to go on a vacation to Europe themselves. Without, you know, actually having to play hockey. I mean that's some vacation. It's your job to play competitive hockey and then you play more competitive hockey during your vacation. Coaches yell at you, all you see is pretty much the hotel and the arena.

vezna*

That's gonna be great when I meet Rick Nash in the bar. I'll buy him a beer and we'll be buddies!

Please sir, get your head out of your ass. Canadian hockey players are professional athletes, they will want to win, just like every year.

And I am sure NHL players can afford to go on a vacation to Europe themselves. Without, you know, actually having to play hockey. I mean that's some vacation. It's your job to play competitive hockey and then you play more competitive hockey during your vacation. Coaches yell at you, all you see is pretty much the hotel and the arena.
don't know if you've seen the past tournaments, because it's easy to tell NA players don't really care too much. they're not playing to risk their body for the WC, lol. it's not the Olympics, it doesn't get the fraction of attention.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
don't know if you've seen the past tournaments, because it's easy to tell NA players don't really care too much. they're not playing to risk their body for the WC, lol. it's not the Olympics, it doesn't get the fraction of attention.

Well it's the highlight of the hockey season here and that's all I care about.

ToasterStutzle

Aug 10, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
The best possible roster we COULD realistically throw together (im excluding Iginla because i dont believe he will come out due to his age and the fight the flames have been in the last 2-3 months

Nash-Spezza-Staal
Moulson-Richards-Tavares
Morrow-Duchene-Eberle
Ladd-Horcoff-Skinner

Phaneuf-Pietroangelo
Phillips-Burns
Giordano-Schenn/Cowen/ (Cowen maybe a bit of a homer pick but he was amazing in the WJC in a shutdown role i dont think hes available tho but if he is :yo:)
7thdman - Ryan Ellis

Ward
S.Mason
Brouder

NOW the lineup i believe theyll ice without including players joining due to their team loosing in the first round

Nash-Spezza-Eberle
Moulson-Staal-Tavares
Morrow-Duchene-Skinner
Ladd-Horcoff-Stewart

Phaneuf-Peitroangelo
Phillips-Burns
Schenn-Giordano
7th Dman- Schultz

S.Mason
Reimer

Status
Not open for further replies.