WC: Roster Talk '11 – Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Its still pretty difficult to predict at this point what the roster will look like given that its still hard to determine what teams are gonna be in the playoffs. I think its pretty safe to say though that Edmonton, Colorado, Columbus, and St. Louis is are out from the west, and Ottawa, New York, and Florida are out from the East. From that you can put together a short list of players.

Forwards:
Nash
Brassard
Vermette
Eberle
Horcoff (if not injured)
Gagner
Duchene
Stewart
McDonald
Tavares
Moulson
Spezza
Weiss

Defense:
Hamonic
Jackman
Petierangelo
Coliacovo
Russel
MacDonald
Wideman

I'm sure I'm probably missing some even from those teams I listed, but thats about what we're working with so far.

Teams that still could make it from the East but still have a shot are Atlanta, Toronto and New Jersey. From them you can take:

Forwards:
MacArthur
Armstrong (assuming he's not injured)
Kane
Ladd
Little
A. Stewart
Zajac

Defense:
Phaneuf
Schenn

So far we're a little weak on Defense, forwards look like they could be okay, but if Nash doesn't go we're out of a superstar. I also haven't really investigated if there are enough wingers and too many centers and what not, but whatever. I used 10 teams and there should be another 4 added to that mix.

Edit: Didn't even think about possible goalies, that could be a major issue for Canada.

Goalies:
Mason
Dubnyk
Brodeur
Giguere
Reimer

Thats a scary thought right now.

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Canada may look to Lalande, he played pretty well in the KHL and saw a lot of rubber on a poor team.

I would be pretty confident in estimating there are about 50 goalies ahead of Kevin Lalande on the depth chart.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I don't really know a whole lot about Lalande, but I would have no problem with taking a goalie who is hot/having a good year in a league like the KHL. The biggest problem with that is probably the lack of scouting being done in those leagues.

bjtkyo

Mar 2, 2011
Duchene, Kane, Tavares, and Stewart will be an absolute treat to watch.

Spezza and Nash are locks. Right now, Eberle, Moulson, Weiss, Ladd and O'Reilly should be there as well, along with a couple other players.. any 2 out of Horcoff, Brassard, Jones, Vermette, Galiardi, MacDonald.

But depending on which teams make the playoffs/get knocked out in the first round, this could change a lot... Remember that, as of now, guys like Iginla, Perry, Getzlaf, B.Richards, Morrow, Toews, Sharp, E.Staal, and Skinner are all potentially available. Although the vast majority, if not all, of these names will be in the playoffs.

Defense (Assuming Toronto doesn't make it, which might be premature) should stack up something like: Burns, Phaneuf, Schenn, Pietrangelo, Russel, and then someone like Philips or Foote for leadership. I wouldn't be surprised if Ellis is asked to participate, and used almost exclusively on the powerplay.

Again, this could be made much better depending on who makes the playoffs. Any of Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Giordano, Bouwmeester, Regher, Weber, Myers, and M.Staal could be available.

Goalies I could see: Brodeur, S.Mason, Reimer... maybe Ward.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Don't count the Leafs out just yet. Phaneuf and Reimer may not play at the Worlds.

The Leafs have almost no chance of making it. And even if we do, we dont have the depth and high end talent to get by Philly or Washington.

Phaneuf is playing real well right now, and if he wants to be in contention for a spot in Sochi a good WC on large ice is a must for him.

sushi45

Oct 19, 2010
Vancouver
www.topnotchclan.com
I think brodeur should play, hes only missing a WC gold to be part of the Triple Gold Club

and heres some possible head coaches

- Hitchcock (hasnt done any head coaching for awhile. But I can see him as an assistant)
- MacT (not very likely)
- Arniel
- Ramsay
- Payne (possible assistant)
- Lemaire (good option imo but dont think he'll do it, would rather go on vacation)
- DeBoer
- Messier

Last edited:

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Mathradio
While the leafs have a shot at making the play offs gettting past the 1st round is a very big long shot.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
there are definatly variables, which is why i just put together a preliminary short list

its kinda based on guys who have gone before and guys who would likely go on teams that are pretty much playing spoiler atm

burns (min), schultz (min), spezza (ott), weiss (fla), tavares (nyi), duchene (col), stewart (stl), mcdonald (stl), nash (cbj), mason (cbj), russell (cbj), eberle (edm)

bretzky29ca*

In terms of the head coaching discussion, I've heard a crazy rumour that may have some substance to it. Dave Nonis is already in talks with the Ottawa Senators about their soon to be vacant general managing position, and he will name Ray Bennett(currently the assistant coach of the Blues) the HC of this squad, with the idea of bringing him along for the ride in Ottawa next year.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
While Minny isn't mathematically eliminated yet I think you can start to imagine its gonna be difficult for them to make a push.

I think you could take Burns and Theodore from Minny and thats about it, and only Theodore if you're getting desperate.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Lets say the Blue Jackets and Ducks don't make it.

Potential line of:

R. Nash - R. Getzlaf - C. Perry

^^^^ EPIC.

The Blues are not making it. If the Canes also don't make it, you could start a potential second line of:

??? - E. Staal - C. Stewart

+ A. Pietrangelo (Blues)
+ C. Ward (Canes)

With the Isles + Avs + Oilers not making it, you could form another potential line of:

J. Tavares - M. Duchene - J. Eberle

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
I'd like to see kadri on the team but most likely won't be on the roster.

Eberle- Taveres-Kane
Nash-Staal-Skinner
Perry-Getzlav-C.Stewart
Kadri-Duchene-MacArthur

Phaneuf-Schenn
Pietrangelo-T.Myers
Hamonic-Wideman

Riemer
Mason

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com

Eberle- Taveres-Kane
Nash-Staal-Skinner
Perry-Getzlav-C.Stewart
Kadri-Duchene-MacArthur

Phaneuf-Schenn
Pietrangelo-T.Myers
Hamonic-Wideman

Riemer
Mason

That's a big question mark. If Buffalo doesn't make the playoffs, Myers is a lock to play (if willing to) but who would you want to replace Myers if Buffalo made it to the playoffs?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Eberle- Taveres-Kane
Nash-Staal-Skinner
Perry-Getzlav-C.Stewart
Kadri-Duchene-MacArthur

Phaneuf-Schenn
Pietrangelo-T.Myers
Hamonic-Wideman

Riemer
Mason

This team looks good, but highly unlikely, its not likely that you'll see all of Getz, Perry, Staal, etc. Not to mention why on earth would you like to see Kadri there? He's done nothing to warrant an invite, and if Kadri makes the team I'll be very worried about Canada even competing for a medal.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Kadri has dominated on playoff stages like wjc 2010, OHL playoffs 2010.

OHL playoffs 2010: 12 games (9G 18A 27P)
WJC: 6 games (3G 5A 8P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad