WC: Roster Talk '11 – Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
I think it came from a Schenn interview where he said he was excited to be joining MacArthur, Reimer, and Phaneuf

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I've only seen TheLeastOfTheBunch say "Apparently MacArthur is suiting up?" but no other source.
Not to mention, Grabovski+ another poster confirmed both Schenn and Phaneuf joining.

It's already hard enough to keep track of what's happening with all the players' decision. :laugh:

MacArthur is going.

BergerFAN590 Howard Berger
Schenn is happy to join teammates Reimer and MacArthur with Canada for World Hockey Championships this spring.

Phaneuf himself confirmed he is going.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I don't disagree that having a talented roster isn't better than having a non-talented one, but like you saw me say on the Team USA thread, talent alone doesn't win tournaments. Canada will have a great roster on paper, as they do every year. And that team will get there and get outplayed by the Euros who
simply care more. Like I said on the USA thread, the Europeans play this tournament like their life depends on it, while the North Americans play like they're only there for the beer, European women, and free vacation.

What's the point in having the tournament? You have it all figured it out. I suggest you email these players and Team Canada your predictions, it'll save them all the trip and the energy!

In the past decade, Canada has won gold 3 times and has medalled 6 times in the past 10 years. Prior to last year, they medalled two years in a row. Is your basis that our players don't care enough (or any player for that matter) based simply on whether they're wearing a medal and what colour it is? You're free to think that of the North American players but it doesn't make your opinion any less ignorant just because you're free to have it. Makes me think that you have absolutely no idea the type of character and personality it takes to make it as a professional athlete. Pride is a big thing. Most players don't play their sport and feel okay if they're humiliated or come up short. You play to win, end of story. Maybe your free vacation theory would make more sense if any of these guys were actually short on cash to afford their own plane ticket.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Probably because he didn't seem like a shoe in for an invite. Watching the Leafs media today, I don't think the media even asked Mac if he was invited. If they did, I must have missed it but I would think that if they did, his acceptance would have been confirmed a few hours ago.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
You can't call me clueless and then in the same breath say Canada cares about this tournament as much as Europe. I'll remember you said next time Canada loses and your countrymen play the old, "Nobody cares about that tournament here anyway" card you play everytime you lose any tournament other than the Olympics, the World Cup, or the juniors.

Most Canadians will be watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and most Canadians playing in the Worlds will be secretly wishing they were in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Same will happen here in the USA. That's the way it usually is and there's nothing wrong with that (or, apparently, until an American like me dares to question Canadian passion for this tournament).

Sorry I dared to question Canadian hockey superiority and/or didn't bend down and kiss your Canadian rear like you expect the non-Canadian hockey world to do. I'll go ahead and go back to the USA board now like you asked.

just because they would rather be in playoffs does NOT mean they arent passionate about playing for their country

me and all my buddies we watch both the world champs and playoffs, we just love hockey, not to mention mem cup, royal bank cup, and telus cup during these events

and darn rights you better be sorry

guess im not the only one to call you clueless

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
just because they would rather be in playoffs does NOT mean they arent passionate about playing for their country

me and all my buddies we watch both the world champs and playoffs, we just love hockey, not to mention mem cup, royal bank cup, and telus cup during these events

and darn rights you better be sorry

guess im not the only one to call you clueless

too add to this, a guy like rick nash plays twice as good in this tourney than he does for the blue jackets. there is no way you can say this guy doesn't care.

Its rick nash in a canada jersey that leads some people think he is a legit top teir player

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
too add to this, a guy like rick nash plays twice as good in this tourney than he does for the blue jackets. there is no way you can say this guy doesn't care.

Its rick nash in a canada jersey that leads some people think he is a legit top teir player

This is true but only in the World Championships. I really think Nash and Heatley are the best players for us in this tournament ever. I am looking forward to watching Nash again. I just hope his style will mesh with Spezza.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Thank god Bouwmeester isn't going.

Looking at that list there's a ton of young talent, maybe we'll have an interesting WC this time around.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
It would be really nice to get 1 or 2 first line skilled players from the first round exits from the playoffs, and probably a #1 defenseman.

Could be Toews, Marty. St. Louis and/or Stamkos, Letang, Brewer would be nice for a second pairing, Subban, Richards, Carter, Seabrook, Keith, Doughty, Myers, Weber, etc.

At best you'll only get one or two of those, but thats all we need to fill out the roster with skill. Definitely need some good role players, I'm hoping they still ask E. Kane, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
This is true but only in the World Championships. I really think Nash and Heatley are the best players for us in this tournament ever. I am looking forward to watching Nash again. I just hope his style will mesh with Spezza.

The line of Nash, Toews, and Richards was also a force at the Vancouver Olympics.

nahcmo

Mar 2, 2011
The Heatley-Nash-Getzlaf line was incredible a few years back. Total domination.
I think it's Nash's commitment to Team Canada that has made him one of my favourite players. It's a shame he hasn't really had playoff success though. :\

Anyways, this year's roster is shaping up to be a nice, young group. Looking forward to seeing a few of these players (i.e. Stewart), who I hear a lot about but don't see very often, play.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Not unless he plans to eliminate his team from the playoffs?

Fail.

But in actual fact I haven't even seen any evidence that he's been invited. Its strange how difficult it is to get this info on whose invited, you'd think TSN would be all over it. Even Hockey Canada's site has nothing.

LadyM

I ain't even mad
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the updates Xelstyle!

Team Canada 2011

Accepted Invite:

1. Rick Nash
2. Andrew Ladd
3. Jason Spezza
4. Matt Duchene
5. Brent Burns
6. Chris Stewart
7. Alex Pietrangelo
8. John Tavares
9. James Reimer (Goalie)
10. Dion Phaneuf
11. Luke Schenn
12. Clarke MacArthur (on Standby)

Declined Invite:

1. Alex Tanguay
2. Jarome Iginla
3. Curtis Glencross
4. Mark Giordano
5. Jay Bouwmeester

Invite sent, but no reply yet:

N/A

Side Notes:

** Head Coach: Ken Hitchcock

** Assistant Coachs: Scott Arniel & Peter DeBoer

** Clarke MacArthur
A fourth member of the team might also play for Canada, as forward Clarke MacArthur is on standby.

** Taylor Hall – was asked but Edmonton said no.
Tambellini did say Nonis had asked about the injured (sprained ankle) Taylor Hall but they gave Hockey Canada the two-thumbs down. “We want Taylor to do his rehab with us and get back skating here before he goes home (for the summer),” said Tambellini. Hall hasn’t played in a month, and needs another four weeks of treatment.

-----------------------------------

If I've made any mistakes or missed anyone, just let me know. We'll just keep updating this list as new players are added or requests are sent...thought this would help us keep track of everything going on.

Last edited:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Thank for the updates Xelstyle!

Team Canada 2011

Accepted Invite:

1. Rick Nash
2. Andrew Ladd
3. Jason Spezza
4. Matt Duchene
5. Brent Burns
6. Chris Stewart
7. Alex Pietrangelo
8. John Tavares
9. James Reimer (Goalie)
10. Dion Phaneuf
11. Luke Schenn
12. Clarke MacArthur (on Standby)

Team Canada has some very good potential so far with those players. Hopefully they can add some more top talent before the start of the tournament...

LadyM

I ain't even mad
Mar 4, 2011
Is there any news about Staal & Ward actually being invited? Or is it just speculation that they wont go if they happen to be invited?

You can't call me clueless and then in the same breath say Canada cares about this tournament as much as Europe. I'll remember you said next time Canada loses and your countrymen play the old, "Nobody cares about that tournament here anyway" card you play everytime you lose any tournament other than the Olympics, the World Cup, or the juniors.

Most Canadians will be watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and most Canadians playing in the Worlds will be secretly wishing they were in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Same will happen here in the USA. That's the way it usually is and there's nothing wrong with that (or, apparently, until an American like me dares to question Canadian passion for this tournament).

Sorry I dared to question Canadian hockey superiority and/or didn't bend down and kiss your Canadian rear like you expect the non-Canadian hockey world to do. I'll go ahead and go back to the USA board now like you asked.

Canada cares about Hockey.

I'm Canadian and will be watching both the SCP(well depending on the team) & the WC - I'm pretty sure it wont be too difficult to keep up with both. And I think the players who didn't make the playoffs are wishing to win the gold medal. But seriously, I don't understand what you're trying to get at? :help:

Woah.. who pissed you off??

The players care and most fans do not. What is so complicated about that? Any player who goes over there for Canada is going to try their best to win.

Seriously go away.

Thank you!

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Anyone remember the epic line of Nash-Thornton-Gagne a few years back? Gagne hasn't had a good year but if SJ went early, i'd love to see Nash-Thornton pair up again.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
At best you'll only get one or two of those, but thats all we need to fill out the roster with skill. Definitely need some good role players, I'm hoping they still ask E. Kane, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet.

I'm surprised about Kane too. I'm assuming they haven't asked him yet. He's a guy with potential to be a major player for Canada at the international level in years to come, and now he would be a great fit for the bottom two lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad