WC: Roster Talk '11 – USA

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
man I am excited to see Bobby Butler on this team...that kid has talent and some of his moves are electric already. I hope USA has asked him to play already and I pray we get some young talent like him on this squad. It would be a great experience for him, lets just hope he gets some talent to play alongside.... come on Matt Cullen, David Booth, Kyle Okposo, dare I say Brandon Dubinsky maybe!!

And come on Kessel, you got nothing to do this summer, step up and be the top guy on this team and show that you do have heart and passion to play the game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
man I am excited to see Bobby Butler on this team...that kid has talent and some of his moves are electric already. I hope USA has asked him to play already and I pray we get some young talent like him on this squad. It would be a great experience for him, lets just hope he gets some talent to play alongside.... come on Matt Cullen, David Booth, Kyle Okposo, dare I say Brandon Dubinsky maybe!!

And come on Kessel, you got nothing to do this summer, step up and be the top guy on this team and show that you do have heart and passion to play the game.

I hope Butler makes it as well. He's got a nice skill game that we could use. Shoot, go all out offense and make it entertaining at least. That's right-ROBBIE SCHREMP!

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I think all of us agree that Umberger is the most frustrating because of his talent and his constant availability for this tourney. I would absolutely love to see him wear the red, white, and blue, but like others have said, I am not sure he wants to do that unless it serves his purpose.

Getting his degree is a great thing, not gonna talk crap about that, but the way he is doing it is the problem. I am sure he could go play in this tournament for two weeks and make up whatever lost ground he has for that course, or do online work which a lot of schools and teachers would allow.

Bottom line is that Umberger seems to be the epitomy of American hockey players towards this tournament. I will play when it fits and suits my needs only. That is a very sad thing and I thought much more highly of many of these guys as Americans and players.

As a Jackets' fan (yes we do exist ;) ) I feel like I need to say a few things here. I don't think most of you have the full Umberger "picture".

1. Yes, he is planning on completing his degree. I'm not sure how many senior year level courses (particularly in Marketing where there are probably a lot of group projects involved) would be do-able online. This isn't a freshman level psych class here.

2. He now has 2 little girls at home. One in the 2-4 month old range and the other about 2 years old. Pretty sure that they are playing a role in this as well.

3. He currently holds the "Iron Man" streak for the Jackets, he hasn't missed a game since joining the team. As far as you guys are concerned, that may be a plus or a minus - why for his NHL team, but not for the US?

4. He has played through injury during the year (I know, they all do). How many got multiple tendons sliced on the top of their feet, got stitched up, and came back to the game?
Yesterday, Rick Umberger shed light on one of the season's most mysterious injuries. On Feb. 16, his son left a game against Los Angeles following a first-period collision with Jarret Stoll.

The two players had appeared to knock knees. In fact, Stoll's skate blade sliced several small tendons in Umberger's right foot. It was initially feared a major tendon had been severed and surgery would be required. But after receiving 15 to 20 stitches, Umberger was told he had gotten lucky.

Arniel and general manager Scott Howson were informed Umberger was finished for the night. Instead, he grabbed a new skate and returned late in the second period.

"Nothing R.J. does should surprise us," Howson said.

Read the rest of the article, maybe it will shed a different light on things...

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live...an-owes-his-work-ethic-to-family.html?sid=101

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
those are all great things to read about for any player. I dont think there is a single person that doubts his toughness, loyalty, or passion for his NHL team, but all of these things further show proof that he doesnt have that same "at all cost" mentality to play for his country.

I have been one of Umberger's biggest backers, but I am sorry, but the excuse that he gave to not play in this tournament was to finish some classes and nothing you posted above. Not saying he hasnt played injured, hell most everyone does at this time of the year, but R.J has had 2 years in a row with this opportunity to not answer the call, and that is the issue.

Umberger has been quoted numerous times that he wants to play for his country and what an honor it is, but he has turned down the call these past few seasons and I simply see someone that wants to answer the call on his terms (Olympics) only. And that is just not acceptable in my eyes anymore.

And this isnt just about Umberger, he might be the poster boy for the attitude many Americans and Canadians have for this tournament, but he certainly is not alone. Dont say what an honor it is to play for your country then turn them down when they ask you to play for them....its pretty simple to me.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Oh man....spec on the Leafs board that Mike Brown is being considered for the team! :laugh::help::cry:

Update: Looks like the possibility was mentioned by Jonas Siegel, a Leafs radio reporter. He said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Mike Brown got the call for Team USA at upcoming World Championships.

Sounds like just speculation at this point. He's had the scoop on the other Leafs (like Komisarek) getting offers so I'd think if Brown had been offered he would have known and said so. Not that I wouldn't be surprised in the end and given some of the guys that were offered last year.

If true, it would confirm that A) we're already foaming for table scraps due to declined invites; and B) I'm scared to see the next Maple Leaf that Burke will try and force his way onto this team: Christian Hanson again? Brett Lebda? Matt Lashoff? Joey Crabb?

ok3lf7.gif

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I hope Butler makes it as well. He's got a nice skill game that we could use. Shoot, go all out offense and make it entertaining at least. That's right-ROBBIE SCHREMP!

I'd love to see Butler there as well. He's the kind of player (very talented, unproven, and eager to continue to play and state their case to the hockey world) we need to target in these "down" years when we can't seem to get anyone that wants to play.

With that, I hate to throw this wrench into that though and it's that Bobby Butler would only be available if Ottawa wants him to play in this tournament over playing for Binghamton in the AHL Playoffs....so it's not happening. He's on Binghamton's clear day roster and it's their first time in the playoffs since the 04-05 season. There is, of course, the chance he would be available if Binghamton is bounced in the first round, around the same time of the NHL First Round departures.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I have a bad feeling about this damn team again.

Canada's roster is pretty good!

Lets Go Canes! Need those NYR players

NHL Fanatik*

Gotta keep your hopes up kid.. Lets just hope we can do better than last year.. I Just want a hardworking team that can pull out a few wins unlike last years debacle of a team. I'd rather us go down fighting to Canada than lose to the Germans.:facepalm:

Regardless, Lets go Rangers! You can have our players after a likely first round exit :p

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada

Having a good roster has done little for Canada in recent tournaments and I expect this tournament to be the same. Nothing will change the fact that the Euros play this tournament with passion and the North Americans play like they're there for the free vacation, European lager, and European women.

That said, I'd still like to go with a good roster and I share everyone's pessimism about the USA having one.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Having a good roster has done little for Canada in recent tournaments and I expect this tournament to be the same. Nothing will change the fact that the Euros play this tournament with passion and the North Americans play like they're there for the free vacation, European lager, and European women.

That said, I'd still like to go with a good roster and I share everyone's pessimism about the USA having one.

Edit: I will save this argument for the other thread, carry on roster discussion.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Let's reunite the 2004 WJC team! Not the names I was hoping to see, but not a terrible start. The defense could up being solid. Need a skill infusion up front though.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Some news from Kevin Allen:

Mark Stuart, Blake Wheeler, Jack Skille, and Yan Stastny are all in.

He mentions the possible targets of Goligoski, Dubinsky, and Al Montoya.

He also says that Erik Johnson and Matt Hunwick are still deciding on their offers depending upon their health.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/2011-04-09-mucking-world-championships_N.htm

Stuart is a solid, if unspectacular addition. Like it, especially if the marquee names aren't gonna play.

Wheeler at least gives us a legit top-6 forward on the team as well.

Skille...not terribly pleased with that.

Stastny...didn't realize he was still playing :laugh:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Wheeler is a very good addition.

Stuart is ok but now we don't need anymore shutdown guys. That role is in his and Komi's hands.

Skille is fine if he's just targeted for a 4th line role as his skating would be a nice addition there. The problem is if guys like Kessel, Booth, Okposo, etc. decline and Skille is expected to chip in offensively. If that happens, and lets be honest it probably will, then I don't like it at all.

Y. Stastny isn't what I meant when I said they should add an offensively talented, overseas-based player. Unfortunately, I think this was an attempt to lure his brother Paul in by throwing Yan a bone. Looks like they should have planned it out a little better and waited till the end of the season and gotten Paul's status and acceptance before offering Yan.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Unless Carolina can overcome the 3 goal hole they put themselves in after 1, it'll be their players available and not the Rangers, which isn't what we'd want from a Team USA perspective.

We need some forwards (from what we know) and the only two on Carolina that we should target (Cole and LaRose) are both UFAs so they'd be unlikely to play. They do have 3 d targets though in Gleason, McBain, and Corvo.

If Carolina can somehow come back and eliminate the Rangers we'd have a chance at: Brandon Dubinsky (RFA), Chris Drury, Derek Stepan, Brian Boyle (RFA), Mike Sauer (RFA), and Ryan McDonagh.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
i think drury is a mirrage based on the fact he came back early from injury

Oh no doubt. I don't think he'd play but he'd be a nice target for his defensive/face-off/leadership ability. Just noting that the Rangers have more targets.

It doesn't really matter anyway unless Carolina erases a 3 goal deficit in the 3rd period.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
Oh no doubt. I don't think he'd play but he'd be a nice target for his defensive/face-off/leadership ability. Just noting that the Rangers have more targets.

It doesn't really matter anyway unless Carolina erases a 3 goal deficit in the 3rd period.

true but i think your blueline could get better with the addition of a mcbain, gleason, then eric cole up front who doesnt mind going abroad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad