WC: Roster Talk '11 – USA

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Backes will not play according to Strickland's latest.

I'll add him to the declined. Backes would have been a great leadership piece for the team. Dang.

Strickland says it makes sense for Oshie not to play but I'll stick with the previous link that says Oshie is going until I see something more concrete other than Strickland speculation.

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
What about Andy Miele ? I dont think that he is eligble to play for Pheonix in the playoffs and a guy with his footspeed and vision could really exell in a tournament like this with the big rink and more time. I also think that Gerbe could be great for the US if Buffallo doesn`t make it.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Ryan Callahan broken ankle. out indefinitely.

Rangers might miss playoffs, but i dont think hes an option anymore.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=6296371

That's a shame about Callahan, regardless of whether he would have accepted an invite.

Rangers missing the playoffs would open the door for Dubinsky, Stepan, and a few boarderline D-men like Gilroy and McDonagh if we want them.

Read an article about David Booth promising to work hard on his game this summer, but no indication whether or not that included playing in the Worlds. He'd be a good fit, hope he plays.

Assuming Montoya says yes, it's starting to look like we can build a pretty solid team just out of guys who will miss the playoffs. Maybe we won't do too badly this time around.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
That's a shame about Callahan, regardless of whether he would have accepted an invite.

Rangers missing the playoffs would open the door for Dubinsky, Stepan, and a few boarderline D-men like Gilroy and McDonagh if we want them.

Read an article about David Booth promising to work hard on his game this summer, but no indication whether or not that included playing in the Worlds. He'd be a good fit, hope he plays.

Assuming Montoya says yes, it's starting to look like we can build a pretty solid team just out of guys who will miss the playoffs. Maybe we won't do too badly this time around.

If Booth/Kessel plays, NYR/LAK lose quick 4-5 game series, I honestly like our chances to compete for a medal. No joke.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

He's never been a factor in this tournament anyway. I would have liked him there for depth purposes but if we're counting on Foligno in a go-to role we're in trouble anyway. I'd much prefer someone with more offensive talent, like a Bobby Butler, given that potential role if it comes to that with the declined invites.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
He's never been a factor in this tournament anyway. I would have liked him there for depth purposes but if we're counting on Foligno in a go-to role we're in trouble anyway. I'd much prefer someone with more offensive talent, like a Bobby Butler, given that potential role if it comes to that with the declined invites.

Thats true. I was hoping he would have just signed on to play a 3rd/4th line grinder blue collar hockey role, kind of what he did for Ottawa last year.

But if he was going to be in a go-to role....This team = :facepalm:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Not surprised about Oshie-especially with the ankle. I actually would have liked to see Foligno. He's played much better in the second half and can slide into any role.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
According to Andy Strickland Erik Johnson is unlikely to accept his invite.

Yep, feels just like most years..

Yeah, here's the quote: "Six players off the Colorado roster have been invited to play for USA in the upcoming World Championship. This includes injured players John-Michael Liles and Paul Stastny who will not attend. I’m told Erik Johnson is leaning towards not playing."

Stastny is out for the year and Liles is concussed, so not surprised they won't play. EJ has been through the ringer this year, so he probably needs a mental break. Can't really blame him for declining. I guess Kevin Porter and Matt Hunwick have been asked? Who is the sixth? It can't be Ryan Stoa can it? Galiardi is out for the year right?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Yeah, here's the quote: "Six players off the Colorado roster have been invited to play for USA in the upcoming World Championship. This includes injured players John-Michael Liles and Paul Stastny who will not attend. I’m told Erik Johnson is leaning towards not playing."

Stastny is out for the year and Liles is concussed, so not surprised they won't play. EJ has been through the ringer this year, so he probably needs a mental break. Can't really blame him for declining. I guess Kevin Porter and Matt Hunwick have been asked? Who is the sixth? It can't be Ryan Stoa can it? Galiardi is out for the year right?

Yeah, Galiardi is done. They'd have to be Porter, Hunwick, and Stoa.

So far, not very good.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Yeah, not sure what to think. I haven't seen much news on players as of yet.

Yeah, it's been strangely quiet for the most part so far. Probably get a flood of news by the weekend though.

If Booth, Cullen, Kessel, Okposo, Umberger, and Byfuglien all accept we can still put together a pretty good roster capable of fighting for a medal. And of those 6, only Okposo has any hurdles that I know of (he'll be an RFA) but he's also the easiest to replace of those 6 as well.

The fight for the final spot in the Western Conference should be interesting though. If Anaheim falters, it opens up Bobby Ryan, Cam Fowler, and Jason Blake. If Chicago falters, it opens up Patrick Kane and Nick Leddy. And if the odd team out is Dallas, as is likely, then we have Alex Goligoski and Jamie Langenbrunner (UFA). If we could add Goligoski to the 6 guys above I'd be pretty happy at this stage. I'm still an optimist at this point even though I know it's a pipe dream. :laugh:

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Don't be surprised if the Ducks get bounced out of the playoffs, last three games include a game vs the Sharks and a home and home against a desperate Kings team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Don't be surprised if the Ducks get bounced out of the playoffs, last three games include a game vs the Sharks and a home and home against a desperate Kings team.

Dallas definitely has the easiest road left with 2 against Colorado and 1 against Minnesota. If they want to be a playoff team there's no reason for them to lose any of those games.

Chicago has a tough road too with 2 against Detroit and 1 against St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->