WC: Roster Talk '11 – USA

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Some news from Kevin Allen:

Mark Stuart, Blake Wheeler, Jack Skille, and Yan Stastny are all in.

He mentions the possible targets of Goligoski, Dubinsky, and Al Montoya.

He also says that Erik Johnson and Matt Hunwick are still deciding on their offers depending upon their health.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/2011-04-09-mucking-world-championships_N.htm

people are down on Skille on here, and there really is no reason to be. The kid is solid, will play an energy 3rd-4th line role, and getting him on this team is 1000 times better then Mike Brown or Ryan Carter.

also, maybe bringing Skille along will help bring Booth on board as well....I heard they get along real well, so that could be a thought....

Skille is a fine addition in the right role, nothing to hate there guys, kid is solid.

Stastny on the other hand is borderline insane and makes absolutely zero sense. Even if it would land us Paul Stastny I dont think I would want this guy on this team!! .....well who am I kidding, I would take Anton at 55 years old if it meant Paul could play for us this year.

The funny thing with Hunwick is even if he has a leg amputated I would imagine him still playing as it seems he is on his last life in the NHL. Seems to be viewed as one of the worst defenders in the league, this guy shouldnt mull anything if he wants a job next year. Maybe a solid WC showing might keep his butt in the NHL another year. I really dont want Hunwick and thats a shame as he was one of my favs at Michigan, just too many guys out there still available that I would want over him: Goligoski, Byfuglien, McBain, Gilbert, etc...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
true but i think your blueline could get better with the addition of a mcbain, gleason, then eric cole up front who doesnt mind going abroad

Oh I agree. I'm not a Corvo fan at all but I'd be really happy if McBain and Gleason signed on.

I don't think Cole would go. He'll be an UFA and I think he'd be crazy to leave Carolina given how miserable he was the only time he left. I don't know if he'd be willing to risk an injury with what could potentially be his last opportunity at a decent contract. He's had a revival year and is looking like the Cole from 4-5 years ago. I'd love to be wrong though. He's a perfect fit for the international ice.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I really hope McBain and Cole decide to go. Cole had a great bounceback season, probably the best of his career. I've never seen him skate so fast.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
any blurbs on if Matt Cullen got an invite for this tourney?

at this point he would be our #1 center for the love of God..

I really love Cullen and his versatility, doesnt get looked at too much for Olympic squads, but would love his veteran presence on this team. I see that Canada is landing some top players which makes our process the more embarassing at this point....Just looking for a Matt Cullen and David Booth to come on board and start landing us some solid players...

I know Cullen has a lot of respect and could help sway a few guys on the fence to play for this team.... I also would love for Erik Cole to play, though I know his contract status will prevent it, his leadership and skill would be so gladly needed.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Are you sure he declined? I heard him say in an interview he would be happy to go

From the same reporter that told us Montoya was in:
@KatieStrangNYI
Nielsen will not play for Denmark in World Champs, Grabner also unlikely for Austria. Okposo will not be playing for US team either

When was the interview? Maybe he doesn't like Gordon. Or the Islanders could have asked him not to play and focus on improving over the off-season.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
When was the interview? Maybe he doesn't like Gordon. Or the Islanders could have asked him not to play and focus on improving over the off-season.

They asked him during intermission a couple of games ago about the World Championships, he said that he would be happy to go.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
But seriously, who honestly thinks Patty Kane would have played this year? I think he would have said no, but whatever.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
USA Hockey does not have to rush anything at the moment.

I think they are being as smart as possible and not naming players just for the sake of it. A lot of teams had long fought second halfs, and some might need that extra week or two in rest to decide whether or not they can go.

I also see a lot of young talent that will be looking to get into the good graces of USA Hockey for the 2014 Olympics that will be in the playoffs. Players like JVR, Colin Wilson, John Carlson, Cam Fowler, Derek Stepan, Brian Boyle, Ryan McDonagh, Nate Gerbe, Drew Stafford, Keith Yandle, Max Pacioretty (might play again this season), etc are all young guys who will fighting for a spot by 2014. Many of these young guys arent married, dont have kids, and are eager to represent their countries because many have done so at previous WJCs. I would wait as patient as possible to land some of these kids after the first round eliminations happen.

I know that is very tough to do and you need to have a team ready, but I would contact these young men and ask them if they get bounced will you play for us, and depending on how many FIRM yes replies you get, leave a few spots open because you know you will land some of them. And these are the kids I want to see on this team since we practically never get any veterans for this team.

Do not fill up the team with the Mike Browns and Eric Nystroms of the world, be patient and wait to land some of these young guns above.

Patrick Kane would not come so those thinking this dont bother. I love him to death, but you can tell that if it isnt a bigtime event, he probably wont play for the US.

I am still keeping out much hope for Phil Kessel as Brian Burke can really influence him bigtime. Kessel isnt a lock for 2014, but if the kid answers the call, steps up and plays like he can, then he will placed ahead of a lot of players imo.....same goes for Booth as well. If we can land both David Booth and Phil Kessel, I will have hope for a medal.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
In other, expected news: Bobby Butler was assigned to Binghamton today so that idea is out.

I wouldnt rule out Butler, who is to say he wont get released to play for the US either after round 1, or when they get eliminated. I have to imagine Ottawa views him as a NHLer who should be playing against NHL competition, so he can technically be released to play....stranger things can happen I guess.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
any chance kreider gets an invite again this year? rangers will try to sign him this summer and he did play last year.

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
ATL has a slew of american d-men but Kevin Allen only mentioned Stuart, I guess that means Buff, Hainsey and Bogosian are all out?

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
was kinda hoping more players would accept the invite for USA, kinda like russia when they had a poor showing at the olympics last year.

USA was almost relegated last year weren't they? wheres the player pride for redemption?

I guess it's still early though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad