D - Ryan McDonagh (NYR)
D - Kevin Shattenkirk (STL)
D - Mark Stuart 'C' (ATL)
D - Clay Wilson (FLA)

G - Ty Conklin (STL)
G - Al Montoya (NYI)
G - Jack Campbell (OHL/Dallas)

Declined Invitations:
F - David Backes (STL): General wear and tear.
F - David Booth (FLA): Nagging injuries and wants a break.
F - Dustin Brown (LAK): Newborn child
F - Erik Cole (CAR)
F - Matt Cullen (MIN)
F - Brandon Dubinsky (NYR): Injury and Free agent.
F - Patrick Dwyer (CAR)
F - Nick Foligno (OTT): Wants to focus on off-season training for next season.
F - Nathan Gerbe (BUF)
F - Brian Gionta (MTL)
F - Tim Jackman (CGY)
F - Patrick Kane (CHI)
F - Phil Kessel (TOR): "Fatigue".
F - Jamie Langenbrunner (DAL)
F - Chad LaRose (CAR)
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI): Resting his shoulder.
F - T.J. Oshie (STL): Lingering ankle injury.
F - Zach Parise (NJD): Knee injury recovery and pending free agency.
F - Kevin Porter (COL)
F - Marty Reasoner (FLA): Recent childbirth
F - Brian Rolston (NJD)
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA)
F - Dave Steckel (NJD)
F - Lee Stempniak (PHX)
F - R.J. Umberger (CBJ): Returning to Ohio St. to finish degree.

D - Zach Bogosian (ATL): Focus on off-season.
D - Dustin Byfuglien (ATL)
D - Joe Corvo (CAR)
D - Tom Gilbert (EDM)
D - Tim Gleason (CAR)
D - Alex Goligoski (DAL)
D - Andy Greene (NJD): Free agent.
D - Ron Hainsey (ATL)
D - Jack Hillen (NYI)
D - Matt Hunwick (COL)
D - Erik Johnson (COL): Various injuries.
D - Jamie McBain (CAR)
D - John-Michael Liles (COL): Concussion.
D - Keith Yandle (PHX): Free agent.

G - Craig Anderson (OTT): Impending childbirth.
G - Scott Clemmensen (FLA): Impending childbirth.
G - Rick DiPietro (NYI)
G - Robert Esche (KHL)
G - Ryan Miller (BUF): Wear and Tear & Concussion
G - Jon Quick (LAK)

Mulling Invitations:

Unavailable Players:
D - Mark Eaton (NYI): Hip Surgery
D - Mike Mottau (NYI): Hip Surgery
D - Ryan Whitney (EDM): Ankle Surgery

F - Adam Burish (DAL): Broken Fibula
F - Bobby Butler (OTT): Assigned to AHL for playoffs.
F - Ryan Callahan (NYR): Broken Ankle
F - T.J. Galiardi (COL): Forearm Surgery
F - David Moss (CGY): Ankle Injury
F - Eric Nystrom (MIN): Cheekbone Surgery
F - Max Pacioretty (MTL): Concussion and Broken neck.
F - Rob Schremp (ATL): Concussion
F - Paul Stastny (COL): Leg Stress Fracture
F - Ryan Stoa (COL): Assigned to AHL for playoffs.
F - Dough Weight (NYI): Back Spasms

Staff:
Head Coach: Scott Gordon
Assistant Coach: Phil Housley
Assistant Coach: Greg Conin
Assistant Coach: Barry Smith
Associate GM: Paul Fenton (Nashville)
Advisory Committee: Brian Burke, Paul Holmgren, Dean Lombardi, David Poile, Ray Shero, Don Waddell, and Dale Tallon.

Last edited by a moderator:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here's my team based on who'd be available based on today's standings:

Forwards (x13):

David Booth - Paul Stastny - Phil Kessel
R.J. Umberger - David Backes - Bobby Ryan
T.J. Oshie - Matt Cullen - Drew Stafford
Blake Wheeler - Marty Reasoner - Kyle Okposo
Colin Wilson

Defense (x7):

Ryan Suter - Dustin Byfuglien
Cam Fowler - Erik Johnson
John Michael Liles - Zach Bogosian
Jordan Leopold

Goalies (x3):

Scott Clemmensen
Al Montoya
Ty Conklin

- This is a "best case" scenario projection sans two splayer...Ryan Miller and Craig Anderson. I just don't think Miller would play and I don't think Anderson would either since he'll be an UFA.

- I don't expect all these guys to accept, let alone be available. For example, I expect Buffalo, Anaheim, and Nashville to all end up in the playoffs.

- This would be a great team sans the goalies but there would at least be some veteran presence there.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It's so hard to guess what will happen with a US world championship roster. There are a few things I'd like to see though...

We've seen a lot of very young, talented teams in the recent past that lacked experience. I'd like to see more mid to late 20 year olds involved who've been around the pro game for a long time. I think this may help in the games against the top European teams who always seem to come out ahead of us in this tournament. These guys should still be viable options for best on best tournaments when they come around so we're not necessarily throwing any guys who are over the hill in. As a side note to this, I don't want to throw any 18 to 20 year olds on the roster if they're barely going to play.

Also, I hope we avoid last years formula of taking any NHL fourth liner who's willing to play simply because they play in the NHL. We need players who can create in the offensive zone and if we can't find that amongst NHL'ers I'd hope they could at least consider some guys from the minors or Europe. The European teams consistently win using a good number of non-NHL'ers and I think we could as well if we are smart about it. All that said, I realize last year was an Olympic year and it had a serious impact on players who were willing to participate but should the worst case scenario happen, let's try to get creative and think outside the box. The relegation round is unacceptable to me.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
The available player pool for the Worlds should be clearer shortly. Here's who I would like see represent the U.S. (as realistic as possible):

Goaltender (x3):

Scott Clemmensen
Alex Stalock
Al Montoya

Defensemen (x7):

Zach Bogosian-Mark Stuart
Cam Fowler-Erik Johnson
Kevin Shattenkirk-Tom Gilbert
Andy Greene

Forwards

David Booth-Paul Stastny-RJ Umberger
Colin Wilson-David Backes-Kyle Okposo
Nick Foligno-Matt Cullen-TJ Oshie
Eric Nystrom-David Legwand-Blake Wheeler
Bobby Butler

stalock is done for the year so hes out, but its so hard to count out the atl boys and even greene cause the devils are just white hot right now, its unreal to watch. even nashville, they are still thick in the race

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
as much as I would like to see Fowler play, I'm not sure its in his best interests. He hit the rookie wall very hard this past month, and looks gasses as it is, im not sure more hockey is what he needs.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I wonder if the USA Hockey scouts have stooped to begging and/or bribery yet? I anticipate another young and inexperienced squad.

We should know soon. We didn't start hearing about players accepting/denying their spots last year until around April 10th but that was due to the late start of the tournament (May 7th versus end of April). I'm thinking we'll hear about the management staff by sometime next week at the latest. Player news should start leaking around the start of April I'd suspect.

I wish I had enough money to bribe USA Hockey officials to stop treating these spots as "throwaway" opportunities to any warm body. I'll echo Cagney's sentiment in that there's zero reason guys like Peter Harrold, Ryan Carter, Christian Hanson, Colin Stuart, etc. should be getting spots in this tournament unless literally every, and I mean every other available player has said "no thanks". And I know that's not the case. Hell, what was it, two years ago when Zach Parise was eliminated from the playoffs and wanted to join Team USA and couldn't because we filled up the team already? There's no reason Team USA should be naming college players/fringe NHLers from the get go. I'd rather originally only have 3 full lines with the possibility for adding some impact players once the tournament starts rather than have those spots already occupied by guys like the aforementioned. Give those fringe guys conditional offers. Tell them they're under consideration but there won't be any firm offers until the first round of the NHL playoffs are wrapping up. If they don't want to wait, so be it. There's plenty of players that still would play that are just as adequate as guys like Carter, Hanson, Stuart, etc.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Rabid Ranger's original team as was in the original post:

Rabid Ranger said:
The available player pool for the Worlds should be clearer shortly. Here's who I would like see represent the U.S. (as realistic as possible):

Goaltender (x3):

Scott Clemmensen
Alex Stalock
Al Montoya

Defensemen (x7):

Zach Bogosian-Mark Stuart
Cam Fowler-Erik Johnson
Kevin Shattenkirk-Tom Gilbert
Andy Greene

Forwards

David Booth-Paul Stastny-RJ Umberger
Colin Wilson-David Backes-Kyle Okposo
Nick Foligno-Matt Cullen-TJ Oshie
Eric Nystrom-David Legwand-Blake Wheeler
Bobby Butler

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Before we start hearing about players we'll see a head coach named. With so many teams potentially in the playoff race down to the wire, the options could be slim or they could have to wait a bit longer than they'd normally like if they're not satisfied with the options.

American Head Coaches:

Joe Sacco (Colorado Avalanche)
Todd Richards (Minnesota Wild)
Jack Capuano (New York Islanders)
John Tortorella (New York Rangers)
Peter Laviolette (Philadelphia Flyers)
Dan Bylsma (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Ron Wilson (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Scott Gordon (Ex-Islanders, now Advisor)

So who do you want to see get the position?

Right now, only Sacco, Capuano, and Gordon (obviously) are pretty much sure bets to be available. That said, it's not unheard of for USA Hockey to go outside the NHL head coaching ranks. In 2007, Mike Sullivan - ex-head coach but at the time an assistant with Tampa Bay - was head coach. In 2006, Mike Eaves from the University of Wisconsin was head coach. From 2000 to 2003, Lou Vairo manned the bench.

With my top 2 choices definitely unavailable (Bylsma and Laviolette) and the availability of a guy like Tortorella coming down to end of the season most likely, the only obvious choice would be Ron Wilson. I think we'll see Joe Sacco get the gig but I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It seems that Sacco is the most likely given his history with USA Hockey. I wouldn't mind that as long as they can put a solid group of players together.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Before we start hearing about players we'll see a head coach named. With so many teams potentially in the playoff race down to the wire, the options could be slim or they could have to wait a bit longer than they'd normally like if they're not satisfied with the options.

American Head Coaches:

Joe Sacco (Colorado Avalanche)
Todd Richards (Minnesota Wild)
Jack Capuano (New York Islanders)
John Tortorella (New York Rangers)
Peter Laviolette (Philadelphia Flyers)
Dan Bylsma (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Ron Wilson (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Scott Gordon (Ex-Islanders, now Advisor)

So who do you want to see get the position?

Right now, only Sacco, Capuano, and Gordon (obviously) are pretty much sure bets to be available. That said, it's not unheard of for USA Hockey to go outside the NHL head coaching ranks. In 2007, Mike Sullivan - ex-head coach but at the time an assistant with Tampa Bay - was head coach. In 2006, Mike Eaves from the University of Wisconsin was head coach. From 2000 to 2003, Lou Vairo manned the bench.

With my top 2 choices definitely unavailable (Bylsma and Laviolette) and the availability of a guy like Tortorella coming down to end of the season most likely, the only obvious choice would be Ron Wilson. I think we'll see Joe Sacco get the gig but I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.

I think Gordon will get the nod. He can devote his full attention to the task and has been apprenticing for this role for quite sometime. Sacco will likely be part of the coaching staff as well.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think Gordon will get the nod. He can devote his full attention to the task and has been apprenticing for this role for quite sometime. Sacco will likely be part of the coaching staff as well.

I just don't know if Gordon will get the nod after guiding the team last year, especially with how underwhelming they were.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just don't know if Gordon will get the nod after guiding the team last year, especially with how underwhelming they were.

I guess. Kind of a thankless task with how weak the roster was across the board though. Todd Richards might be a good choice with a limited roster.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I guess. Kind of a thankless task with how weak the roster was across the board though. Todd Richards might be a good choice with a limited roster.

While true, the roster doesn't excuse losing to Germany or Denmark and having to beat Italy in a shootout. Our expectations should be higher than that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
While true, the roster doesn't excuse losing to Germany or Denmark and having to beat Italy in a shootout. Our expectations should be higher than that.

I don't disagree there. Even a team full of third liners should have been able to beat most of those teams. We should have never been in the relegation round.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Team USA is expected to announce its management team next week for the men's world championship, and a source told ESPN.com USA Hockey will use the men's national team advisory group to select and run the team.

The group consists of Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke; Atlanta Thrashers GM Don Waddell; Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi; Nashville Predators GM David Poile; Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon; Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren; and Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olyhockey/news/story?id=6227969&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->