WC: Roster Talk '11 – Sweden

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
Why did Pääjärvi get to go to the WC's but not Omark? Shouldn't you be sending him to the AHL play-offs too, what with the salary payments and all that.

Pääjärvi is not eligible to play in the AHL for the playoffs. Teams submitted a list of players awhile back of who can play and Omark was on there but not MPS.

I still think it's more likely then not that Omark will join Sweden. The Barons are playing the top team in the league in the first round. Omark will be in game shape when he gets there.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Pääjärvi is not eligible to play in the AHL for the playoffs. Teams submitted a list of players awhile back of who can play and Omark was on there but not MPS.

I still think it's more likely then not that Omark will join Sweden. The Barons are playing the top team in the league in the first round. Omark will be in game shape when he gets there.

Cheers for the info.

..And I have doubts he gets the call now.

I think that would be disappointing since he's proven himself with Tre Kronor before and frankly he's probably the most entertaining 'available' player we've got. But he's no superstar so I guess there's a possibility that MÃ¥rts might not even ask him to join later. Players like Bergfors and Josefson weren't wanted so..

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He does that most of the time on the ice anyways. Except for maybe 2 shifts a game.

Ah, despite finishing top in the league those back to back losses still sting a bit, don't they?

I dare you to find anyone, who has actually watched him play, call Omark a lazy player. You can question the sanity of his decision making when he's out on the ice, but he's a high risk player. However his hustle and willingness to work shouldn't be.

Next to Reddox, Hall, and Jones; I'd say Omark was the most energetic and high tempo player for the Oilers had last season. Plus keep in mind he could have gone to OKC last fall and completely moped around after he didn't make the team, but he continued to work, getting named to the league's all star game, and eventually played his way into a call up.

His Beardliness*

:facepalm:

Winning streak coming to an end. Man, Slovakias roster looked pretty good. Stumpel, Satan, little bro Hossa.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Meh, I wouldn´t make much of this loss...... This Slovakia team will only be joined by Halák and Jurčina (EDIT: I forgot Demitra) next week and then possibly after the 1st round of NHL players by some others.....AFAIK the Swedes will prett much have a new team for Euro Hockey Tour next week with the NHLers and SEL finalists comming in...... Also, the Slovak boys probably had great motivation to play such a good game, because of their miserable performance on Wednesday and because of how they got criticzed by media and fans for being slaughtered by a Swedish "kindergarden" and add the whole Zedník fiasco to it.......

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Meh, I wouldn´t make much of this loss...... This Slovakia team will only be joined by Halák and Jurčina (EDIT: I forgot Demitra) next week and then possibly after the 1st round of NHL players by some others.....AFAIK the Swedes will prett much have a new team for Euro Hockey Tour next week with the NHLers and SEL finalists comming in...... Also, the Slovak boys probably had great motivation to play such a good game, because of their miserable performance on Wednesday and because of how they got criticzed by media and fans for being slaughtered by a Swedish "kindergarden" and add the whole Zedník fiasco to it.......

For sure, this is a good Slovakian team and 2/3 of this Swedish team will not play in the Worlds so. It's a loss that happens if you not play a good game. Too bad for some of the forwards on this team, this was their last chance to impress.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Who will be added from Färjestad and Skellefteå?

Rickard Wallin, Dick Axelsson and Mattias Sjögren have a shot right? Will any of the d-men be considered, theres some borderline guys there but probably not i guess.

From Skellefteå, Larsson, Rundblad and Erixon will perhaps be in the mix or at least 1 or 2 of them. Jimmie Eriksson and Joakim Lindström might also be interesting.

I hope that Robert Nilsson and Erik Ersberg will be a part of the team after the KHL-playoffs end.

Then there is possibly Omark if he have a early exit in the AHL-playoffs, theres the 8 from NHL that has accepted (but will Grossman really be there?) and possibly Erik Karlsson. There might be some more players availeble after the first round of Stanley Cup.

I still think the d is somewhat of a questionmark, offensively we might actually get something pretty decent together.

What do you think the d might look like in the end? Will players like Fernholm and Kronwall still be on the team when the tournament starts?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
^ The way I see it right now Rundblad, Gunnarson, Grossman, Petrasek and Ekholm are likely. Not sure how Ekholm has been as of late, though.

Fernholm was really good last game against Slovakia and I think he'll get another chance in the Czech hockey games. Then we have Erik Karlsson as a maybe still and who knows if Erixon and Larsson will get the chance. I want to see Erixon get a chance next weekend at least. From the Stanley cup playoffs we can get Hjalmarsson and Hedman((I think Edler will say no because of his back problems). They both feel kinda likely, too. I think we will end up with a pretty good group and mix of young D's + Petrasek.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
From the finalists I´ve only read about trio from Skellefteå comming in for Czech Hockey games- Tim Erixon, Davi Tundblad and Jimmie Ericsson in Swedish media so far.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Hm ok, I thought at least Dick Axelsson would get a chance to make the team. A bit strange if the swedish champions will have no players making the team or close to making the team. Färjestad doesn't rely on big stars, but have a very deep team in stead, with lots of secondary scoring and wellrounded quality on the roster, but for sure they should have some guy/guys at least worthy of a shot?

Maybe theres simply no room for Mattias Sjögren and Rickard Wallin any more with Berglund, Backlund, Wandell and Niklas Persson as centers?

Kind of offtopic maybe Färjestad have found the perfect kind of team for some kind of dynasty in SEL. They have really good SEL-players, that are not quite good enough to be stolen by NHL and KHL-teams.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
The Swedish Hockey Federation has released the roster for Czech Hockey Games:

http://www.swehockey.se/ImageVault/Images/id_13534/scope_0/ImageVaultHandler.aspx

The NHL players and Tim Erixon, David Rundblad, Dick Axelsson, Jimmie Ericsson, Mathias Sjögren, and Rickard Wallin joins the team. Loui Eriksson will join the team on Friday, thus missing the game against Russia on Thursday. When KHL finals are done, they will get decisions from Erik Erbserg and Robert Nilsson.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

http://www.swehockey.se/ImageVault/Images/id_13534/scope_0/ImageVaultHandler.aspx

The NHL players and Tim Erixon, David Rundblad, Dick Axelsson, Jimmie Ericsson, Mathias Sjögren, and Rickard Wallin joins the team. Loui Eriksson will join the team on Friday, thus missing the game against Russia on Thursday. When KHL finals are done, they will get decisions from Erik Erbserg and Robert Nilsson.

Rundblad and Erixon over Larsson?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Rundblad and Erixon over Larsson?

Not strange considering how the season has gone for the three.

This list is exactly the D's I expected to battle for it right now. Kronwall, Erixon and Fernholm are likely on the short list if we get someone like Hjalmarsson or Hedman, so better make a statement here.

Speaking about the forwards it looks like Zackrisson, Melin and Lander will be on the outside looking in for now. I wouldn't rule them out completely yet though, but it's a strong 14-man group. Looks a lot more balanced than what we had in the exhibition games. Gotta love that the NHL-players will get a chance to build some chemistry here, will be fun to see Paajarvi on big ice again.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

:facepalm:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What are the chances that Silfverberg makes it? On the bubble I presume?

High chances since he's on this team with the joining NHL players. Only players left outside right now are European playing players, and Stanley Cup will not bring in a whole lot of forwards.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
High chances since he's on this team with the joining NHL players. Only players left outside right now are European playing players, and Stanley Cup will not bring in a whole lot of forwards.

I thought Silfverberg was the most notable Swrdish forward yesterday against Slovakia....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad