Roster Speculation Pt. VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Why does Skinner say yes to a trade at the TDL? He's having a good season on Eichel's wing, playing close to home. Going to a potential playoff team does nothing to improve his current situation as he heads toward UFA. If anything, he'd likely be getting team success while giving up personal success and moving well away from home (likely Western team). Why would he say yes to that? Makes no damn sense for him. Trading him at the TDL was 98% percent a non-option for Botterill. If Botterill even approached Skinner about a trade, that sours contract talks. Let it play out, but contract talks are a two-sided process. Where is the criticism toward Skinner for not re-signing yet at a decent price?

Why would reasonable people be annoyed at a one year mercenary resigning quickly for a non-existent home town discount? What does he owe the franchise, in comparison to a gm who runs the team?

All of those reasons to not want to be traded are possible, but does your analysis seem reasonable if you ignore one of the biggest drivers for most hockey players, particularly Canadians, to win a Cup. I mean, i doubt his value changes much if he leaves the Sabres, he was already over 30 goals by the deadline, and the playoffs are one of the things he doesn't have on his resume. Hard to believe a successful playoff run wouldn't boost his value. And I doubt he considered the alternative of playing poorly, thats not their mindset.

Posters' point is that you are asking him about the trade, because you already realize the terms are not going to work. Like he wants Stone money and botts top number is 8 or 7.5.

Either way it's unreasonable to say it was out of Botts hands. I mean at this rate with all the excuses we need to create for its not botts fault we might as well fo nothing and just draft from a preview guide.

Again, theoretically if Skinner doesn't sign. I'm holding out hope that a good enough deal gets done.

Edit: nevermind I see Paxon already commented on similar points.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Irv’s Offseason Plan, Version 1.0:

Trade:
-Ristolainen, McCabe, Nylander, Canes’ 2021 2nd, -> Brayden Point
-Sobotka -> 6th Round Pick (some old-school GM will value 1 year of Vlad-tastic on their 4th line)

Sign:
Skinner, Stralman, Donskoi, 4th line C/W

Waive/Assign to AHL:
Hunwick, Thompson

Roster:
Skinner-Eichel-Donskoi
Middlestadt-Point-Reinhart
Sheary-Rodrigues-Smith/Olofsson
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo
x. Wilson, XXXX
[Smith/Olofsson, Thompson, Asplund]

Dahlin-Stralman
Pilut-Montour
Scandella-Bogosian
x. Nelson
[Borgen, Hunwick, Redmond]

Ullmark
Hutton
[Wedgewood, UPL]

Assumptions:
-Skinner signs: 7 years x 8 million
-Scandella returns to form as a solid 5/6 that can take heavy D-Zone starts and play on the PK. He’s been battling an injury and regains mobility and confidence.
-Middlestadt’s chemistry with Reinhart earns him LW on a 2-way scoring line.
-Rodrigues remains at Center on a secondary scoring line.
-Thompson is waived and continues his development in Rochester.
-One of Smith or Olofsson takes Tage’s place, with the other acting as first call-up.
-Hunwick is also waived and spends his last year mentoring Borgen and the kids.
-Pilut makes the team out of camp and plays well enough to earn second-paring LHD duties. He rides shotgun with Montour playing sheltered, O-Zone heavy minutes and gets lots of 2nd PP time.
-Sabres sign a physical 4th line C/W who will hit and fight. Team toughness is an issue, and they need someone on their roster that can be inserted against tougher teams without being a total black-hole of suck defensively.
-Skinner, Point, Stralman, Donskoi and the aforementioned 4th line C/W can all be added and signed without surpassing the salary cap (too lazy to CapFriendly it right now).
-If these deals can’t be fit under the cap, Sabres flip Bogosian for a 3rd and sign a 6/7 defenseman at the vet minimum to compete with Nelson for the 3rd pairing RHD spot.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007

Trade:
-Sobotka -> 6th Round Pick (some old-school GM will value 1 year of Vlad-tastic on their 4th line)

Sign:

Waive/Assign to AHL:
Hunwick, Thompson

Roster:
Skinner-Eichel-Donskoi
x. Wilson, XXXX

Dahlin-Stralman
Pilut-Montour
Scandella-Bogosian
x. Nelson

Ullmark
Hutton
[Wedgewood, UPL]

Assumptions:
-Scandella returns to form as a solid 5/6 that can take heavy D-Zone starts and play on the PK. He’s been battling an injury and regains mobility and confidence.
-One of Smith or Olofsson takes Tage’s place, with the other acting as first call-up.
-Pilut makes the team out of camp and plays well enough to earn second-paring LHD duties. He rides shotgun with Montour playing sheltered, O-Zone heavy minutes and gets lots of 2nd PP time.
-Sabres sign a physical 4th line C/W who will hit and fight. Team toughness is an issue, and they need someone on their roster that can be inserted against tougher teams without being a total black-hole of suck defensively.
-Skinner, Point, Stralman, Donskoi and the aforementioned 4th line C/W can all be added and signed without surpassing the salary cap (too lazy to CapFriendly it right now).
-If these deals can’t be fit under the cap, Sabres flip Bogosian for a 3rd and sign a 6/7 defenseman at the vet minimum to compete with Nelson for the 3rd pairing RHD spot.
Are you confident your Point deal is realistic? Post it in the Trade Forum.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Thinking about some moves:

Now:
- Re-sign Skinner. Just do it. I understand the thoughts about cap percentage but he can play with Eichel, and Reinhart, and on his own. And he can put the puck in the net. He's aggressive.
- Sign Clarkson center Nico Sturm. Adds big center depth.
- Fire Housley. Varying ideas of who. I like the idea of Jacques Martin as a task-master. I also like the idea of Quenneville, since he's won everywhere he's been.

Draft:
- Trade Ristolainen and Girgensons to Tampa Bay for JT Miller, Called Foote, Ryan Callahan, and Boris Ratchouk.
- Go BPA in the top 10 and take an impact player. Go BPA with the second first round pick as well.
- Move Bogosian, Scandella, and Sobotka for whatever. Additions by subtraction. Possibly include one of the defenders in the Tampa trade.

Free Agency: go cautiously.
- Sign Joonas Donskoi.
- Sign some smaller news free agents as Rochester filler/back on the roster types.

Nylander - Eichel - Donskoi
Skinner - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Sheary - Miller - Oloffson
Thompson - Larsson - Rodrigues
x Callahan, Okposo

- Call-ups: Asplund, Ratchouk

Dahlin - Montour
Pilut - Nelson
McCabe - Borgen
Hunwick

Call ups: Foote

Ullmark, Hutton

Defense isn't that great, so I'd look for a move for another top 4 defender. I think Foote eventually takes that role.

Why I'd make the Ristolainen trade:
Foote: does everything Ristolainen can do, aside from the rushes, but has way higher hockey IQ. Won't dish out and back down either.
Ratchouk: big power forward who can skate (mother was a Russian figure skater). Tough and plays in front of the net.

Deleted member 27798

Trade:

Sign:

Waive/Assign to AHL:
Hunwick, Thompson

Roster:
Skinner-Eichel-Donskoi
x. Wilson, XXXX

Dahlin-Stralman
Pilut-Montour
Scandella-Bogosian
x. Nelson

Ullmark
Hutton
[Wedgewood, UPL]

Assumptions:
Your plan hit a brick wall with your first bullet point. ;)

Reactions: Chainshot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

So does this mean they have the go-ahead to engage with guys around the goalie? Every time I watch them guys have an easy pass to go right to the net.

Or are we going to just ignore that and just focus on the issue of getting your guys in front of the other team’s net.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
We might see an influx from Rochester next year.

Nylander is already making a strong case, Olofsson is tearing it up, Asplund has gone off in the last 14 games and even Danny O'Regan looked good in his call up.

Have to start moving out some bodies to make room. Pommers, Wilson are both gone for sure, but we need to somehow get rid of Sobotka.

Then you have Borgen and Pilut who might make a case from the blue line.

Reactions: BananaSquad

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Offseason Plan

- Trade Risto for a more defensive minded D. Whether you have to add slightly to him or trade him for a lesser D plus. (Trouba? Cernak? other?)

- Sign a Kevin Hayes type 2C

- Resign Skinner long term

- Dump/waive Scandella, Sobotka and Hunwick, put Thompson in the AHL.

Skinner - Eichel - Nylander
Olofsson - "Hayes" - Reinhart
Sheary - Mittelstadt - ERod
Smith - Larsson - Okposo
X - Girgensons, Wilson

Dahlin - "Risto Trade"
McCabe - Montour
Pilut - Bogosian
X - Nelson

Hutton
Ullmark

PP1
Skinner - Reinhart - Olofsson
Eichel - Dahlin

PP2
Nylander - "Hayes" - Mittelstadt
Pilut - Montour

PK1
Larsson - Rodrigues
McCabe - "Risto trade"

PK2
Smith - Eichel
Dahlin - Bogosian

I think a lot of our forward upgrades can be made through the promotion of Nylander, Olofsson and Smith; as well as the development of Mittelstadt. But still need to add at least ONE major impact forward (preferably C) and retain Skinner.

On D, I feel the major shake up needed is the Risto trade. If he is back, he will be miscast once again and it will end in failure. Finding a more reliable D for him would make me very happy.

Maybe add some more depth in there but this is a general framework I realistically hope for to set us up in a bit better position for next season.

Reactions: WpgBuffan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So does this mean they have the go-ahead to engage with guys around the goalie? Every time I watch them guys have an easy pass to go right to the net.

Or are we going to just ignore that and just focus on the issue of getting your guys in front of the other team’s net.

Most of the forwards don't stop near the crease. This squad is made up of a bunch of daisy curl artists.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Most of the forwards don't stop near the crease. This squad is made up of a bunch of daisy curl artists.

My mistake, I shouldve been more clear. The opposing forwards from the other teams, that go to the net consistently, are they going to start engaging them to clear them out, or are they just focusing on our need for the forwards to go the net, and going to ignore the defensive struggles with forwards and guys being in the goalie.

Even with that said, it’s going to lead to loss of possession because when our defense are slow to get their shots off, they will just play it around the boards where our forwards will be too slow to get to the puck and lead to possession change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad