Speculation: Roster Speculation Part V: Looking to Trade 1sts for Rentals ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
According to Mike Russo, the Sabres are having their scouting meetings in Vegas and their whole staff is staying in the same hotel as he is. So not much to read into
Pierre didn't just mention the number of scouts, he mentioned that they were important. He also dropped that something could be imminent. I don't think Pierre would say something like that if he didn't already have a bead on it. But who knows.

It's fun to speculate, but you have to think that they Sabres are in on Coyle.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Pierre didn't just mention the number of scouts, he mentioned that they were important. He also dropped that something could be imminent. I don't think Pierre would say something like that if he didn't already have a bead on it. But who knows.

It's fun to speculate, but you have to think that they Sabres are in on Coyle.
Wouldn't it be the important scouts at the Sabres scouting meetings? I hope they are paying more attention to the Vegas players than Minnesota players.

sabresnyper

Jun 23, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I’d be interested in Brayden Schenn. Not sure what it would take, but that could work.
(Full disclosure...I did no cap homework etc...random thought)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
According to Mike Russo, the Sabres are having their scouting meetings in Vegas and their whole staff is staying in the same hotel as he is. So not much to read into
Just to piggyback on this... the simplest conclusion drawn from these BUF scouting bits are that they're nothing. That's simply their pro scouts taking in games, aka their job. BUF had four of their pro scouts at PIT-VGK on Saturday, followed by five today at MIN-VGK, but the important context is that BUF were holding their pro scouting meetings over this bye/break/weekend in Las Vegas. Their entire pro staff below were at these normal meetings and then listed at the local games. I wouldn't read into it as scouting MIN, PIT, or VGK.

- Assistant GM: Steve Greeley (NJD/NYR/PHI/Metro)
- Pro Scout: Jeremiah Crowe (CHI/Central)
- Pro Scout: Mark Mowers (BOS/Atlantic)
- Pro Scout: John Van Boxmeer (ANA/LAK/Pacific)
- Pro Scout: Graham Beamish (BUF/Pro Scouting Coordinator)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I’d be interested in Brayden Schenn. Not sure what it would take, but that could work.
(Full disclosure...I did no cap homework etc...random thought)

STL will want their 1st back. Buffalo holds on to it. I’m only trading that back if Tarasenko or parayko comes back.

Buffalo shoukd just put Reinhart at center

Sheary-Eichel- Pominville
Skinner-Reinhart-Thompson
Smith-Mitts-KO
ERod-Larsson-Girgs

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
STL will want their 1st back. Buffalo holds on to it. I’m only trading that back if Tarasenko or parayko comes back.

Smith-Mitts-KO
ERod-Larsson-Girgs

I just want to see lineups in the future that don’t include Pominville or Okposo.
Would build a bronze statue of Botts if he traded Okposo.

Reactions: WYFR

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Smith-Mitts-KO
ERod-Larsson-Girgs
That's wild. I would trade the Blues their first back for Brayden Schenn without even thinking about it.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I just want to see lineups in the future that don’t include Pominville or Okposo.
Would build a bronze statue of Botts if he traded Okposo.
Would you trade him at 50% retained? I would most definitely take $3M back on our cap for the next four seasons.

I can't imagine many teams would even be willing to do that, as they can see what we see, a guy barely holding on to the NHL at this point. He'd have to go to a team that is not so concerned about Cap Space.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Would you trade him at 50% retained? I would most definitely take $3M back on our cap for the next four seasons.

I can't imagine many teams would even be willing to do that, as they can see what we see, a guy barely holding on to the NHL at this point. He'd have to go to a team that is not so concerned about Cap Space.
Honestly, he plays a game that compliments well with our 4th line grinders. If he's still well-liked in the locker room, and isn't going to get depressed over being 'underplayed', it's not the worst contract situation. Yes, he's way overpaid for that role, but it's not a Moulson or Leino scenario.

My biggest issue with him is the weak hooking penalties he takes too often. Second comes the cap hit, but the cap isn't what's holding this team back at the moment.

If you trade him at 50% and replace him with a $1mm AAV player, that's a net $2mm AAV savings. Assuming you don't take any higher salaries back in return.. If that's the difference between this team competing and not, ok sure, but I don't think we're up to those ropes right now. The longer we keep him the less it will cost us to trade him away I would think. Barring Chia getting involved somehow

Or you just wait for 2 years and compliance buyout and be done with it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der Jaeger

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Or actually have quality centers they can use with him. He has shown in the past that when he was with ROR or Eichel, he was a reliable winger to provide a role on the line, and he showed chemistry. Can't stick him with a center like Sobotka, or Larsson (who is limited offensively) and expect Okposo to play well off those guys since they aren't looking to play the cycle game or capable of creating offense in general. The few times he's been an effective player has been with Mittelstadt in the cycling game. Though I've had no problems with Okposo playing with Larsson, he's just not going to score goals (what his purpose was) on that line consistently.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Would previous concussion issues be a possible reason for LTIR? Technically you could play hockey while suffering from permanent braindamage but maybe a stiff neck and a history with a critical condition could help ltir?

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Or actually have quality centers they can use with him. He has shown in the past that when he was with ROR or Eichel, he was a reliable winger to provide a role on the line, and he showed chemistry. Can't stick him with a center like Sobotka, or Larsson (who is limited offensively) and expect Okposo to play well off those guys since they aren't looking to play the cycle game or capable of creating offense in general. The few times he's been an effective player has been with Mittelstadt in the cycling game. Though I've had no problems with Okposo playing with Larsson, he's just not going to score goals (what his purpose was) on that line consistently.
I simply disagree. You're basing things off of pre-head injury Okposo. His hands and feet have lost a step or two, and he doesn't make plays quick enough in this league. Too many pucks die on his stick.

I'm sorry, I don't even see a $3M winger at this point. He's simply a shell of a player that he once was. It's amazing how several big contracts to the bigger, slower UFAs have completely come back to bite teams.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Would anyone trade Girgensons or Larsson straight up for Brassard?

Penguins have 100k in cap space, we cannot dump Sobotka as a plus on to them unless we retain 50% or take a cheap player back.

Even if we managed to dump Sobotka on to them, I'm not sure losing one of two effective RFA players for a rental is worth it.

Of course, if some magical deal around Sobotka 50% + late picks/uneventful prospects occurs, I'd be all for it, but with Girgensons or Larsson.

Reactions: Mitts888

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He worked well with ROR not so much Jack.

Not sure at this point though how much is his diminished game post concussion and how much is his centers. A big reason KO clicked so well with ROR was due to him being a highly skilled center who could also grind/cycle. Which is why I think Okposo’s has played well with Larsson. It’s a return for him to that grind and cycle game. But Larsson obviously is not nearly as talented as ROR.

Last edited:

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Would anyone trade Girgensons or Larsson straight up for Brassard?

Penguins have 100k in cap space, we cannot dump Sobotka as a plus on to them unless we retain 50% or take a cheap player back.

Even if we managed to dump Sobotka on to them, I'm not sure losing one of two effective RFA players for a rental is worth it.

Of course, if some magical deal around Sobotka 50% + late picks/uneventful prospects occurs, I'd be all for it, but with Girgensons or Larsson.
No, our only two consistent players and only two who play defense

Reactions: Jim Bob

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He worked well with ROR not so much Jack.

Not sure at this point though how much is his diminished game post concussion and how much is his centers. Part of the reason he clicked so well with ROR was ROR was highly skilled center who could also grind/cycle. Which is why I think Okposo’s has played well with Larsson. But Larsson obviously is not nearly as talented as ROR.

I thought he played well with Jack, but either way, I think we're on the same page about Okposo with Larsson.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I wonder if Minnesota would be interested in Scandella again. Scandella + for Coyle might be a good deal. We get a center and Beaulieu gets to play.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wonder if Minnesota would be interested in Scandella again. Scandella + for Coyle might be a good deal. We get a center and Beaulieu gets to play.
Not sure what to ask in return but supposedly Philly wants to add vet help to their blueline. They may be a dance partner if we were looking to move Scandella. But I have my doubts that’s the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad