Speculation: Roster Speculation Part V: Looking to Trade 1sts for Rentals ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Wait, so the idea of making an improvement to the mid-6 for someone like Ferland when this team is frittering away points in 1-goal losses is not going to make a difference in playoff position?

Ferland checks off a couple team needs. I’d make that move.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
The people who are incredibly impatient with the rebuild are the ones who bought into Murrays ‘accelerated’ timeline and are imposing those expectations on Botterill.

I’m sure he’s actively looking for upgrades in any way he can find them. Whether it’s big deals using firsts and minor deals using 5ths like he did last season.

But it takes two to tango and we either have D depth that already had to play Tennyson this season to get thinner, or 1sts. And trading 1sts for rentals is managing assets like our last failed GM did.

I also don’t get this notion that if we don’t make the playoffs we have to trade Skinner? We found chemistry for Eichel finally after all those years—and he wants to stay. You sign him long term and that’s that. You only trade for assets guys who don’t fit. Skinner fits this team. Better than Kane ever did, when our last GM traded the family farm he inherited to get him before vetting anything like character or desire.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The Sabres are faltering. It's only a matter of time now, not if, but when they drop out of the playoff race. I predict by early Feb. the Sabres are out of it for good unless Botterill and Housley do something to alter the current direction of the team.

With so many years now with this current core (Eichel, Reinhart, Risto) and no playoffs you just know it has to wear on the players.

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY
The people who are incredibly impatient with the rebuild are the ones who bought into Murrays ‘accelerated’ timeline and are imposing those expectations on Botterill.

I’m sure he’s actively looking for upgrades in any way he can find them. Whether it’s big deals using firsts and minor deals using 5ths like he did last season.

But it takes two to tango and we either have D depth that already had to play Tennyson this season to get thinner, or 1sts. And trading 1sts for rentals is managing assets like our last failed GM did.

I also don’t get this notion that if we don’t make the playoffs we have to trade Skinner? We found chemistry for Eichel finally after all those years—and he wants to stay. You sign him long term and that’s that. You only trade for assets guys who don’t fit. Skinner fits this team. Better than Kane ever did, when our last GM traded the family farm he inherited to get him before vetting anything like character or desire.

Is Skinner still gonna want to stay if we continue to free fall right out of the playoffs...?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Wait, so the idea of making an improvement to the mid-6 for someone like Ferland when this team is frittering away points in 1-goal losses is not going to make a difference in playoff position?

The question isn't whether it makes a difference, it's whether it's worth a 1st. I remain firmly in the camp that we are not a good enough team yet to be blowing high quality futures on rentals.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Is Skinner still gonna want to stay if we continue to free fall right out of the playoffs...?

He looks like he’s having fun out there. He’s close to home which has been reported to be important to him, Toronto can’t sign him, and he knows like the sensible ones here that as Dahlin gets better and youth grows up, this team is going to be good.

A free fall only happens if Eichel is out long term. And this team is Eichel or nothing. No cause for concern there.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Finishing isn't one of them. No thanks.

There’s more to hockey than just scoring goals. How about the guy that create the chances that other guys finishes? We have very few guys that can create/start plays that afford us the chance to finish plays.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Please tell me why Reinhart and Thompson aren't together. They looked good for the brief time that they were.

There has been almost ZERO effort to establish a solid second line.

Reinhart is being wasted with Eichel and Skinner. Starting to think that the fact that he is glued to Eichel and Skinner is more promise related, and it's to the detriment of this team.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
There’s more to hockey than just scoring goals. How about the guy that create the chances that other guys finishes? We have very few guys that can create/start plays that afford us the chance to finish plays.
There is truth in this as well. But right now we lack finishers, I'd like to see the organization give the playmakers we do have some support before we bring in more playmakers. They are nice to have, but without finishers they are spinning their wheels here in Buffalo for the most part.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The question isn't whether it makes a difference, it's whether it's worth a 1st. I remain firmly in the camp that we are not a good enough team yet to be blowing high quality futures on rentals.

Is Ferland actually going to return a first? I have my doubts.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Is Ferland actually going to return a first? I have my doubts.

If he keeps scoring the way he has been, I think he certainly could. If the price is lower than that, going after him becomes more appealing, though I'd still prefer not to spend futures on players that will only be here a couple months.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If we trade our firsts for rentals, we are back to the Tim Murray years. We've had some nice growth this year, let's not blow. Our time is coming up
What does trading picks for rentals have to do with Tim Murray? Some of you need to start collecting rent from the guy, jeez.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I think the team suffers from lacking playmakers more than it does lacking finishers. Skinner, Sheary, Thompson, Pominville, and Okposo do just fine finishing. Problem is, those players don’t get to dangerous spots on their own often enough, and our forecheck dies with all these weak players on the team and turnover freaks we have.

Rodrigues is a playmaker, which is why he’s refreshing to watch, but he’s lower tier. Mittelstadt is playing far too defensive at the moment and isn’t paired with anyone who can sustain a cycle yet. We don’t have any wingers in the top-9 who are strong fast forecheckers and that kills this team. Girgensons and Berglund did great, on the fourth line. But now they’re injured or gone. We don’t have others.

Give me a fast hard forechecker that makes a play or two and I think they’ll do well with all these finishers we have who don’t make their own space often enough.

Reactions: Goathead and DatGuy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->