Roster Speculation, 2018 offseason Part 4/ Post-free agency edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

The top 2 lines are the same that I suggested, although I project Marty's second line as a heavily sheltered 3rd line, and if you replace the bottom 6 Marty has with:
Berglund-Erod-Okposo (as 2nd line)
Wilson-Sobotka-Girgensons
Baptiste

Pominville, Moulson, Bailey waived, Larsson traded.

You get faster overall, with more distributed scoring.

Man, if only they could shed that Okposo contract while he's still producing.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I can't imagine Sheary and Skinner were acquired to not have either on Jack's wing.

Sorry tht's a lot of negatives.

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
The top 2 lines are the same that I suggested, although I project Marty's second line as a heavily sheltered 3rd line, and if you replace the bottom 6 Marty has with:
Berglund-Erod-Okposo (as 2nd line)
Wilson-Sobotka-Girgensons
Baptiste

Pominville, Moulson, Bailey waived, Larsson traded.

You get faster overall, with more distributed scoring.

Man, if only they could shed that Okposo contract while he's still producing.
How are you getting faster overall if you waive Bailey ? :huh:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
PSA: Berglund isn't good. Sobotka is bad. Stop acting otherwise. Neither should be in the top 6 and ideally neither is in the top 9.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
PSA: Berglund isn't good. Sobotka is bad. Stop acting otherwise. Neither should be in the top 6 and ideally neither is in the top 9.

I'd agree that neither is on a good contract.

No reason Berglund isn't in our top 9. Sobotka probably is a 4th liner at this point.

Am I excited about paying Berglund 3.85M the next 4 years? No.

He's still a NHLer.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I feel like we could safely name 9 forwards who everyone agrees should be on the roster. For the remaining 4-5, camp will be a war.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Come on. Berglund could score 15 goals for us next year. Stop underestimating him for whatever reason. He's an upgrade to the top 9. He can fill in the top 6 if injuries hit.

Sobotka is an upgrade to our bottom 6 forwards.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
lol forgot Sheary, put him on the second and bump Rod to the 3rd. I put my heart and soul into those lines. Reinhart-Mittelstadt-Sheary or Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart (Reinhart can play both, but I like him better on the left side, but a R handed Reinhart on the RW would do wonders for Mittelstud)

*Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson

Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart

Rodriquez -Berglund-Okposo

Sobotka-Larsson-Baptiste/Girgensons*​

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If Larsson gets back to the level he was at before last season I'll take him over both Berglund and Sobotka tbh.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Come on. Berglund could score 15 goals for us next year. Stop underestimating him for whatever reason. He's an upgrade to the top 9. He can fill in the top 6 if injuries hit.

Sobotka is an upgrade to our bottom 6 forwards.

That is 2 more goals than Benoit Pouliot scored for us last year...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If Larsson gets back to the level he was at before last season I'll take him over both Berglund and Sobotka tbh.

If the rest of the roster wasn't such a mess.... a Sobotka-Larsson line would actually get me excited. What a pain they would be to play against.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
That is 2 more goals than Benoit Pouliot scored for us last year...
Well he could easily score 20 +. He's been a guy getting heavy D zone starts, still has positive possession #s, and has continued to fill in the top 6 when injuries hit on good St Louis teams.

I hope we don't have to see him getting top 6 minutes unless injuries pile up, but he can still contribute.

Roosters

Jan 29, 2017
Got bored so i was thinking about the future and a possible expansion draft in 2020. It affects what Botts will and can do with the roster. As by now it would look like this. (Only using Players that i think will be on Sabres at this Point)

Forwards:

Protected: Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Nylander, Thompson, Rodrigues, X
Exempt: Mittelstadt, Olofsson, Asplund, Oglevie, (ELC signings)
RFA 2020: Girgensons, Smith, O´Regan, Malone, Bailey, Baptiste
UFA 2020: Sobotka, Sheary, Wilson
Exposed: Okposo, Berglund

Defenders:

Protected: Ristolainen, Guhle, X
Exempt: Dahlin, Pilut, Hickey, Borgen, (ELC signings)
RFA 2020: McCabe(?)
UFA 2020: Scandella, Bogosian, Nelson, Hunwick
Exposed: X

Goalies:

Protected/Exposed: Ullmark/Hutton - Depends how they perform, probably go with Ullmark
Exempt: Luukkonen

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
We don't have much - Bogo and McCabe, maybe Scandella. Okposo could have been in that group but with his concussion history I hope he keeps away from any of that. Risto has his moments but that is not his thing.

Man I wish Bailey had a mean streak. I don't see much other than maybe Samuelsson in the pipeline, either.

Right?!?! I mean his dad was a linebacker, how is it that Bailey doesn't play like a military grade destroyer (a la Tom Wilson)?

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
He's effective on the wing though, and not effective in the middle. I don't want to waste another first half of the season trying to shoehorn him into a role he hasn't shown himself to be suited for.
Has he really had a shot in the middle? He's had nothing but garbage on his wings for the 10 or so games he was tried at center. Give him another shot with good wingers, and if he fails, then back to the wing. Him Mittelstadt and Eichel down the middle would be unreal for the next 10 or so years. But like you said, let's not shoehorn him ... if he can't do it he can't, but I'm not ready to put that to bed just yet.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
"a lot more" is a stretch

regardless, the point i was replying to was highlighting his goal scoring...

He's a solid 3rd line/decent 2nd line player. Pouliot was only valuable for hit shot from time to time.

I know it was highlighting goalscoring, but to use the Pouliot name as comparison is a bit of a straw man.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I just got done watching 10 Blues games, and I'm not a huge Berglund guy or a fan of the trade, AND I really thought Larsson was going to be a bottom 6 staple for us before that arm injury, but the Berglund I saw in those ten games spread across the year was notably better than the best Larsson has ever been.

The people calling him slow, too, may be correct if you're comparing him to elite NHL players, but I saw no discernable difference between his skating and pretty much any single other Blues player that wasn't Schwartz...and he looked to skate faster than ROR does. Just sayin

Reactions: Buf fan in Nash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad