Roster Speculation, 2018 offseason Part 4/ Post-free agency edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sobotka's decline even over the course of this past spring is pretty alarming. I hope he'll be refreshed playing on a new team, but there's a real chance he doesn't last long in the lineup, especially if a couple of kids surprise.
Hopefully less ice time does the trick. He was 6th in ES and overall ice time for the Blues. He played 14:19mins a night at ES and 17:07 overall last year.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Right?!?! I mean his dad was a linebacker, how is it that Bailey doesn't play like a military grade destroyer (a la Tom Wilson)?

Considering that by all accounts Carlton Bailey never played a big role in Justin's life, I don't see why his football position would have much influence on Justin's playing style.

dotcom is right. Bailey's dad wasn't really around much at all during his upbringing. I think they might still be estranged but on speaking terms. IE: not good but not horrid.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
dotcom is right. Bailey's dad wasn't really around much at all during his upbringing. I think they might still be estranged but on speaking terms. IE: not good but not horrid.

Fair enough, but I was speaking more about the nature aspect in the nature vs nurture debate :)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Surprised you aren't a pro scout with this level of insightfulness

They could easily bounce back in a larger and different role this year. They were both kind of lost in the shuffle in STL and this could provide a spark for them. Of course it's no guarantee but neither is it a guarantee that they are bad. They were both full time players with 16+ minutes a game for a team way better than us. We can all see the analytics, but it's all you seem to put any stock into whatsoever. You say Jaskin is an amazing defensive forward yet he averages 3 seconds of PK time over 76 games! Meanwhile "bad" Sobotka and Berglund are both around a minute of pk time a game and if you remove the traded Stastny both were top 6 forwards by even strength and PP ice time.

What do you mean by bigger role and lost in the shuffle?

My understanding from blues fans and articles, is that they played more and in bigger roles than they could handle, due to a ton of injuries.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
What do you mean by bigger role and lost in the shuffle?

My understanding from blues fans and articles, is that they played more and in bigger roles than they could handle, due to a ton of injuries.
I guess what I meant is that the Blues are a veteran-heavy team while the Sabres are young and in need of some veteran guidance. In this sense it might be a bit of a different challenge for these guys to take on more of a leadership role knowing that they were targeted as vets to help a young team. They were both a bit stale in St Louis

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I am hoping Botterill can acquire a RHD with a defensive-orientation. Somebody like Pysyk. Pair him with Scandella and let them eat tough minutes.

Hoping it looks something like a quantity for quality deal. 3 for 1. Maybe 3 if Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander, McCabe packaged in some way.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I guess what I meant is that the Blues are a veteran-heavy team while the Sabres are young and in need of some veteran guidance. In this sense it might be a bit of a different challenge for these guys to take on more of a leadership role knowing that they were targeted as vets to help a young team. They were both a bit stale in St Louis

So they will play well because they will be in a mentor role?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I am hoping Botterill can acquire a RHD with a defensive-orientation. Somebody like Pysyk. Pair him with Scandella and let them eat tough minutes.

Hoping it looks something like a quantity for quality deal. 3 for 1. Maybe 3 if Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander, McCabe packaged in some way.

Would Florida do something like

Bogo with a million retained and a 2nd for Pysyk?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Would Florida do something like

Bogo with a million retained and a 2nd for Pysyk?

I don't think so. Pysyk was just illustrative of the type of defenseman who could work as the #4. Actually getting Pysyk would take more than just Bogosian. And the Sabres don't have a 2nd in 2019.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I don't think so. Pysyk was just illustrative of the type of defenseman who could work as the #4. Actually getting Pysyk would take more than just Bogosian. And the Sabres don't have a 2nd in 2019.

damn that trade was so bad, mainly because it was so unnecessary, and it's still haunting us. but...hey, Pyser's corsi was negative last year, and here's to Asplund becoming a really good NHL player *clinks beers*

Reactions: sabrebuild

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
It would be in the Sabres best interests to not have Dahlin starting in the top 4. What happens if he struggles early on? Is a McCabe - Bogo 2nd pairing really going to hold down the fort for 30-40 games while Scandella - Risto get loaded with 25+ minutes a night? That's a very possible nightmare scenario. Add in the fact that Bogo has been consistently injured, and it could be a disaster on the back end. A lot is riding on Dahlin being an effective top 4 d man right off the bat.

I'm not saying Dahlin can't handle those minutes, but its irresponsible for an organization to throw their 18 year old franchise defenseman to the wolves in his first year. In my opinion, top 4 D is still a big need.

Reactions: haseoke39

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
It would be in the Sabres best interests to not have Dahlin starting in the top 4. What happens if he struggles early on? Is a McCabe - Bogo 2nd pairing really going to hold down the fort for 30-40 games while Scandella - Risto get loaded with 25+ minutes a night? That's a very possible nightmare scenario. Add in the fact that Bogo has been consistently injured, and it could be a disaster on the back end. A lot is riding on Dahlin being an effective top 4 d man right off the bat.

I'm not saying Dahlin can't handle those minutes, but its irresponsible for an organization to throw their 18 year old franchise defenseman to the wolves in his first year. In my opinion, top 4 D is still a big need.
Elite players dont need to be sheltered. Eichel was our 1C for all intensive purposes day 1, Dahlin can at worst be on the 2nd pair. Top 4 lol, maybe dont rely on him to be the #1, but not being in the top 4 is laughable

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Saying Dahlin should play on the 3rd pairing is like saying Eichel should play on the third line 3 summers ago. Dahlin is going to play top 4 minutes right away. He's a phenom and those guys make an instant impact. There is no more major moves in the pipeline the cap is too tight to add a big contract. Scandella, Risto, Dahlin, Bogo and McCabe can handle top 4 duties. I want to see what Dahlin has and that means he needs 16-17 mins at ES and ample PP time. 19-20 minutes his rookie year is on the Low end of the spectrum, I can see him getting 22 minutes a game.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Saying Dahlin should play on the 3rd pairing is like saying Eichel should play on the third line 3 summers ago. Dahlin is going to play top 4 minutes right away. He's a phenom and those guys make an instant impact. There is no more major moves in the pipeline the cap is too tight to add a big contract. Scandella, Risto, Dahlin, Bogo and McCabe can handle top 4 duties. I want to see what Dahlin has and that means he needs 16-17 mins at ES and ample PP time. 19-20 minutes his rookie year is on the Low end of the spectrum, I can see him getting 22 minutes a game.

I wouldn't be shocked after the first or second game hearing someone say Dahlin would be better in Rochester for the season.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
damn that trade was so bad, mainly because it was so unnecessary, and it's still haunting us. but...hey, Pyser's corsi was negative last year, and here's to Asplund becoming a really good NHL player *clinks beers*

I still trade the offensive limited RHD that couldn’t jump Bogo in the depth chart, for a (at the time) Top 4 player who has been playing that role for a bit to shore up the LD.

But I’m sure Murray just knew that he was going to have a freak injury that derailed his whole season and didn’t allow him to be 100% because of a bench door...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Quite possibly yes. You're suggesting that players never get revitalized by moving to a new team or new role?

Considering their age, the team they came from, and the disciplined structure they were once a part of, and their better than average coaching, and now they are tasked to go to an undisciplined, defensive defecent team with below average coaching who couldn’t make judgement call on who should be captain, and you expect them to be revitalized? Nothing about this team, especially right now, screams we’re an organization that is capable of having guys come in and take ownership of a room.

Hell, a respected vet like Gionta couldn’t get through to help shape our guys better and we still have a large collection of players still here that were reportedly a major issue of that problem, namely Eichel.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

I agree that simply throwing young players into #1 roles isn't a great strategy, generally, and top-4 D is still a need. Those are good points.

There's a good chance that Dahlin is the Sabres best player, even next year. He is *extremely* talented. He should be getting minutes. However, it is possible to do that without "throwing him to the wolves." I think the organization does have some insulation for Dahlin. Consider that the organization has been throwing Ristolainen to the wolves for *checks calendar* four years and there is, at the moment, no reason to believe they will stop doing that. There are plenty of guys that Housley can send over the boards for difficult minutes without giving Dahlin ALL the difficult situations by default.

Having said this, if I had to guess right now, Dahlin will have earned some difficult minutes by the end of the year, and he'll be out there on merit. This kid is unique.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Considering their age, the team they came from, and the disciplined structure they were once a part of, and their better than average coaching, and now they are tasked to go to an undisciplined, defensive defecent team with below average coaching who couldn’t make judgement call on who should be captain, and you expect them to be revitalized? Nothing about this team, especially right now, screams we’re an organization that is capable of having guys come in and take ownership of a room.

Hell, a respected vet like Gionta couldn’t get through to help shape our guys better and we still have a large collection of players still here that were reportedly a major issue of that problem, namely Eichel.
We don't need them to take over the room, We just need them to set an example with good habits and work ethic and use their experience to help out where they can. Say what you will about Gionta but the team got much worse when he left.

Maybe Jack has grown up maybe he hasn't. Obviously there's a chance you are right but man.... the insistence on negativity astounds me. You don't think 18 year old Dahlin and our other young Swedish talents could learn a thing from Patrik Berglund and his 694 NHL games, 60 playoff games, and winning an Olympic silver medal? He just turned 30 and speed has never been his strong suit so I don't see why he doesn't have at least 2-3 good years left. I think he could be somewhere between a Gaustad and a Hecht for us.

Sobotka is more of a wildcard but obviously our guys liked something about him.. I don't see why it's spoken so surely that he will suck, as if there's no chance he could bounce back and be effective this season and next... even in a supposedly putrid year from him there are just 5 forwards returning to the Sabres from last year who produced more than him (im including ERod for his pace), and it's not like the Blues had a great offense. He will only be 32 when he is off our books and we have some young LWers who will be ready to take that spot. Botts has a plan and I really do have a lot of confidence in him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Leafs fans on the main board trying to tell me that Pominville is a decent player...how fun!

Reactions: Rasmi

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I still trade the offensive limited RHD that couldn’t jump Bogo in the depth chart, for a (at the time) Top 4 player who has been playing that role for a bit to shore up the LD.

But I’m sure Murray just knew that he was going to have a freak injury that derailed his whole season and didn’t allow him to be 100% because of a bench door...

I don't mean to have a referendum on Kulikov. I agree - he had a freak injury that presumably hampered him all year (and possibly still does, who knows - back injuries are extremely problematic). But, the point is, the trade was just not necessary. Pysyk does not score - this is true. But, he had good underlying stats. The thing about Pysyk was that he was *effective* and *didn't cost much* and *is right handed.* Are we not clamoring for a player exactly like that right now?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I don't mean to have a referendum on Kulikov. I agree - he had a freak injury that presumably hampered him all year (and possibly still does, who knows - back injuries are extremely problematic). But, the point is, the trade was just not necessary. Pysyk does not score - this is true. But, he had good underlying stats. The thing about Pysyk was that he was *effective* and *didn't cost much* and *is right handed.* Are we not clamoring for a player exactly like that right now?

The RFA vs UFA was more annoying. But Murray just wasn't a fan of Pysyk.

But we got Asplund, and he might end up being more essential for us in the long term than either Pysyk or Kulikov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad