Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronr28

Mar 7, 2003
Chicago
www.footballguys.com
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
Evander Kane has played his last game as a Jet.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Kane out 4-6 months with pending shoulder surgery as per the Jets. Will scare most teams away, but not all. More in Dreger Report to come.

Perfect opportunity for the Sabres here.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
Evander Kane has played his last game as a Jet.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Kane out 4-6 months with pending shoulder surgery as per the Jets. Will scare most teams away, but not all. More in Dreger Report to come.

Perfect opportunity for the Sabres here.

Yep. If they want him they no longer need worry if he would throw off the tank if acquired.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Yep. If they want him they no longer need worry if he would throw off the tank if acquired.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. They are in the middle of a playoff hunt. We have a few players (and rentals) that could give them immediate help to get in the playoffs.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...behaving-kids-need--discipline-235343693.html

On Thursday, Kane’s teammate spoke about the healthy scratch, before the rest of the incident came to light. And, well, it’s pretty easy to read between the lines.

"There’s a standard that everybody needs to live up to," said Blake Wheeler. "We’re professionals. We make a lot of money. That’s the code we live by. If you don’t like it then there’s other places you can go. This is the way we do things."

Yeah …

Byfuglien also spoke about Kane.

"I’m sure you have rules in your household," he said, via the Free Press. "And if the kids don’t stick to it, you’ve got to discipline them. It is what it is."

Proverbs 13:24

http://www.thescore.com/news/674418

Coming back around to Winnipeg: The whole “get your clothes soaked when you break dress code” thing wasn’t Dustin Byfuglien going all Richie Incognito and setting a never-before seen precedent. I’ve seen guys whose clothes were transferred from the shower to the freezer for the same infraction.

What normally happens is, the guy who broke the rule knows he broke the rule, he sticks his clothes in the industrial-strength dryer that’s in every pro arena, then stretches, jokes and drinks Gatorade for the extra 15 minutes he’s stuck at the rink.

I personally never cared for this type of teammates-policing-teammates conduct, but it happens.

Knowing locker room culture means the takeaway from Kane’s reaction is an obvious one: his situation was toxic long before he found his clothes soaked after practice.

It’s possible that Kane just believes he’s above that sort or treatment, or that he’s been picked on, or that he’s sensitive to it, but it seems pretty clear Kane wasn’t getting shown a lesson by friends. These guys know his personality, and they knew where their relationships were at, so they had to know what response was coming. I suspect they wanted it.

Nothing speaks to this better than Blake Wheeler’s comments on the situation.

There’s a standard that everyone needs to live up to. We’re professionals, we make a lot of money. And we’re expected to uphold a certain standard. That’s the code we live by.

If you don’t like it then there’s other places to go. This is the way we do things.

There had undoubtedly been enough subtle hints about reforming before they decided to send a “shape up or ship out” message.

The question now is, can it be fixed for the Jets.

Yes and no.

Yes, it can work from a hockey standpoint. The team can hash out their issues, continue to not particularly like each other, and play good hockey on the ice. Dressing room issues can spill over and affect on-ice play to a small degree (maybe looking off a guy on a 2-on-1 where you should pass), but if your team is good enough, it’s probably still good enough.

And no, it can’t work permanently in the dressing room without player turnover. “Hashing this stuff out” is a too-small Band-Aid on a wound that will eventually re-open.

Some of the team leaders have a problem with a prominent player on the team, and that feeling seems mutual. Something has to give, and since Kane is the splinter in the finger, it’s up to GM Kevin Cheveldayoff to play the part of the tweezers, give the guy a fresh start, and let his team start to heal.

Last edited:

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
It'll be interesting to see what they do. They are in the middle of a playoff hunt. We have a few players (and rentals) that could give them immediate help to get in the playoffs.

For sure. Stafford/Stewart can easily take Kane's place on the wing. I wonder how much we would need to add

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If Murray could find a way to get Kane and Fowler by the deadline, that'd be impressive:

Fowler + Etem

for

Myers + Larsson

Followed by...

E. Kane

for

Stafford + Grigorenko + BUF 2nd

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
For sure. Stafford/Stewart can easily take Kane's place on the wing. I wonder how much we would need to add

Before the falling out Kane was viewed as a core piece for that franchise. I'd be very surprised if they would want rentals as the centerpiece of a trade. I think they're going to want pieces that can be part of their future. Not that rentals can;t also be part of a deal. But moving on from a core piece means they need things for the future not just rentals to make the playoffs.

It is incredible that they may lose their 2nd talented youngster (Burmistrov being the other) in the last few years.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Before the falling out Kane was viewed as a core piece for that franchise. I'd be very surprised if they would want rentals as the centerpiece of a trade. I think they're going to want pieces that can be part of their future. Not that rentals can;t also be part of a deal. But moving on from a core piece means they need things for the future not just rentals to make the playoffs.

It is incredible that they may lose their 2nd talented youngster (Burmistrov being the other) in the last few years.

Agreed,

I think to land Kane before the summer, when Winnipeg will have more partners to trade with, it will require close to...if not...an overpayment.

Stafford, Armia, NYI 1st, Baptiste...something like that will be asked for.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Jets fans are saying something along the lines of Stafford, Grigo, and NYI 1st for Kane + conditional based on stafford re-signing. I could probably live with that.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
a ufa is not getting traded for kane

Unfortunatly, the past few days have sent Kane's value sinking like a rock. At this point you are trading for a player that won't play this season, and who has a history of clashing with his current teams. Not only is he unhappy where he is, but the team is unhappy with him as well, including his team-mates. Saw somebody comment in another thread that after his dress code violation his team mates tossed his clothes into the shower.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Only one season over 20 goals.
Public drama due to inability to get along with teammates.
Injury-prone with season ending shoulder surgery.
Rumors he's requested a trade.

Value is at an all-time low.

Let me rephrase it. A sabres UFA. Stafford or Stewart wont be the main piece more like a throw in

There is 15-20 other teams out there bidding too.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Let me rephrase it. A sabres UFA. Stafford or Stewart wont be the main piece more like a throw in

Given the season ending surgery, I would expect the EKane trade market to heat up around the draft.

I would be mildly surprised if he moves before the TDL as most teams won't want to give up anything off their NHL rosters for a guy that is done for the year.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011

Honestly, at that point, why not just give one of our higher end prospects. I really wouldn't mind giving them Grigorenko or Armia in a deal to get Kane. He's an established NHLer, and a good one at that, that will be able to step in for McEichel next year. The guy is exactly what this re-build is missing. Top line talent on the wing.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Given the season ending surgery, I would expect the EKane trade market to heat up around the draft.

I would be mildly surprised if he moves before the TDL as most teams won't want to give up anything off their NHL rosters for a guy that is done for the year.

I'd love to see the sabres make the deal before the TDL. Its a legitimate trade that helps our tank this year, while allowing us to speed up our turnaround after the McEichel draft. We send the Jets Stafford/Stewert+Grigorenko+ a Pick. That gives them a Decent patch to help them for the rest of the season, a talented prospect, and a pick. That's about as good a value as they can hope for in this situation.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd love to see the sabres make the deal before the TDL. Its a legitimate trade that helps our tank this year, while allowing us to speed up our turnaround after the McEichel draft. We send the Jets Stafford/Stewert+Grigorenko+ a Pick. That gives them a Decent patch to help them for the rest of the season, a talented prospect, and a pick. That's about as good a value as they can hope for in this situation.

Most GMs would rather wait and get a market for a player than make a move quickly.

Also, with Winnipeg sitting in a wildcard spot, they may want more immediate help than Stafford or Stewart to make the move today.

ZeroPT*

a ufa is not getting traded for kane

That's why I called it an HF trade proposal. I don't mind trading for immature little ***** but not until you get respect as a team.

Kane wouldn't pull this **** in LA,CHI,NSH or other contenders. When we get to that point we can get a headcase with talent. Until then? Rather go with #kumpeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad