Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Most GMs would rather wait and get a market for a player than make a move quickly.

Also, with Winnipeg sitting in a wildcard spot, they may want more immediate help than Stafford or Stewart to make the move today.

I think Stafford is likely a guy that they would take in this situation. There have been rumors that the Jets were interested in him the past few years, additionally, which other teams will likely be willing to trade NHL talent that can play in the top 6 mid season for a return that won't see the ice this year? Add onto that the fact that we are also tossing in one of our better prospects and a high pick, I don't see it taking too much tweaking for the Jets FO to say yes.

wheelklown

Dec 19, 2014
Batavia, NY
As mentioned elswhere but more appropriate here, I think one of Stewart/Stafford has to go back to replace Kane on the RW, one of NYI/STL 1st or Buf2nd and a prospect that Murray doesnt see fitting the mold going forward, Larsson?

Player, prospect, pick. I think thats a good trade for both sides, might have to upgrade the prospect but I dont think that would slow down this deal, ie Grigorenko as others have mentioned (who I dont want to lose but in this deal Id do it).

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
is there a trade to be made to acquire Yandle/Vermette/Hanzal for picks and prospects then package that and Stewart for Kane? like the Drury deal

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think Stafford is likely a guy that they would take in this situation. There have been rumors that the Jets were interested in him the past few years, additionally, which other teams will likely be willing to trade NHL talent that can play in the top 6 mid season for a return that won't see the ice this year? Add onto that the fact that we are also tossing in one of our better prospects and a high pick, I don't see it taking too much tweaking for the Jets FO to say yes.

It still gets back to whether the Jets GM feels pressure to move Kane now, when the number of teams that will be calling will be down to the injury, or not.

Once we get to the off season, the interest in Kane might get a lot better.

Plus, the Jets have to look beyond just this season when moving a guy as young as Kane. And it's far from a given that Grigorenko turns into anything close to what Kane has brought to the Jets in the past or what could be expected of him moving forward.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
It still gets back to whether the Jets GM feels pressure to move Kane now, when the number of teams that will be calling will be down to the injury, or not.

Once we get to the off season, the interest in Kane might get a lot better.

Plus, the Jets have to look beyond just this season when moving a guy as young as Kane. And it's far from a given that Grigorenko turns into anything close to what Kane has brought to the Jets in the past or what could be expected of him moving forward.

The surgery he is getting has a pretty long recovery process, with some people saying he won't be back to 100% until about midway through next season. If this is true, along with the rumors about unhappyness between both Kane and the Jets as a whole, why not try and at least save your season by trying to get a Patch for this year, along with a good prospect and a pick that will help in the future. If I'm the Jets GM, that's what I'm thinking right now. Additionally, a few Jets fans have said that Stafford + Grigo + NYI 1st would get it done in their oppinion, and that they'd be willing to toss in a conditional pick conditioned on if stafford re-signs.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The surgery he is getting has a pretty long recovery process, with some people saying he won't be back to 100% until about midway through next season. If this is true, along with the rumors about unhappyness between both Kane and the Jets as a whole, why not try and at least save your season by trying to get a Patch for this year, along with a good prospect and a pick that will help in the future. If I'm the Jets GM, that's what I'm thinking right now. Additionally, a few Jets fans have said that Stafford + Grigo + NYI 1st would get it done in their oppinion, and that they'd be willing to toss in a conditional pick conditioned on if stafford re-signs.

I doubt Murray, or any GM, ponies up a huge offer for Kane before the deadline.

There won't be a ton of competition to trade for him and there is the huge unknown of how his rehab is going.

I would look to move assets like Grigorenko and the NYI 1st is other moves than for Kane.

Heck, with the Avs season in the tank, I'd ask Roy what he thought of Grigo + NYI 1st for ROR.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Does Kane's possible attitude issues scare anyone here away from pursuit of his services?

Well, as long as he stops punching cab drivers :sarcasm:

In all seriousness...I don't think we have enough info. It does say alot that the team captain basically came out and threw him under the bus like that, that scares me alot more than any of the media reports or the instagram pictures of him holding the bricks of $$.

But, sometimes, a change of scenery does players wonders. Though, I doubt the Buffalo media would be any kinder to Kane than the Winnipeg media is. The talent is certainly undeniable and his size is severely lacking in our lineup.

Given the culture change the team is trying to evoke starting next year....would it be wise to bring someone with a checkered past around our 19-20 year olds? Murray showed little hesitation brining in Stewart and his attitude problems were also well documented. That being said, it's been known for a while that this year was going to be a throw away season and Stewart doesn't have nearly the pedigree that Kane has.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Does Kane's possible attitude issues scare anyone here away from pursuit of his services?

Not me. Decent price.. sign me up. He's been unhappy there for years.. he needs to grow up some still but.. I'll take the rough edges

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 4h4 hours ago

#NHLJets Mark Stuart was asked if team would welcome Evander Kane back if he was healthy? "Absolutely."

and..

Mark Stuart to media scrum " not trying to insult you guys but you really don't know what goes on in here"

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Absolutely. It's not just about team moral either. At some point a guy with an attitude problem affects his own productivity with the team. Kane is not his teammates' worst enemy...he's his own worst enemy. I don't want a guy that should be 30-30-60 being a 20-30-50 guy that doesn't do anything else on the ice. I truly feel Stafford would be a better player over the next 3-4 seasons.

Also, the shoulder injury can't be taken lightly. Sure, it helps the tank and whatever. But...is a guy with an attitude problem going to rehab hard for 6-8 months and come back with a passion to be better, or is he going to get out of shape and come back a healthier but worse player that needs a whole other season to get in gear?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

I look at Kane with our projected centers and see no reason to think he wont be at least a perennial 50-55pnt player who isn't a defensive liability, so even if his attitude is so bad we don't keep him, there will always be someone who says "I can live with that" and will give us back return on the gamble, I dont see a boom or bust risk here

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
With Mckenzie reporting that Lundquist is out likely 4-6 weeks for the NYR you have to think a call will be placed to Murray about Enroth. Wonder what return he would want? Simply a 2nd or a prospect (Duclair:laugh: )

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I had to turn him off when he said Murray won't be looking to pick up a player now, even if he doesn't play till next year. He is to focused on getting 2nd and 3rd picks for Stewart, etc. As if those things are mutually exclusive, ugh.:shakehead

Yeah, that didn't make any sense to me either.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
How is John Shannon of SPORTSNET somehow a Buffalo expert? That's right. He isn't.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
If Kane is traded before the deadline it will be one of a handful of teams: Buffalo, Edmonton, Carolina, Arizona, Toronto, New Jersey, etc.

If Kane is traded at the draft, it will be to one of thirty teams.

You can only ride out your draft position for so long, he won't be be traded for several high-end assets.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
As mentioned elswhere but more appropriate here, I think one of Stewart/Stafford has to go back to replace Kane on the RW, one of NYI/STL 1st or Buf2nd and a prospect that Murray doesnt see fitting the mold going forward, Larsson?

Player, prospect, pick. I think thats a good trade for both sides, might have to upgrade the prospect but I dont think that would slow down this deal, ie Grigorenko as others have mentioned (who I dont want to lose but in this deal Id do it).

As a Jet fan I would do that deal. Kane will be as good as new next yr with something to prove. I think that we make the best trade partners, with you being deep in prospects and picks.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

He is going in tomorrow recovery is 6 to 8 months, so July or Sept where do you get my way to next season.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

If Kane is traded before the deadline it will be one of a handful of teams: Buffalo, Edmonton, Carolina, Arizona, Toronto, New Jersey, etc.

If Kane is traded at the draft, it will be to one of thirty teams.

You can only ride out your draft position for so long, he won't be be traded for several high-end assets.

We have more assets than basically any of the teams you mentioned.

Edmonton have nothing they'd pay for Kane that Winnipeg would actually want. Apart from Pitt's 1 maybe.
Carolina? who do they trade? Skinner? Lindholm? meh.
Arizona is in no position to trade for Kane. They're starting the rebuild
Toronto has assets but it doesn't really make sense for them. They don't need another winger.
New Jersey has no assets apart from Gelinas and some decent prospects like Quenville and Matteau

No team has the ability to put a combination of future/present package like Buffalo. If we trade for Kane I'd love to somehow include Burmistrov in the deal. He'd be a fantastic addition.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Well, as long as he stops punching cab drivers :sarcasm:

In all seriousness...I don't think we have enough info. It does say alot that the team captain basically came out and threw him under the bus like that, that scares me alot more than any of the media reports or the instagram pictures of him holding the bricks of $$.

But, sometimes, a change of scenery does players wonders. Though, I doubt the Buffalo media would be any kinder to Kane than the Winnipeg media is. The talent is certainly undeniable and his size is severely lacking in our lineup.

Given the culture change the team is trying to evoke starting next year....would it be wise to bring someone with a checkered past around our 19-20 year olds? Murray showed little hesitation brining in Stewart and his attitude problems were also well documented. That being said, it's been known for a while that this year was going to be a throw away season and Stewart doesn't have nearly the pedigree that Kane has.
Wrong Kane punching cab driver that would be the one that plays for hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille