Roster Speculation – 2015-16 – Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Would Anaheim be a good target? Maybe not until next offseason, but they are deep with skilled LD's and may run into cap problems.

Could Fowler or Vatanen be an option next offseason?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Would Anaheim be a good target? Maybe not until next offseason, but they are deep with skilled LD's and may run into cap problems.

Could Fowler or Vatanen be an option next offseason?

Next offseason they may be a great target with Vatanen, Lindolm and Depres contracts expiring next summer. They will all be RFAs. Not sure if any of them have arbitration rights. But all three should be up for good size raises from their ELCs or low paying bridge deals. They all make around 1mil give or take 200k

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Anaheim is one of the reasons I've been saying to look at 2016 RFAs. Unfortunately even with Kesler's contract they're probably the best cap structured team in the league. They need to re-sign 3 defensemen and will have to acquire a few forwards next off season but they'll have $20+ Million to do it. I think Vatanen likely gets dealt not because of a raise but to make room.

Fables

Apr 27, 2015
Three out of four

Anaheim is one of the reasons I've been saying to look at 2016 RFAs. Unfortunately even with Kesler's contract they're probably the best cap structured team in the league. They need to re-sign 3 defensemen and will have to acquire a few forwards next off season but they'll have $20+ Million to do it. I think Vatanen likely gets dealt not because of a raise but to make room.

HI

Being a fan from Finland I follow closely both Anaheim and Buffalo... thanks to Vatanen and Ristolainen.

Anaheim seems to prefer a stay at home type of defender playing with a mobile (younger) guy who is good at joining the rush. Now their have Bieksa, Stoner and Fowler (though he's a mobile type as well) playing the stay an home role while Vatanen, Lindholm and Depres are being the offensive guys. And they just signed Josh Manson for the 7th defender who should be able to fill in nicely if somebody is injured. And they soon need to re-sign all their young defenders while they have also Shea Theodore as a mobile defender who is getting close to being NHL-ready. So Anaheim should be a very good trading partner to get a young defender who is already or almost NHL-ready.

I really hope Buffalo will have great season though I think they won't yet make the play-offs this year. But this will the last time they miss it before this team is really starting it's rise towards being a SC contender every year.

And if the Sabres miss the playoffs this season I hope they will be able to get young top four defender via trade during the season and get lucky in draft lottery.... and then sign Jesse Puljujärvi to play with Jack Eichel for the next 10-15 years.

Then I can watch RR and Puljujärvi win several SC's together over the next years.... It's a slow summer so it's a good time to come up with dreams like this.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
HI

Being a fan from Finland I follow closely both Anaheim and Buffalo... thanks to Vatanen and Ristolainen.

Anaheim seems to prefer a stay at home type of defender playing with a mobile (younger) guy who is good at joining the rush. Now their have Bieksa, Stoner and Fowler (though he's a mobile type as well) playing the stay an home role while Vatanen, Lindholm and Depres are being the offensive guys. And they just signed Josh Manson for the 7th defender who should be able to fill in nicely if somebody is injured. And they soon need to re-sign all their young defenders while they have also Shea Theodore as a mobile defender who is getting close to being NHL-ready. So Anaheim should be a very good trading partner to get a young defender who is already or almost NHL-ready.

I really hope Buffalo will have great season though I think they won't yet make the play-offs this year. But this will the last time they miss it before this team is really starting it's rise towards being a SC contender every year.

And if the Sabres miss the playoffs this season I hope they will be able to get young top four defender via trade during the season and get lucky in draft lottery.... and then sign Jesse Puljujärvi to play with Jack Eichel for the next 10-15 years.

Then I can watch RR and Puljujärvi win several SC's together over the next years.... It's a slow summer so it's a good time to come up with dreams like this.

Welcome to the boards!

As for next year's lottery, if we get lucky, I'd much rather have Chychrun. We are pretty set at forward now. But if we get, say, third, and Chychrun goes 2nd, I could see us trading Reinhart or Ennis+ for a defenseman and taking Puljujarvi then.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Right now they are decent in terms of cap. Lets see what happens come 2017.

They have 2 RFAs in Silfverberg and Hagelin. How much do they get signed for?

Next year they have 5 RFAs. A couple of their Dmen getting long contracts. As for their 2016 UFAs---they have a couple prospects who could take a few of those spots.

Next year they will likely need to decide on a goalie to sign long term. The other likely traded.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Gotta think Rangers could be target now.

Seems like Rangers fans are happy with that deal and believe they still have room to make another signing:

400k room with 23 players on the roster including Menga (600k), Glass (1.45), Diaz (700k) and McIlrath (600k)

room to move and make additional moves

Doesn't sound at all like they believe they have to dump a salary going forward.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Seems like Rangers fans are happy with that deal and believe they still have room to make another signing:

Doesn't sound at all like they believe they have to dump a salary going forward.

Yea, it looks like they have a packed roster, and the only players they can move to waivers, would clear such little space that it would be pointless (replacements would cost the same or more).

I'd guess that Kevin Klein is the most likely to be moved if they need to create space. Klein doesn't have any restrictions on being traded. Keeping their top 4 of:
Girardi-McDonagh
Staal-Yandle

But really... they need to think longer term (move Staal somehow?). They've got a barage of Core/Key RFA next year (Kreider, Hayes, Miller, Etem). They could probably move Zuccarelo.

McDonagh is hilariously underpaid...

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

They have less then a mil in space and only 12 forwards on the roster. Someone has to move

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-teams-waiting-on-cody-franson-195830601.html

But again, there are teams trying to figure out how they can make it work, even at this late date. Someone is going to sign him; he probably won't end up as a training-camp invitee unlike some other veterans who are still kicking around the free agent market. This isn't a situation where he's going to become Anton Stralman, who went from “He's a fancy-stats darling who can't get a multi-year deal†to “We in the Hockey World collectively and universally agree that this guy is very impressive,†in short order. But he's certainly a slight step below that, and there's still a lot of value there as a consequence.

Whoever does end up signing him might want to consider the benefits of locking him up for three or four years at whatever reasonable dollar figure they can make work. If he's willing to give up AAV for term, they'd be locking in a mega-bargain middle-pairing defenseman. Anything in the neighborhood of $3.5 million would be a steal.

I'd sign up for 3 yrs $4M per for Franson right now.

I also wonder how much of the hold up is Franson wanting to go to a team that was a playoff team last year.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

based on NHL numbers they have:

Nash, Stephan, brassard
Zuc, Hayes, Kreider
Moore, Glass, Stahlberg
Fast, Miler, Etem
Adam , gibbons

With only about $400K in cap space. Sure Adam/Gibbons could be sent down and clear waivers.

I don't see how they can make another move without trading out significant salary.

wayfaringstranger

Mar 31, 2009
Rochester
2016 2nd Round Pick

Help me out, I keep seeing Buf 2nd round pick in '16 tossed around in proposals on the Trade board and Sabres board...didn't we give that pick up in the Gorges trade?

Fables

Apr 27, 2015
Welcome to the boards!

As for next year's lottery, if we get lucky, I'd much rather have Chychrun. We are pretty set at forward now. But if we get, say, third, and Chychrun goes 2nd, I could see us trading Reinhart or Ennis+ for a defenseman and taking Puljujarvi then.

I agree that Chychrun would make more sense with the current roster and I would be very happy to see him in Sabres colors.

But when I was a kid I loved watching Jari Kurri playing with Gretzky and wouldn't mind seeing similar scenario with Eichel and Puljujarvi.... But a lot will happen before the 2016 draft so I guess it's really too early to make too many assumptions.

Generally I'm just very excited about the next season to see what the "new" Sabres can really do.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Help me out, I keep seeing Buf 2nd round pick in '16 tossed around in proposals on the Trade board and Sabres board...didn't we give that pick up in the Gorges trade?

We have:

2016:

BUF 1st
BUF 2nd
MIN 2nd---this was acquired in the Moulson deadline trade--then traded to MTL for Gorges
BUF 3rd
NYI/VAN 3rd--acquired with Johnson in Neuvirth trade---went to Pittsburgh as compensation for hiring the coach (this pick was traded to Vancouver as part of the Sutter deal)
DAL 3rd--acquired for trading Enrtoh last deadline
STL 3rd--acquired as part of the Miller/Ott trade
BUF 4th
BUF 5th
MTL 5th---acquired for Flynn last deadline
BUF 6th
BUF 7th
MTL 7th--acquired for Torrey Mitchell last deadline

BUF 1st
BUF 2nd
MIN 2nd---acquired for Stewart
BUF 3rd