Roster Speculation – 2015-16 – Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Yes and power play looked wayyyyy better

Yeah maybe better than their stretch of zero for 25, or whatever it was, doesn't make Ennis a good point man. I'm confident that Risto, Pysyk, and Bogo would all be better suited.

Ennis thrives down low, behind the net and on the half wall. I think that'd work great with two trigger men like Kane and Eichel who can also drive possession.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah maybe better than their stretch of zero for 25, or whatever it was, doesn't make Ennis a good point man. I'm confident that Risto, Pysyk, and Bogo would all be better suited.

Ennis thrives down low, behind the net and on the half wall. I think that'd work great with two trigger men like Kane and Eichel who can also drive possession.

The point was earlier in the thread someone said he never played there. Or that he would be terrible if he did. The reality was he did play the point on the PP and was very effective. Had very good chemistry with Risto.

Not really sure what ROR and Kane's ES possession skills have to do with the PP. Two different things.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The point was earlier in the thread someone said he never played there. Or that he would be terrible if he did. The reality was he did play the point on the PP and was very effective. Had very good chemistry with Risto.

Not really sure what ROR and Kane's ES possession skills have to do with the PP. Two different things.

I asked.

Am I missing something? Has Ennis played the point at all? Why would we want him there?

I don't think Ennis' skill translates to the point at all, and I don't think we'd be getting the most out of him in that spot.

But I'd like to go back and look at a few games, which games should I rewatch?

John Scott played the PP under Nolan too... looked ok in front of the net for a few shifts.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I think the PP lines will somewhat depend on what kind of PP Bylsma wants to play. If he prefers a traditional style PP we will most certainly use two defensemen on the blue line. If instead he prefers an umbrella style I can see us playing four forwards with a single defensemen on the point.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ennis is fine on the point on the PP, but he's not ideal. The reason there was such an improvement when he moved there was because for the first time all year, there were two competent puck handlers on the blue line. Prior to the move, at least one of our pointmen handled the puck like a hot potato, knowing they were the last man back. With Ennis back there, he could competently shift into a better position if he was pressured, and if he wasn't, he had time to make a good play. If someone like Gorges was back there getting pressured, he was just trying to move the puck before he screwed up.

I liked what Canada did with Ennis in the Worlds, playing him in the high slot. It was an interesting look that allowed him to get the puck and move it quickly when the defense collapsed on him, which opened up time and space for the pointmen and wingers. Of course, for that to work with us, we need another competent defenseman or two. Without that, might as well stick Ennis back on the point.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Ennis is fine on the point on the PP, but he's not ideal. The reason there was such an improvement when he moved there was because for the first time all year, there were two competent puck handlers on the blue line. Prior to the move, at least one of our pointmen handled the puck like a hot potato, knowing they were the last man back. With Ennis back there, he could competently shift into a better position if he was pressured, and if he wasn't, he had time to make a good play. If someone like Gorges was back there getting pressured, he was just trying to move the puck before he screwed up.

I liked what Canada did with Ennis in the Worlds, playing him in the high slot. It was an interesting look that allowed him to get the puck and move it quickly when the defense collapsed on him, which opened up time and space for the pointmen and wingers. Of course, for that to work with us, we need another competent defenseman or two. Without that, might as well stick Ennis back on the point.

Or you shift the focus of your PP possession to your half wall guys. I'm assuming Eichel and Ennis will be the key guys for the PP's.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Are there any armchair GM's out there who don't share our real GM's aversion to having Russians on the team?

Any interest in a 33 yo left shooting defensemen?

A one or two year deal would be great. He could turn out to be an asset worth keeping or just be a bridge until McCabe can take a larger role.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
In coming years I think the exodus from KHL will be a real pool for talent in a league with team-friendly free agency

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
So with there being virtually no moves done the next two weeks I hope that we can acquire a vet D by the last week of August so they can get a full TC with the team.

And a random thought, With Kane's arrest we can shut the book on the notion that he is worth more then Eichel and/or the Sabres would/should have traded #2 for Kane. Even without this incident that wasn't true.

ZemgsG

Feb 26, 2009
Heh I used to have this Nikulin guy years back in the Eastside Hockey Manager as depth defenseman to Sabres.

Someone mentioned on the main board that this is not the first time he has used the NHL card in middle of contract negotiations. Sure times are different now. Nevertheless we would have the need and the money to have him.

Big frame guy with some hands and so what if his speed has regressed. If he can adjust to smaller ice he could be useful to us.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I think the PP lines will somewhat depend on what kind of PP Bylsma wants to play. If he prefers a traditional style PP we will most certainly use two defensemen on the blue line. If instead he prefers an umbrella style I can see us playing four forwards with a single defensemen on the point.
Eichel on the BU PP worked the half wall and the point. I don't think he was officially ever lined up at the point (he'd take the face-offs at center), but he and the dman would swap around. He would generally work the left side of the ice, but you'd also see him drift to the right side at times.

I thought I saw glimpses of this on the USA teams PP as well.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Eichel on the BU PP worked the half wall and the point. I don't think he was officially ever lined up at the point (he'd take the face-offs at center), but he and the dman would swap around. He would generally work the left side of the ice, but you'd also see him drift to the right side at times.

I thought I saw glimpses of this on the USA teams PP as well.

I seem to recall that too. It's a big responsibility for a young kid, but it's not overwhelming. To make a comparison: In 2011-12, Brynäs had one of the best PP:s in the NHL. And it was directed from the point and half boards by then 19 year old Calle Järnkrok.

Now, SHL and NHL aren't the same, obviously, but neither are Järnkrok and Eichel, and a kid with Eichel's hockey IQ could play that role. (And isn't that what Ennis did late last year?) I think Reinhart could play a similar role too, but does he have the shot? If we're going to have a guy moving between half board and point, setting up the plays, I want it to be someone who can both pass and shoot. Otherwise it's just too predictable.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
We now have the forward talent to run a proper umbrella or box plus one. We don't need to simply run an overload in the hopes that puck movement opens up even more space and exploits the extra man. We have guys who can fill holes and voids and draw a killer towards them under the notion that - if they're left untouched - they can drive right to the net unabated and take a shot that has a realistic chance of going in upon first release.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Whichever PP they are going to run, for the love of Jebus, move your damn feet and move your guys to more than two areas during said PP.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
So with there being virtually no moves done the next two weeks I hope that we can acquire a vet D by the last week of August so they can get a full TC with the team.

And a random thought, With Kane's arrest we can shut the book on the notion that he is worth more then Eichel and/or the Sabres would/should have traded #2 for Kane. Even without this incident that wasn't true.

Don't bank on adding anyone until the end of camp

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Don't bank on adding anyone until the end of camp

Agreed. When they had to give up Zadorov, I think Murray and Bylsma initially felt they needed to add a top 4 LHD to balance out their depth. However, after development camp and the impressive showing McCabe had, I suspect that they now will wait to see if he can win a job outright in training camp and prove he won't need more AHL time before deciding whether or not to bring someone else in from the outside - in which case trading for a LHD won't be as urgent or necessary.

Since there are no expectations of being a contender this year and there will be lots of learning curves for young guys like Eichel and Reinhart, or transitions for new faces like Kane, O'Reilly, McGinn and Lehner to get used to their surroundings/roles, I have no problem with the Sabres letting McCabe learn on the fly in a top 6 NHL spot. Colaiacovo is there as insurance whenever McCabe may falter or need to step back.

Like others noted, if the team is in playoff contention at the deadline or makes the kinds of improvement most of us expect this season, next summer is just as good a time to bring in an experienced top 4 defenseman if it doesn't work out with McCabe or having Pysyk/Ristolainen play out of position.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Interesting reading Jame go 1-on-Anaheim fanbase on the trade board.

Makes me happy Tim Murray is the GM, believes in analytics and says so, and most of the fanbase here gets it.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Interesting reading Jame go 1-on-Anaheim fanbase on the trade board.

Makes me happy Tim Murray is the GM, believes in analytics and says so, and most of the fanbase here gets it.

Bunch of people who want us to believe their 'expert' analysis, yet their analysis has no consistency and they're shown to be wrong frequently, at least with advanced stats there's a concrete number to discuss, if you want to argue what the number means that's fine, but I'm sick of the HF rabble that think they're brilliant hockey scouts because they saw a CHL game once

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Agreed. When they had to give up Zadorov, I think Murray and Bylsma initially felt they needed to add a top 4 LHD to balance out their depth. However, after development camp and the impressive showing McCabe had, I suspect that they now will wait to see if he can win a job outright in training camp and prove he won't need more AHL time before deciding whether or not to bring someone else in from the outside - in which case trading for a LHD won't be as urgent or necessary.

I'm thinking differently here. I don't think development camp (McCabe) changed Murray's mind in regards to wanting to add a LHD. We know he made offers to UFAs before Oduya and offers to Oduya. He may be in on RHD Franson.

I think Murray will continue to monitor possible LHD that may become available through training camp. He is not desperate and probably content with starting the season as is, if the right player does not become available. I think he has McCabe penciled in for Rochester.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Bunch of people who want us to believe their 'expert' analysis, yet their analysis has no consistency and they're shown to be wrong frequently, at least with advanced stats there's a concrete number to discuss, if you want to argue what the number means that's fine, but I'm sick of the HF rabble that think they're brilliant hockey scouts because they saw a CHL game once

Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad