Roster Speculation – 2015-16 – Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Devils fans seem to want something akin to what TM is seeking -- young, NHL ready guys.

That said, I'd do Bailey or Baptise plus a 3rd or so for Gelinas.

Wouldn't do Fasching.

I don't think it would matter whether or not they are NHL ready. NJ isn't competing for anything this year. They need to get a hold of some youth at forward, NHL ready or not. For me, Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching are equals, however, TM did give up a lot to get his guy, so he probably agrees with you. I'm just not real familiar with Gelinas and if he can be a top 4.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
How about these for lines:

Kane O'Reilly Reinhart
Moulson Eichel Ennis
Larsson Girgensons McGinn/Gionta
Foligno Legwand McGinn/Gionta

Deslauriers
McCormick

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If we are unable to acquire a legit top 4 LHD before the season, any interest in Scuderi? He's up there in age and has lost a step and is more suited on the bottom pairing but on the plus side he would cost virtually nothing and he is at least better then Cola, Donovan, Weber etc. Probably my last option for a vet dman but he would definitely be in our top 6.

Kane O'Reilly Reinhart
Moulson Eichel Ennis

Deslauriers
McCormick

Woodhouse posted that possible lineup in the main board Eichel thread and I have to agree it's the best one. Eichel is insulated on the 2nd line and has a finisher in Moulson who can return to 30 goal form and also Ennis who can keep up with Eichel and create some offense. Risky having Reinhart on the top line as a rookie but he'll be playing with our 2 most talented (besides Jack) forwards. That third line is very nice and has 3 guys all capable of 15-20 goals each. And our fourth line is nice too. I gotta say this team may surprise us in the goals for department. I would not be shocked if they ended up in the top 10 for GF. At the very least we will possess 5 if not 6 20+ goal scorers (locks: Ennis, RoR, Kane, Eichel. Good chance: Girgensons, Moulson outside shot : McGinn, Reinhart). Not saying all the guys I listed will score 20, just that in any given year that those are the guys capable of putting that up.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY

Kane O'Reilly Reinhart
Moulson Eichel Ennis

Deslauriers
McCormick

Mine are very similar except my second line is Girgs-Eichel-Ennis, with Larsson at 3C and Moulson at 3LW. I also might prefer Schaller or another home grown kid at 4C to Legwand at some point in the season.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/39118/who-is-the-sabres-most-important-player

Most Important Player: Ryan O'Reilly, Center

O’Reilly figures to slot in as the team’s first-line center, a critical role not only as a catalyst to an offense that was downright anemic las season (the Sabres ranked dead last in offense with 1.87 goals per game), but also to allow a player like Eichel the proper time to develop. O’Reilly already has six years of NHL experience and is known for his sound defensive abilities. He can draw the tougher defensive matchups while Eichel acclimates to the NHL game.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's really too bad things ended the way they did with Ehrhoff. Portzline reports today that CBJ's offer is well below the 1yr/$4m deal he had last year with Pittsburgh, but Ehrhoff is still hoping for something closer to what he earned last season. In other words, he could be had for a relative pittance, and we have oodles of cap space. It's pretty clear that Murray has no desire for a reunion notwithstanding the gaping hole we have on the left side of our defense.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
It's really too bad things ended the way they did with Ehrhoff. Portzline reports today that CBJ's offer is well below the 1yr/$4m deal he had last year with Pittsburgh, but Ehrhoff is still hoping for something closer to what he earned last season. In other words, he could be had for a relative pittance, and we have oodles of cap space. It's pretty clear that Murray has no desire for a reunion notwithstanding the gaping hole we have on the left side of our defense.

Was just thinking this when reading the pitiful offers on the trade thread on the main board

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Can you blame anyone (besides Darcy)? Pegula is paying Ehrhoff millions to not be here. There is no way to justify giving him salary on top of what we are already paying him. If he took league minimum to come back here, Terry would be paying him too much.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Can you blame anyone (besides Darcy)? Pegula is paying Ehrhoff millions to not be here. There is no way to justify giving him salary on top of what we are already paying him. If he took league minimum to come back here, Terry would be paying him too much.

uh yea, we can blame Ehrhoff

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
just curious, do you guys see Foligno becoming available, given all young forwards in the system?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
just curious, do you guys see Foligno becoming available, given all young forwards in the system?

It's possible, especially given some of the "redundant" talent in the system (ie, Fasching and Carrier both seem to me that they could provide what Foligno does...possibly one of Baptiste or Bailey).

He wouldn't be a "trade for the sake of trade" guy. He'd only be used as a part of a bigger trade to get us something of need (right now, top 4 LHD around Foligno's age).

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Mine are very similar except my second line is Girgs-Eichel-Ennis, with Larsson at 3C and Moulson at 3LW. I also might prefer Schaller or another home grown kid at 4C to Legwand at some point in the season.

I would prefer to have Moulson on that 2nd line with Eichel and Ennis, where he can have a lot of opportunities as a finisher and at clean up goals. I think he would get a better lift from being from being with those guys than Girgs would. Although I absolutely believe Girgs is already a quality top six guy at this point in his career.

I think Girgensons will definitely transition into a top six role at some point, but to start the season I would like to see him as that dominant 3rd line, two way center. Then I think you throw Larsson on the wing and he can be a beast along the boards and add some offense as well.

I think the Girgensons 3rd line center scenario gives us the best possible balance and allows the forwards talents to compliment their linemates well.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If Ehrhoff turns down the Columbus offer, why would he sign here?

Imo the only thing stopping Murray from offering the oduya deal to him is their history.

With our need and his ability it would be perfect to give him 3 years around 4 a year. Perfect stopgap and a quality depth vet as risto and bogo lead.

I wonder how much Ehrhoff doesn't want to come back might play in.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I would prefer to have Moulson on that 2nd line with Eichel and Ennis, where he can have a lot of opportunities as a finisher and at clean up goals. I think he would get a better lift from being from being with those guys than Girgs would. Although I absolutely believe Girgs is already a quality top six guy at this point in his career.

I think Girgensons will definitely transition into a top six role at some point, but to start the season I would like to see him as that dominant 3rd line, two way center. Then I think you throw Larsson on the wing and he can be a beast along the boards and add some offense as well.

I think the Girgensons 3rd line center scenario gives us the best possible balance and allows the forwards talents to compliment their linemates well.

I think the only change I would do is Girgs at wing and Larsson at Center. I think Larsson's value to the team is at center. That's where I think he is most useful. Girgensons I think is equal on the wing and at Center.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Not hard to come to that conclusion - almost all of us who clamored for O'Reilly to be traded for did so because of the reasons cited in the blog.

I also thought his off-ice training habits and dedication to winning were crucial to continuing the culture change in the Sabres' locker room - which is why his DUI really undermined his stated desire to take on more of a leadership and role model part with Buffalo.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
which is why his DUI really undermined his stated desire to take on more of a leadership and role model part with Buffalo.

No it won't.

95% of the guys in the room won't care that he got a DUI. I think they'll understand that he made a mistake.

Now, if he goes all Sheldon Richardson, THAT will undermine his desire to be a leader.

But I really don't think the DUI matters in the locker room. It matters more from a PR perspective.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY

I would bet that Moulson gets heavy top 6 time, being a proven veteran, but he just strikes me as an anchor, and not the good kind. I'd prefer if he were limited to a 3rd line offensive zone role, with PP time. I don't want him being relied upon for defense at all.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I would bet that Moulson gets heavy top 6 time, being a proven veteran, but he just strikes me as an anchor, and not the good kind. I'd prefer if he were limited to a 3rd line offensive zone role, with PP time. I don't want him being relied upon for defense at all.

yup.

Leone

Aug 3, 2015
Hallo from Germany

I'm new here in the forum . For about 10 years I have been following the Buffalo Sabres and am finally back in good spirits that it works this year with the playoffs.
Of course, I was pleased to hear Jack Eichel in Draft and he is also our # 1C , but for next season I would not have any miracles from him expect , so I see him as rather early in the season in the third line together with McGinn / Moulson and Gionta .

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

Moulson will get heavy top 6 time because his skill set does not equate to a third line role. He doesn't play defense, or win puck battles along the boards. He has to be with line mates that will give him the puck in scoring areas, where he is at his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad