Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No, I'm suggesting that if you're not a perennial powerhouse, and the Islanders never were, you don't keep doubling down on the same players just so you can "make the playoffs". Lou resigned Anders Lee and gave him a NTC, Lou resigned Matt Barzal and gave him an NTC, Lou signed JGP and gave him an NTC, Lou resigned Ryan Pulock and gave him an NTC, Lou resigned Adam Pelech and gave him an NTC, Lou resigned Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Martin and Casey Cizikas. Lou has had multiple opportunities to make changes. He decided to stay with what he had and the results are as you see them. Do you think the lineup would look the same if Kelly McCrimmon were the GM of the Islanders? This started as a discussion about Lou's "loyalty". I call it pig-headedness and lazy, and I think it's a liability.
You contradict yourself right from the start. If you are not a perennial powerhouse, you can't attract free agents nor get your own players to stay without NTCs. That's why they are the norm, not the exception.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
You contradict yourself right from the start. If you are not a perennial powerhouse, you can't attract free agents nor get your own players to stay without NTCs. That's why they are the norm, not the exception.
So if I understand you correctly, your position is that Lou was forced by circumstance (that of not being a perennial powerhouse) to offer those contracts because no one else was available to this franchise. .Do I have that right? If that is the case then it's time to close up shop right now.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I understand that, but when the contract is already an overpay and the asset is not easily moved even without it and then you add that little extra it doesn't help.
Maybe the player doesn’t sign w/o one. Now, you are down the acquiring assets and have to cover in the market. The latter being the reason you made the trade in the first place.

Reactions: Potvottier

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Kulikov, Stetcher, de Haan, Johnson, Benoit, Lyabushkin, Englund - just to name a few. All signed cheap, short deals and give you the equivalent on-ice performance that Mayfield has this season.

The other question that needs to be asked would those guys have signed here? I don’t think DeHaan was going to come back. The rest I don’t know, but sadly Long Island isn’t a free agent destination.

Did you see how easy it was to find Mike Reilly? That’s how you find a replacement for Mayfield.
Was it really? Reilly was only available due to Florida having two d men return from injury causing a roster crunch. In addition to that the isles had a roster spot open up due to injury.

Without that injury no way Reilly is picked up and does Reilly come to LI if he has a choice?

I’m not Mayfield’s agent, but I just try to keep a level head here, no player is as bad at their worst stretch(outside of 2023 Josh Bailey he was awful), and no player as good as his best stretch. I think there is more to Mayfield’s decline than him breaking down at 31.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Exactly this. We’ve fallen in love with players for what they did years ago, not for what they are doing now. Mayfield is just one of a couple on the backend that fall under this category. The identity line is another. It should have put everyone on notice that a waiver wire pickup and a guy traded for a 7th round pick played at a better level or similar to these core guys. Even Maclean came up and has looked better then a lot of our players. We can’t be afraid of change.
better idea: remove the entire 4th line save for MacLean and Cizikas

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
Every GM has said at some point in their tenure that they just need to get into the playoffs. That's the key to a successful regular season. Making the PO's.

So why should us fans that cheer for the team, feel like we are losers, if we say the same thing? That is what fans do. Cheer for their team.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Realistically, there are not many here now that feel this team is close. The big question, with all the term contracts and tight cap, realistically, can it be fixed while the main core is still under 30?

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Realistically, there are not many here now that feel this team is close. The big question, with all the term contracts and tight cap, realistically, can it be fixed while the main core is still under 30?
It is possible but bug changes would be needed by a creative GM. I do not think Lou has the smarts/ will to change to roster over.

Making a hockey trade involving Pelech/Pulock would be one of my first moves. Would also look to deal one of Cizikas/JGP if we do not have to pay assets to dump them, retaining would be ok. Buyout Lee or trade him retaining money. Let every UFA we have walk.

I think that would allow a quick re took and completely change the country club culture. It also would hopefully open up some money to bring in a player or 2 that actually contributes

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
No, I'm suggesting that if you're not a perennial powerhouse, and the Islanders never were, you don't keep doubling down on the same players just so you can "make the playoffs". Lou resigned Anders Lee and gave him a NTC, Lou resigned Matt Barzal and gave him an NTC, Lou signed JGP and gave him an NTC, Lou resigned Ryan Pulock and gave him an NTC, Lou resigned Adam Pelech and gave him an NTC, Lou resigned Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Martin and Casey Cizikas. Lou has had multiple opportunities to make changes. He decided to stay with what he had and the results are as you see them. Do you think the lineup would look the same if Kelly McCrimmon were the GM of the Islanders? This started as a discussion about Lou's "loyalty". I call it pig-headedness and lazy, and I think it's a liability.
To be fair, under Lou the Islander did much more than "just make the playoffs." Perhaps that led Lou to overestimate the team? But it's also disingenuous to say that he stayed with the same team. He continuously brings in big pieces. Varlamov, Sorokin, Pageau, Horvat, Palmieri, Romanov, etc. are all players he acquired to address perceived weaknesses.

No question Lou is loyal to "his guys." but he's also quick to cut bait. Many here slammed him for letting fan favorite Lehner walk and signing Varlamov to replace him. Turned out to be the right hockey move.

Hindsight is 20-20 so you're "right" of course. 6 seasons into Lou's tenure and we're no more a legit cup threat than we were his first season.

As far as McCrimmon goes, not sure if the Islanders would be better off today with him as GM instead of Lou. Does Trotz even come here?

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
To be fair, under Lou the Islander did much more than "just make the playoffs." Perhaps that led Lou to overestimate the team? But it's also disingenuous to say that he stayed with the same team. He continuously brings in big pieces. Varlamov, Sorokin, Pageau, Horvat, Palmieri, Romanov, etc. are all players he acquired to address perceived weaknesses.

No question Lou is loyal to "his guys." but he's also quick to cut bait. Many here slammed him for letting fan favorite Lehner walk and signing Varlamov to replace him. Turned out to be the right hockey move.

Hindsight is 20-20 so you're "right" of course. 6 seasons into Lou's tenure and we're no more a legit cup threat than we were his first season.

As far as McCrimmon goes, not sure if the Islanders would be better off today with him as GM instead of Lou. Does Trotz even come here?
I think overall Lou has been good fit at right time here which I think is your point. He gave them credibility in league circles, led out of the Tavares mess and had some relative success on ice with Trotz at helm. I do think Roy may be the succession plan as has been rumored which is fine I suppose. I do think Lou stays in his current role this off-season with input from Roy as they make changes Roy deems necessary.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA

Sorry, but for me it isn't hindsight and the bolded is the whole thing. Lou, and most fans, took results from absurd and (hopefully) once in a lifetime circumstances and convinced himself that he had a great team on his hands. He didn't. Not even close.

As for McCrimmon, I'm not sure either, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that the team wouldn't look the same and for me, that would be a huge plus. I am so sick looking at this same core and their same plain vanilla style and results.

And please, spare us all any more of the "Trotz only comes here for Lou" nonsense because that's what it is. If you want to give Lou credit for hiring him, fine, but speculating that BT wouldn't have come here for anyone else is just that, speculation, with no basis in fact whatsoever.

Reactions: periferal

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Not sure how they are going to line up tonight but I for one would love to see -
Barzal with Nelson and Engvall and Horvat with Lee and Palmieri - put Cizikas on JGP’s left and Holmstrom on the RW.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Sorry, but for me it isn't hindsight and the bolded is the whole thing. Lou, and most fans, took results from absurd and (hopefully) once in a lifetime circumstances and convinced himself that he had a great team on his hands. He didn't. Not even close.

As for McCrimmon, I'm not sure either, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that the team wouldn't look the same and for me, that would be a huge plus. I am so sick looking at this same core and their same plain vanilla style and results.

And please, spare us all any more of the "Trotz only comes here for Lou" nonsense because that's what it is. If you want to give Lou credit for hiring him, fine, but speculating that BT wouldn't have come here for anyone else is just that, speculation, with no basis in fact whatsoever.
okay

The bolded says it all... lol

Reactions: Torrey Redux

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Maybe, just maybe, some of the core are the problem?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Great question - if the season ends w/o playoffs, w/ playoffs but a first round exit, IMO, LL will make some moves to shake it up.

How much can he do so the younger core can still be competitive?
  1. Trade Palmieri - an expiring contract and get some cap space
  2. Buy out Lee - 3 m savings next season and then 5 the following.
  3. Trade Mayfield and replace him with cheaper bottom 6- if Mayfield enters Free agency - he would be sought after & signed to a multi year deal- my guess 4x4. RHD so hard to find. It will reduce the price of return.
  4. Trade the 2024 1st for immediate help in the top 6 - my target would be Buch or Pinto - if he is available.
  5. Make a significant free agent signing - Guentzel would be great, but Marchesault would also be great - a little older than I would like, but hasn’t slowed down - also ROY link as a former Remparts
  6. make a crazy trade for a big contract - Gaudreau, Laine,

Reactions: Top Corner

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Amen.

The Isles had the only job opening when Trotz was let go from Washington, so if he wanted to coach in 18-19 it was join the Isles (or wait for someone else to get fired).

So if you want to assume anything about the Trotz situation, you should assume he would've come to the Isles with most any GM in place (since Malkin has proved to be a competent owner) as long as they met his price (which obviously they did).

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
It is possible but bug changes would be needed by a creative GM. I do not think Lou has the smarts/ will to change to roster over.

Making a hockey trade involving Pelech/Pulock would be one of my first moves. Would also look to deal one of Cizikas/JGP if we do not have to pay assets to dump them, retaining would be ok. Buyout Lee or trade him retaining money. Let every UFA we have walk.

I think that would allow a quick re took and completely change the country club culture. It also would hopefully open up some money to bring in a player or 2 that actually contributes
Never thought I’d say it after their fair contract extensions, but If there is a hockey trade involving Pelech or Pulock i think that is something i think Lou will need to look into.

Reactions: duster19

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Then why does our esteemed GM keep giving them max term deals?
What GM doesn’t give their alleged best players such deals? He’s not doing anything every other GM does. What he’s not doing is realizing some of the these guys just don’t have it - and trade them.

The Isles need Lou to be a little more cold when it comes to these players.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Maybe, just maybe, some of the core are the problem?
That’s a problem our seasoned veteran GM created.

What GM doesn’t give their alleged best players such deals? He’s not doing anything every other GM does. What he’s not doing is realizing some of the these guys just don’t have it - and trade them.

Maybe it’s time for more spreadsheet, less “they play like men.”

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That’s a problem our seasoned veteran GM created.

Maybe it’s time for more spreadsheet, less “they play like men.”
I’ll pass on the spreadsheet people. Fine as an AGM, big no as the GM of the whole operation. It’s worked nowhere.

The minute Pulock was unable to provide offense and he was paid to provide it, well,
time to move on.

Your highest paid player has proven over six seasons he can’t play with anyone except one player and has more than occasional stretches of APB play when the team needs such a player to ‘be the guy.’ He’s not.

One can complain about the fringe all day long, but some of the core has inherent problems in their game that show no signs of improving so ‘stuck’ is what’s gonna happen.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

they need Lou to also be more aggressive in free agency but alas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad