Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Amen.

The Isles had the only job opening when Trotz was let go from Washington, so if he wanted to coach in 18-19 it was join the Isles (or wait for someone else to get fired).

So if you want to assume anything about the Trotz situation, you should assume he would've come to the Isles with most any GM in place (since Malkin has proved to be a competent owner) as long as they met his price (which obviously they did).
Would Trotz come here in 2018 if Kelly McCrimmon was GM? McCrimmon was a career junior GM. His first NHL front office job was in 2016 as assistant GM of the Knights. He was named GM 3 years later. Not saying Trotz only comes here for Lou but I think it's a long shot that he comes for a rookie GM (on the heals of the Snow regime).

Reactions: xECK29x

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not sure how they are going to line up tonight but I for one would love to see -
Barzal with Nelson and Engvall and Horvat with Lee and Palmieri - put Cizikas on JGP’s left and Holmstrom on the RW.

Seems to me like the one pairing Roy REALLY likes right now is Horvat with Nelson.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
they need Lou to also be more aggressive in free agency but alas
He needs to more aggressive in carving out some of the ‘core’ players.

If any GM thinks Scott Mayfield and Pierre Engvall are our "best players" then we have way bigger issues.
Every GM does dumb deals. Mayfield is fine. Engvall is not a very good player, but looked good last year with Nelson and one of the contributors to the end of the season run. He looked like he could be a 40-50 point player. At $3M, that could be a nice deal. However, hasn’t worked out and his warts are pretty darn obvious.

Kinda funny that Sirius just identified Barzals ‘breakout’ season bc of Horvat alongside and he shot the puck. Now… he’s got 12 shots in his last 9 games - all critical games for the teams success.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I’ll pass on the spreadsheet people. Fine as an AGM, big no as the GM of the whole operation. It’s worked nowhere.

The minute Pulock was unable to provide offense and he was paid to provide it, well,
time to move on.

Your highest paid player has proven over six seasons he can’t play with anyone except one player and has more than occasional stretches of APB play when the team needs such a player to ‘be the guy.’ He’s not.

One can complain about the fringe all day long, but some of the core has inherent problems in their game that show no signs of improving so ‘stuck’ is what’s gonna happen.
Being Roy is a spreadsheet guy, it's time for the GM to speak his language. I don't think he does.

He needs to more aggressive in carving out some of the ‘core’ players.
Lou waited too long for that.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Being Roy is a spreadsheet guy, it's time for the GM to speak his language. I don't think he does.

Roy’s doing great so far…maybe the spreadsheets show some of these core players aren’t getting it done.

100% agree there.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It is possible but bug changes would be needed by a creative GM. I do not think Lou has the smarts/ will to change to roster over.

Making a hockey trade involving Pelech/Pulock would be one of my first moves. Would also look to deal one of Cizikas/JGP if we do not have to pay assets to dump them, retaining would be ok. Buyout Lee or trade him retaining money. Let every UFA we have walk.

I think that would allow a quick re took and completely change the country club culture. It also would hopefully open up some money to bring in a player or 2 that actually contributes
Good post. I agree that trying to trade one of Pelech or Pulock should be a priority, although obviously they both have NTCs. It's a problem that 3 of the top 4 D are basically defensive defensemen, and Romanov is young/cheap enough that he should stay. It's been several years now that they've been lacking sufficient puck-moving skill on the back end.

I also agree that Lou would not have the will/creativity to make the necessary moves. I suspect he'd merely tinker.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Would Trotz come here in 2018 if Kelly McCrimmon was GM? McCrimmon was a career junior GM. His first NHL front office job was in 2016 as assistant GM of the Knights. He was named GM 3 years later. Not saying Trotz only comes here for Lou but I think it's a long shot that he comes for a rookie GM (on the heals of the Snow regime).
Now who's being disingenuous? You know what the point was, and it little to do with Kelly McCrimmon himself, but rather his style and the way Vegas conducts their business in general. But, again, you knew that and decided to make a snarky, asinine comment anyway.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Now who's being disingenuous? You know what the point was, and it little to do with Kelly McCrimmon himself, but rather his style and the way Vegas conducts their business in general. But, again, you knew that and decided to make a snarky, asinine comment anyway.
This is what you wrote:

"Do you think the lineup would look the same if Kelly McCrimmon were the GM of the Islanders?"

So it's OK to fantasize about the better lineup he would ice but to discuss what the coaching staff would look like is not allowed. I also love that you concluded that I believe "Trotz doesn't come here for anyone other than Lou." lol

Speaking of, the next post you make that isn't snarky or asinine will be your first.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
This is what you wrote:

"Do you think the lineup would look the same if Kelly McCrimmon were the GM of the Islanders?"

So it's OK to fantasize about the better lineup he would ice but to discuss what the coaching staff would look like is not allowed. I also love that you concluded that I believe "Trotz doesn't come here for anyone other than Lou." lol

Speaking of, the next post you make that isn't snarky or asinine will be your first.
Your not so stupid as to not know what a rhetorical question is. The last stand of a failed argument is always resorting to literalism.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Alex Jeffries intends to sign his ELC with us and head to Bridgeport. We drafted him.

we have no prospect system. I’m praying Lou goes hard after Colin Graf. Kids so talented and has real potential. A team like us that traded away all their draft picks could use a “free” prospect of that Caliber

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Alex Jeffries intends to sign his ELC with us and head to Bridgeport. We drafted him.

we have no prospect system. I’m praying Lou goes hard after Colin Graf. Kids so talented and has real potential. A team like us that traded away all their draft picks could use a “free” prospect of that Caliber
Graf would be a solid add and worth a chance

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Graf would be a solid add and worth a chance
In my gut I feel like he’s going to the other clowns that also get the top guys. But yeah I’d go heavy on the recruitment of Graf

I really hope if Roy doesn’t resign at the end of the season that he can have a heavy input in roster decisions and changes. He needs guys that Hate to lose and will work their asses off. Engvall cannot play for this man. I

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
In my gut I feel like he’s going to the other clowns that also get the top guys. But yeah I’d go heavy on the recruitment of Graf

I really hope if Roy doesn’t resign at the end of the season that he can have a heavy input in roster decisions and changes. He needs guys that Hate to lose and will work their asses off. Engvall cannot play for this man. I
It's not enough to get guys that hate to lose and work hard - I think this team has that - they lack talent, youth and speed. That's what they need to get this offseason - and it's a lot tougher to get than hard workers

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Sorry, but for me it isn't hindsight and the bolded is the whole thing. Lou, and most fans, took results from absurd and (hopefully) once in a lifetime circumstances and convinced himself that he had a great team on his hands. He didn't. Not even close.

As for McCrimmon, I'm not sure either, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that the team wouldn't look the same and for me, that would be a huge plus. I am so sick looking at this same core and their same plain vanilla style and results.

And please, spare us all any more of the "Trotz only comes here for Lou" nonsense because that's what it is. If you want to give Lou credit for hiring him, fine, but speculating that BT wouldn't have come here for anyone else is just that, speculation, with no basis in fact whatsoever.
if Tavares was traded as he should have been or the Islanders would have realized he was never going to re-sign, Lou and Barry never would have been here, I am convinced the only reason Lou and Barry were brought here was as an incentive to get Tavares to re-sign, the re-build should have started 6 years ago in reality.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Roy sees what we see. That last line speaks volumes. I’d be embarrassed. p***y Pierre

IMG_5813.jpeg

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
if Tavares was traded as he should have been or the Islanders would have realized he was never going to re-sign, Lou and Barry never would have been here, I am convinced the only reason Lou and Barry were brought here was as an incentive to get Tavares to re-sign, the re-build should have started 6 years ago in reality.
Absolutely as far as the last part is concerned. I essentially got kicked off these boards for saying that very thing back then. People just don't like to hear the truth.

As for the first part, I don't know, it's all speculation and trying to mind read. I don't know how much either one of those guys were looking for a new opportunity. They ended up here but as to the how's and why's, we'll never know if it would have happened with a different set of circumstances.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Roy sees what we see. That last line speaks volumes. I’d be embarrassed. p***y Pierre

View attachment 838713
Roy is a future President of Hockey Ops/GM, he sees what the fans are thinking.

I hope he is the incumbent replacement to Lamoriello because he is a winner/gamer and can identify where the holes are. He is not afraid to say what he is thinking and that is what this franchise needs.

They are in a position in where they are competitive, but the future is currently not in mind. I think Roy understands the balance needed more than Lamoriello (who can only see immediate impacts).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad