Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Roy sees what we see. That last line speaks volumes. I’d be embarrassed. p***y Pierre

View attachment 838713
What's the famous quote? Something about how it's better to try to tame a tiger than to paint stripes on one. PE is who he is and they can paint all the stripes they want on him but if it isn't in his DNA then there isn't much you can do. Most of the time it becomes more comical than anything else when you watch a non-physical player try to play like one.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Roy is a future President of Hockey Ops/GM, he sees what the fans are thinking.

I hope he is the incumbent replacement to Lamoriello because he is a winner/gamer and can identify where the holes are. He is not afraid to say what he is thinking and that is what this franchise needs.

They are in a position in where they are competitive, but the future is currently not in mind. I think Roy understands the balance needed more than Lamoriello (who can only see immediate impacts).
He has the fire, but he has no experience in that role and he may be too mercurial. Once again, this is a fan base falling in love with someone because he is here and he isn't the other guy, not necessarily because he is the right person for the job.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Count me out of the scorched earth rebuild contingent that will be flexing their muscles over the next few months.

Reactions: Lek

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Thursday is the biggest game of the year and against a team in a similar state of dysfunction.
A must win.

Time is running out and math looks worse with nights like tonight.

Engvall was scratched, but why only him? 5 games - we cannot see the same lineup get trotted out every night.
A call-up or two - they have the cap space to do it, but I doubt they do anything like that, especially after Roy's post game comments about shorter shifts, which is great insight, but not the only problem. Maybe Bortuzzo or Bolduc will draw back into the lineup.

I would do 27-13-29, 18-14-21, 53-44-10, 17-32-15
Although, I would prefer to sit both 15 and 17 and get some fresh legs in there and not Fasching -I'd bring up both Dufour and Iskhakov and skate with Maclean... those 3 skated together before Dufour will bring some physicality and Isk some skills - limit the line to 10 mins. maybe Isk draws in on the 2nd PP.

As good as they looked during that 6 game-winning streak - they have been just as bad in these 5.
I hate seeing this team lose and if things continue to go poorly as the season closes, then I think most will get what they want and LL will shake up this roster in a big way.

For now, hoping for a big win in Detroit.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Roy is a future President of Hockey Ops/GM, he sees what the fans are thinking.

I hope he is the incumbent replacement to Lamoriello because he is a winner/gamer and can identify where the holes are. He is not afraid to say what he is thinking and that is what this franchise needs.

They are in a position in where they are competitive, but the future is currently not in mind. I think Roy understands the balance needed more than Lamoriello (who can only see immediate impacts).
IMO, this is crazy talk.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Thursday is the biggest game of the year and against a team in a similar state of dysfunction.
A must win.

Engvall was scratched, but why only him? 5 games - we cannot see the same lineup get trotted out every night.
A call-up or two - they have the cap space to do it, but I doubt they do anything like that, especially after Roy's post game comments about shorter shifts, which is great insight, but not the only problem. Maybe Bortuzzo or Bolduc will draw back into the lineup.

Although, I would prefer to sit both 15 and 17 and get some fresh legs in there and not Fasching -I'd bring up both Dufour and Iskhakov and skate with Maclean... those 3 skated together before Dufour will bring some physicality and Isk some skills - limit the line to 10 mins. maybe Isk draws in on the 2nd PP.

As good as they looked during that 6 game-winning streak - they have been just as bad in these 5.
I hate seeing this team lose and if things continue to go poorly as the season closes, then I think most will get what they want and LL will shake up this roster in a big way.

It’s the battle of disappearing players when their teams need them to step up: Debrincat vs Barzal.

Debrincat hasn’t scored a goal in 10 games with his team on the brink. Barzal is a -8 in his last five games for a team on the brink. Downright hilariously bad.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That's two coaches who scratched Engvall.

He just isn't good. Too bad he's here for 3/4th of a decade.
Engvall hasn’t been very good. However, he’s in that easy spot to scratch, low enough on the pecking order, not a legacy player, not a star, not the highest paid, and so on.

Plenty of guys deserve the press box, some deserve in game benching, however, that rarely happens for those that really should be getting that message.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Engvall taking the blame for a lot of others who simply aren't playing up to scratch, and it's been like this for the entire season. No problem benching him at all, but they really should be rotating him, Martin, Lee, Clutterbuck, Pageau, Aho and Cizikas in the pressbox.

Reactions: beach

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
A must win.

Fasching is a waste. He has no sand and his most notable shifts- blocked a shot with ass and joined two forwards in a corner battle late in the third and made a blind center pass. Those two guys are with you idiot.

I know some have an opinion that Ishakov and perhaps Salo can't help. That's all that is though. An opinion. Fasching and Aho have proven repeatedly they bring nothing to the table.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
The definition of insanity,,,,,,,,anyone who expected different results is thinking with their heart and not their heads. This all needed to be blown up long before March 2024 and it still has not happened. To think that this team is capable of winning a CUP or that it is "close " is mind boggling. The sooner that the rebuild begins the sooner everyone on this board will be happy but until that rebuild begins set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I was watching Engvall the other night go into the corner and it seems he goes out of his way to avoid contact. I get it if he was putting up 30 or 40 goals but he’s not that player and needs to be different or we will be paying him to play AHL. I like him for the speed he brings but he is going to need more than a stick check if he really wants to help this team.

There is a lot of work needed here contrary to some, and it starts with getting out of Lees contract and moving on from the 4th line. I expect this is Lou’s last year as this team will be missing playoffs, hopefully Roy gets the job.

Last edited:

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
What's the famous quote? Something about how it's better to try to tame a tiger than to paint stripes on one. PE is who he is and they can paint all the stripes they want on him but if it isn't in his DNA then there isn't much you can do. Most of the time it becomes more comical than anything else when you watch a non-physical player try to play like one.
He does not have to play like Martin or Clutterbuck. Roy is seeing that Engvall is allergic to the boards and going near the front of the net because he refuses to take any contact.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
He does not have to play like Martin or Clutterbuck. Roy is seeing that Engvall is allergic to the boards and going near the front of the net because he refuses to take any contact.
Right. My only point is that it really isn't something you can coach into someone. They may be able to fake it for a while but if the aversion is there, it's there. I know a lot of guys who could hit the stiches off a ball in a batting cage off of a Juggs, but face live pitching, they're bailing on every pitch.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Right. My only point is that it really isn't something you can coach into someone. They may be able to fake it for a while but if the aversion is there, it's there. I know a lot of guys who could hit the stiches off a ball in a batting cage off of a Juggs, but face live pitching, they're bailing on every pitch.
I agree with you and I think that is exactly why Toronto traded him away before going into the playoffs. Lou was very foolish to lock up such a soft replacement level player.

Reactions: beach and MJF

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
any offseason that doesn't see Houda/MacLean/Lamoriello fired is already a lost one. No more. And go after Eric Tulsky HARD. we need that kind of person at the helm.

Reactions: beach

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Fasching is a waste. He has no sand and his most notable shifts- blocked a shot with ass and joined two forwards in a corner battle late in the third and made a blind center pass. Those two guys are with you idiot.

I know some have an opinion that Ishakov and perhaps Salo can't help. That's all that is though. An opinion. Fasching and Aho have proven repeatedly they bring nothing to the table.
Fasching, Cal, Martin, Lee do not play with any pace or speed - can’t have all 4. Need more options out there. If you are trying to win then you need to try something else.

I hope to see a call up but I doubt we do.

Seeing all the slack Torts has gotten for scratching Couterier - it does give some insight on how Roy is approaching the veterans on this team. Looks as if he is in the camp of not embarrassing his veteran players specifically his captain or asst. captain in Clutterbuck.

They need to win a couple here to inject some confidence in this group because they look defeated and low

I wonder how they lined up in practice today

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The definition of insanity,,,,,,,,anyone who expected different results is thinking with their heart and not their heads. This all needed to be blown up long before March 2024 and it still has not happened. To think that this team is capable of winning a CUP or that it is "close " is mind boggling. The sooner that the rebuild begins the sooner everyone on this board will be happy but until that rebuild begins set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed.
Will be happy???

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Potvottier

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
any offseason that doesn't see Houda/MacLean/Lamoriello fired is already a lost one. No more. And go after Eric Tulsky HARD. we need that kind of person at the helm.
That’s a disaster waiting to happen. CLB, TOR, EDM, AZ and soon to be PIT probably want a major do over on hiring a spreadsheet.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Considering what the Canes have been able to do since 2019, I disagree. Hire from a team that consistently makes the playoffs and can draft well. we gotta convince players to come here, especially after the news for UBS.
I’m not a big Don Waddell fan, but he’s the GM and deserves the credit there. A person in a supportive role vs one running the show are two entirely different things.

Fitz and Guerin and Blake have been meh since stepping into larger roles as the GM, that includes inheriting franchise players on their roster.

Reactions: Potvottier

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I’m not a big Don Waddell fan, but he’s the GM and deserves the credit there. A person in a supportive role vs one running the show are two entirely different things.

Fitz and Guerin have been meh since stepping into larger roles as the GM, that includes inheriting franchise players on their roster.
Counterpoint: Bill Zito

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad