Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
When they won 6 , they played some good hockey and I may not have posted here because there would be nothing I could say that I believed in. Their trademark seems to be finding ways to lose as many as they win in the subsequent days and weeks, not dissimilar to 1/2 dozen others trying to get that last spot. I’m not sure what will happen in the coming weeks but whatever it is, playoff’s or no playoff’s, this team needs to be reshaped. The million dollar question, does their rosters contracts and cap situations allow for this to happen? Is this the last months of Lou’s GM tenure?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The passing that had improved dramatically during the win streak has reverted back to prior form. Soft and looping instead of crisp and on the tape.

Was the last 2 weeks a case of dead cat bounce?

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
The passing that had improved dramatically during the win streak has reverted back to prior form. Soft and looping instead of crisp and on the tape.

Last Monday was a scheduled loss because it was the second game of a back to back. Thursday was a scheduled loss because they were jet lagged. Today was a scheduled loss because it was a matinee. Tomorrow is a scheduled loss because another back to back.

I expect the passing and overall play to improve against CAR on Tuesday.

• Haha
Reactions: scottywiper

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Hopefully the raggies used up all their goals today and have none left for tomorrow.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site

Probably more like “Don’t want to get traded before the deadline , let’s keep Lou believing ! Golf season is only a month away”

Reactions: Ishkabible

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
If the Isles miss this year, and I know every year we seem to be saying the same thing about changes needed etc.. but this off season requires a moderate to severe makeover. When 3 coaches struggle to make this team an easy pick for one of the 8 post season spots, things got to take a different road. It might be just me, but Roy doesn't seem to have the same fire as when he started, almost like a disgruntled employee.
I really hope/don’t think that this is the case with Roy. If he can’t make heads or tails of this team and walks away at the end of this season, that would be the end of his NHL coaching career. I cant imagine he would take this job to to let it end that way.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I really hope/don’t think that this is the case with Roy. If he can’t make heads or tails of this team and walks away at the end of this season, that would be the end of his NHL coaching career. I cant imagine he would take this job to to let it end that way.
I wasn’t suggesting he was going to walk away, just meant he doesn’t look like he is as happy as when he first joined. Seems like he was hoping for some additions or changes before deadline but was denied.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The decision not to upgrade the PK at the deadline will eventually cost us dearly. Lou can talk chemistry all he wants, but the PK has none.
But how about all those shorties by Holmstrom? How about the leader of the identity line, signed for 4 more years? JGP on the PK?

They’re not the reason this team has underperformed as a whole but they’re a big part of the failure of the PK.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I wasn’t suggesting he was going to walk away, just meant he doesn’t look like he is as happy as when he first joined. Seems like he was hoping for some additions or changes before deadline but was denied.
I actually think it’s opposite, they have eye more towards next year and even beyond with possibly Roy moving upstairs eventually. I think hope was saving season and figuring out who belongs for next year. I think speed in top six is where they go with possible buyout of Lee if they can’t trade him. I can see Roy looking at leadership group and hoping to change that, Clutterbuck and Martin aren’t retained and move out Lee and the voices and players wearing letters change here.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I actually think it’s opposite, they have eye more towards next year and even beyond with possibly Roy moving upstairs eventually. I think hope was saving season and figuring out who belongs for next year. I think speed in top six is where they go with possible buyout of Lee if they can’t trade him. I can see Roy looking at leadership group and hoping to change that, Clutterbuck and Martin aren’t retained and move out Lee and the voices and players wearing letters change here.
I doubt the Isles buy out the last 2 years of Anders Lee. That’s $7M.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I doubt the Isles buy out the last 2 years of Anders Lee. That’s $7M.

It's not a terrible buyout but I think I'd rather just retain money on his deal during a trade if posisble.

1710707575273.png

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's not a terrible buyout but I think I'd rather just retain money on his deal during a trade if posisble.

View attachment 837536
You buy him out of his last year if you can’t trade him in the next 12 months.

In the meantime, I would like to see Lee come in a little lighter next season. Dropping even 5 lbs might help his skating.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You buy him out of his last year if you can’t trade him in the next 12 months.

In the meantime, I would like to see Lee come in a little lighter next season. Dropping even 5 lbs might help his skating.
He’s a bottom six forward, whether they can move him or not. Just look at his production…

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Re. Lee and Mayfield:
These contracts will have to be moved by convincing a team that the 9+MM player they're disappointed with is more of a burden than the other two will be and then move them for that guy. There are several defensemen out there who could still help us but are vastly overpaid and simply aren't worth the paycheck for their current team.

It's not a given. Whoever is GMing as of this summer will have to be a good negotiator. I'd see it as a good sign if this kind of thing could get done.

Re. the PK:
This team is chock full of "PK" players. If they're not getting it done, then you're fugggged. In general, you're getting very little overall offensively from the likes of Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Pageau, and Holmstrom, much less Pelech and Pulock (and Mayfield. for that matter). In return, they have to be pure gold on the PK. That's where they need to earn their paycheck.

You can't afford to "upgrade" them at the deadline. They simply have to get the job done.

Re. 2024 1st rounder:
If we look at things realistically, we're likely drafting somewhere between 13-19 in this summer's draft. If Lou is still the GM by the draft, I'm expecting that pick being moved for another U24 NHLer with upside and a controllable contract. I don't mind that. It would be pretty cool if it can be done in a manner that also brings back a later pick, much like when Romanov was accompanied by 4th rounder.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Re. Lee and Mayfield:
These contracts will have to be moved by convincing a team that the 9+MM player they're disappointed with is more of a burden than the other two will be and then move them for that guy. There are several defensemen out there who could still help us but are vastly overpaid and simply aren't worth the paycheck for their current team.

It's not a given. Whoever is GMing as of this summer will have to be a good negotiator. I'd see it as a good sign if this kind of thing could get done.

Re. the PK:
This team is chock full of "PK" players. If they're not getting it done, then you're fugggged. In general, you're getting very little overall offensively from the likes of Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Pageau, and Holmstrom, much less Pelech and Pulock (and Mayfield. for that matter). In return, they have to be pure gold on the PK. That's where they need to earn their paycheck.

You can't afford to "upgrade" them at the deadline. They simply have to get the job done.

Re. 2024 1st rounder:
If we look at things realistically, we're likely drafting somewhere between 13-19 in this summer's draft. If Lou is still the GM by the draft, I'm expecting that pick being moved for another U24 NHLer with upside and a controllable contract. I don't mind that. It would be pretty cool if it can be done in a manner that also brings back a later pick, much like when Romanov was accompanied by 4th rounder.
I cannot see any other GM willing to take those contracts, even to get rid of overpaid D like Nurse or Jones (I assume that's who you might be referring to). Those D at 9 provide more value than Lee and Mayfield - hence why the Isles would gladly take such a deal. Of course, it only takes one other GM to pull a Chiarelli, but I wouldn't plan our offseason around it.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I cannot see any other GM willing to take those contracts, even to get rid of overpaid D like Nurse or Jones (I assume that's who you might be referring to). Those D at 9 provide more value than Lee and Mayfield - hence why the Isles would gladly take such a deal. Of course, it only takes one other GM to pull a Chiarelli, but I wouldn't plan our offseason around it.
Every contract is movable, it just depends on the price…

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
I also believe Mayfield’s contract can be bought out and than spread out a la DiPietro in the $1M cap hit range

But look, obviously hope whatever this injury is heals and it doesn’t look like he just fell off a cliff because this year playing hurt, yikes

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Every contract is movable, it just depends on the price…
That's a fair enough point; I guess I'd rather not expend many assets on getting rid of those contracts if they can be bought out; or just ride them out until they're done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad