Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
The Delta center but of course a basketball specific arena.

XPSQBGP34VGHLAXCXAVTG6LN6M.JPG
Nice. Looks like plenty of room for an SUV

The NHL would be wise to stay out of the northeast. It's a dying region.
Interesting. What makes you say that?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
With news that Arizona may be relocated to Salt Lake City by this summer-
According to Elliot Friedman - some players are disgruntled about how this is playing out.
IMO, I think this goes down and goes down real soon.

Keller, Crouse, and to some degree Schmaltz.

Something to keep an eye on as things progress

I don't think players will want to stay with the organization unless they're relocating. Three more years at ASU sounds miserable.

Does salt lake have an arena ready to go? The yotes playing in a 5000 seat venue is a joke. And it would be years before land is acquired and infrastructure and a new arena would be built in arizona.

What a joke. Coyotes should move out ASAP. If salt lake is ready to go, move em out.

Bring them to Hartford. Bring back the Whalers

The more I think about it the more I think the NHL (and the Arizona ownership) are going to pull the cord on this one and move the team as quickly as a deal develops. Allowing this to roll into late June without even knowing if you're definitely going to be able to get the arena is a recipe for disaster.

If they do get the land and are able to fund the arena it's going to be another three years before it's finished. That's three more years of playing at ASU. If they don't get the land or can't fund the arena it'll be very tight on moving the team for the 2024-25 season and I don't think it'd be a good idea to rush that process.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Net migration.

I don't know if I'd say the Northeast is dying but it's certainly seeing a decrease in desirability. Not sure when the migration from those areas will stop and I don't think anyone knows. The more people that leave the area and move south increases the likelihood of hockey being successful in different southern markets.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
According to Elliot Friedman - some players are disgruntled about how this is playing out.

They also do not have a defenseman on their roster signed through next season.

Noah Dobson and J.G. Pageau, pack your bags for Salt Lake City! Keller, Crouse, and Durzi are coming to the Island.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't know if I'd say the Northeast is dying but it's certainly seeing a decrease in desirability. Not sure when the migration from those areas will stop and I don't think anyone knows. The more people that leave the area and move south increases the likelihood of hockey being successful in different southern markets.
The Northeast is also overcrowded so net decrease in migration is not a cause for concern at this point in my opinion.

Also, I’m under the impression that net migration does not take into account immigration and just from my own observations Massachusetts has had a large influx of immigrants recently.

Reactions: MJF

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
They also do not have a defenseman on their roster signed through next season.

Noah Dobson and J.G. Pageau, pack your bags for Salt Lake City! Keller, Crouse, and Durzi are coming to the Island.
They have around 15 million coming off the books that were IR placeholders (Voracek, Little and Boyd). They'll need to spend some $ this summer. It's crazy the Weber contract will still be there for another 2 seasons.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Go get Durzi or O'Brien! We need that depth. Also Crouse since he would be a better Lee replacement.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Wishful thinking.

Is there even rumblings of a team being added in the northeast? The only places I ever hear are Quebec and Hamilton and I don't think either are realistic. I can't think of any other locations that would be considered.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Is there even rumblings of a team being added in the northeast? The only places I ever hear are Quebec and Hamilton and I don't think either are realistic. I can't think of any other locations that would be considered.
I haven’t heard any. There’s always people lobbying for Quebec City and a second team in Metro Toronto, but nothing solid.

The northeast is saturated. Atlanta is being held out as another destination, yet again.

If you want to forecast the NHL’s future locations check tv market size. Bettman seems to go right down that list.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I flew into SLC last year for a Wyoming trip and the city looks really nice (just a drive-by) and the airport is great - huge expansion as a hub in progress. Seems like a good destination for a team, albeit not quite up there in the top 10 TV markets like Atlanta and Houston (but probably on an upward curve for population growth). Anyway, if they move right away I don't see any problem retaining players - we'll probably see that become a destination where players want to go soon enough.

Re: "net migration", I would think net is net and therefore would account for any kind of [legal] immigration/emigration?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
According to Elliotte Friedman - they are going to give Muerulo a 5-year window to get a plan back in place for expansion in Arizona.

The NHL really likes the owner group SLC and wants to tap into that market.
Do not make too much about the arena - Ryan Smith and the ownership group have been working for the last couple of years for a new arena to be built. The Delta Center is 32 years old and bringing in an NHL team can maybe help their revenue.

From what I've read - When the league expands -
Expansion Team 33 could be Atlanta, 34 would be Arizona, and then most likely Houston as Team 35.

Team 36 could be Quebec City - the Canadian Dollar holding back any progress here.
KC, Milwaukee, and Portland could also be landing spots for Team 36.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The Northeast is also overcrowded so net decrease in migration is not a cause for concern at this point in my opinion.
Oh yeah, upstate NY is full of dense population areas . . . as is Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Re: "net migration", I would think net is net and therefore would account for any kind of [legal] immigration/emigration?

I had the same thought but it's not worth getting into.

According to Elliotte Friedman - they are going to give Muerulo a 5-year window to get a plan back in place for expansion in Arizona.

The NHL really likes the owner group SLC and wants to tap into that market.
Do not make too much about the arena - Ryan Smith and the ownership group have been working for the last couple of years for a new arena to be built. The Delta Center is 32 years old and bringing in an NHL team can maybe help their revenue.

From what I've read - When the league expands -
Expansion Team 33 could be Atlanta, 34 would be Arizona, and then most likely Houston as Team 35.

Team 36 could be Quebec City - the Canadian Dollar holding back any progress here.
KC, Milwaukee, and Portland could also be landing spots for Team 36.

That all makes sense to me. I do hope they stop at 36 teams though. I know many don't like how many teams there are now but the NHL has the fewest teams based in the U.S. out of the major sports leagues so they're losing out on potential revenue. They're going to be expanding to 34 teams at minimum and there are too many other locations available that they won't stop there.

Reactions: SI

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So if your team moves to another city, ceases to exist, and then 5 years later your city gets an expansion franchise, would that be more of a retool or a rebuild?

Seriously, if I'm an AZ fan I might be thinking I'd have a good team sooner if they went the relocate and then expansion route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad