Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Roy's use of Wahlstrom since taking over speaks absolute volumes.

CAVEAT:
I didn't read the recent Rosner (?, I think) article on Wahlstrom, in which Roy apparently said some good things about him.

Literally what difference does any WORDS from a coach mean when that same coach hasn't played that player since February.

Reactions: duster19

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Rumours in Switzerland are that you guys are interested in signing 28-year old Swiss defensemen Andrea Glauser, who shoots right and played in the last two WC for Switzerland.

Ce défenseur suisse du Lausanne HC intéresse une équipe de NHL (In French)

I enjoyed this translation:

> He should also visit a barber since, in Lou Lamoriello's team, superfluous hair is not tolerated.

Reactions: pouf pouf

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Gaming out an offseason where there can be significant change would require the following decisions: (i) buying out Lee, and (ii) finding a taker for either Palmieri or Pageau without spending significant assets (i.e. 1st or 2nd round picks).

If Martin or Clutterbuck are resigned, it needs to be below the 1.125M threshold (or whatever it is for next year). It might make sense to resign Martin purely as insurance. While I don't mind Clutterbuck as an ES 4th liner, I think his days as a penalty killer are over.

If NYI buy out Lee and move either Palmieri or Pageau, they need to replace them with forwards who are above average options on the PK. If Mayfield is healthy next season, it's possible the PK can improve, but only if they make changes up front.

Unless NYI plan to go for a rebuild, I think it's pointless to go into next year without fixing the evident & fixable problems that exist. I can easily imagine a better year out of the D corps, and Sorokin.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Literally what difference does any WORDS from a coach mean when that same coach hasn't played that player since February.

I was just covering all bases...

You know that if I had only posted "Roy's use of Wahlstrom since taking over speaks absolute volumes.", I'd hear the "But, but, but, but he recently said..." responses.

It continues to be absolutely mindboggling that this guy hasn't played since FEB 24 and had exactly 1 assist in the past 10 NHL games he's played.

I mean Jeez Louise Wally, where's the pride and desire to show you're better than that???

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I was just covering all bases...

You know that if I had only posted "Roy's use of Wahlstrom since taking over speaks absolute volumes.", I'd hear the "But, but, but, but he recently said..." responses.

It continues to be absolutely mindboggling that this guy hasn't played since FEB 24 and had exactly 1 assist in the past 10 NHL games he's played.

I mean Jeez Louise Wally, where's the pride and desire to show you're better than that???
I don't think it matters what Wahlstrom does in practice anymore. The die has been cast and the coach will not use him. He's a Black Ace who just needs to stay in shape.

Look no further than Julien Gauthier who found himself in the AHL after 3 games with Roy.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
finding a taker for either Palmieri or Pageau without spending significant assets (i.e. 1st or 2nd round picks)
JGP I get. Maybe I'm missing something, but Palmieri is tied for 17th in goals among RWs in a 32 team league and has 1 year left at $5M. And the Isles would have to pay a team to take him? And maybe they just keep him and his goals?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
JGP I get. Maybe I'm missing something, but Palmieri is tied for 17th in goals among RWs in a 32 team league and has 1 year left at $5M. And the Isles would have to pay a team to take him? And maybe they just keep him and his goals?

He also only has one year left. If you have to pay to get rid of him, it's not really worth it unless you are adding a younger and better player that you need his cap hit for before the beginning of the season. If that's not the case, just hold on to him and if they're out of it by the trade deadline move him (and Nelson) then.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Palmieri is a good hockey player. I don't get the hate.
Been saying this. 5 million for a second liner is going rate, he never got Engvall term and has correctly produced his contracts value.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Sorokin has some serious goodwill around the league. There are about a 3-5 goalies I would be taking over him at the moment.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Sorokin has some serious goodwill around the league. There are about a 3-5 goalies I would be taking over him at the moment.
It's actually not as crazy as it seems (as Sorokin hasn't looked good by the eye test). But the advanced stats say that both Sorokin and Varlamov played a big part in (likely) pushing a mid Islanders team into the playoffs this year:

1712811137909.jpeg

SI

Feb 16, 2013
With news that Arizona may be relocated to Salt Lake City by this summer-
According to Elliot Friedman - some players are disgruntled about how this is playing out.
IMO, I think this goes down and goes down real soon.

Keller, Crouse, and to some degree Schmaltz.

Something to keep an eye on as things progress

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It's actually not as crazy as it seems (as Sorokin hasn't looked good by the eye test). But the advanced stats say that both Sorokin and Varlamov played a big part in (likely) pushing a mid Islanders team into the playoffs this year:

View attachment 849693
Gorgiev is rocking a .899, yet leads the league with 38 wins…something tells me the stats on that aren’t great and he’s not really the contributor to those 38Ws.

Sorokin has been a big meh this year. Not much to save face on other than he’s been a major disappointment.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
According to Elliot Friedman - some players are disgruntled about how this is playing out.

Does salt lake have an arena ready to go? The yotes playing in a 5000 seat venue is a joke. And it would be years before land is acquired and infrastructure and a new arena would be built in arizona.

What a joke. Coyotes should move out ASAP. If salt lake is ready to go, move em out.

Bring them to Hartford. Bring back the Whalers

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
Does salt lake have an arena ready to go? The yotes playing in a 5000 seat venue is a joke. And it would be years before land is acquired and infrastructure and a new arena would be built in arizona.

What a joke. Coyotes should move out ASAP. If salt lake is ready to go, move em out.

Bring them to Hartford. Bring back the Whalers
The Delta center but of course a basketball specific arena.

XPSQBGP34VGHLAXCXAVTG6LN6M.JPG

Reactions: Big L

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Shame. I was planning a trip out to Arizona next season to see the Isles play at that college rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad