Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Better than going back to Atlanta :)

Atlanta is the weirdest market. Doesn't care about the Hawks. Moderate interest in the Braves (and mostly because they got a new stadium). Decent interest in the Falcons (when they're good). And zero interest in hockey.

Yet...

Sells out every single Atlanta United MLS game (they play at 71,000 seat Mercedes-Benz Stadium) with multi-year wait for season tickets.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Atlanta is the weirdest market. Doesn't care about the Hawks. Moderate interest in the Braves (and mostly because they got a new stadium). Decent interest in the Falcons (when they're good). And zero interest in hockey.

Yet...

Sells out every single Atlanta United MLS game (they play at 71,000 seat Mercedes-Benz Stadium) with multi-year wait for season tickets.
I would say this is somewhat accurate, but not especially so. But, it's not particularly weird if you look at the demographics of the city.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

Yet...

The Braves old stadium was in a bad location. The new stadium is in a much better location. The Braves average 96% capacity in the new stadium which leads MLB.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Braves old stadium was in a bad location. The new stadium is in a much better location. The Braves average 96% capacity in the new stadium which leads MLB.

Yeah well they put the new Braves stadium in a much more affluent part of the city so there's that.

That said, let's see how ticket sales are in 5-7 years (and/or if the team starts struggling).

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Yeah well they put the new Braves stadium in a much more affluent part of the city so there's that.

That said, let's see how ticket sales are in 5-7 years (and/or if the team starts struggling).
Putting the stadium in an affluent area makes sense. For some reason people don’t like going into downtown Atlanta.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

Attendance was consistently ranked top 10 in the league for decades at Turner Field, despite the ballpark being in one of the worst parts of town and transportation being an absolute nightmare, as Glory Days alluded to.

I lived about a mile from Truist Park and it's a breeze to get in and out of, it's a great ballpark, and it's surrounded by attractions. They're continuing to build around it. It might drop off a bit if the team is bad in the future or whatever, but I doubt it will tank.

Putting the stadium in an affluent area makes sense. For some reason people don’t like going into downtown Atlanta.
Most people don't live in town and it's a car city through and through. It's a pain.

Reactions: Glory Days

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Bring me a team to Charlotte, full of NE transplants and Raleigh is too far.

Name them the Intimidators and #3 is already retired.

(I'm kidding, I just selfishly want an NHL team in my backyard)
No, it would have to be the Charlotte Idontgivadamns.

Chants would be a challenge, but t-shirt sales would be through the roof.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Now that you mention it...

But even if word is out that he's available, no-one is taking Kotkaniemi's contract off Carolina's hands without some form of incentive. And Carolina knows that.

I also think Carolina would be smart enough to know that an Engvall is gonna bring them everything Kotkaniemi does but at 60% of the price and with more tradability down the line.

So, even if you take the 1st out of the suggested deal, it would take a pretty bad GM to offer something that outdoes the pros & cons for the Carolina here.

That said, being in the same division makes such a deal less likely.
Don’t want you to get your hopes up.

Knowing Cane mgt, there is no way they are giving FUS, a first, KK and a throw in for an isles not wanted Engvall.

FWIW: FUS is going to be a good NHL player & has a good chance of making the Canes roster next year.

They have a smart MGT team & will figure out how to jettison KK if they can get Guentzal, Necas and Jarvis signed (Teuvo and KK would have to go).

You can probably pick up Pesce and perhaps Skjei if your budget allows.

Last edited:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
If Dobson is out tomorrow, both Bortuzzo and aho in? Yikes.

Also I hope the isles don’t decide to stay in a hotel in Manhattan tonight like last time. wtf

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

Laviolette is going to do something stupid tomorrow it seems. He’s looking for a retaliation injury for the shoulder elbow on DJ Mika.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Isles announce the signng of Michael Haley, Trevor Gillies, Mick Vukota and Ogie Oglethorpe to ELCs
I watched a random game on YouTube the other day and Konopka, gillies and Haley were on the 4th line. Martin the third.

They would murder teams today. They also didn’t give a f***, they’d make you fight.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Bring up Seth Helgeson.

giphy.gif

Reactions: xECK29x

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I need to say this

Thank you Charles Wang

Thank you so much for keeping the Islanders on Long Island.

Going to call this out every time.

wang didn't save the Islanders.

They were LOCKED IN to the SMG lease until 2015 (notice when Malkin came along), and the NHL didn't want them moving.

Also notice how he tried multiple ways to get a new arena and was sabotoged every time by polticians..But as soon as Malkin got the team he was able to get an arena deal done.

wang was a patsy, placeholder, and putz all in one. There was a reason why we were saddled with joke after joke owner since Pickett (Gang of 4, Spano, wang, etc), because the SMG lease was an absolute anchor is terms of profitability and thus we had "business bottom feeders" as opposed to the first-rate owners we have today.

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
Going to call this out every time.

wang didn't save the Islanders.

They were LOCKED IN to the SMG lease until 2015 (notice when Malkin came along), and the NHL didn't want them moving.

Also notice how he tried multiple ways to get a new arena and was sabotoged every time by polticians..But as soon as Malkin got the team he was able to get an arena deal done.

wang was a patsy, placeholder, and putz all in one. There was a reason why we were saddled with joke after joke owner since Pickett (Gang of 4, Spano, wang, etc), because the SMG lease was an absolute anchor is terms of profitability and thus we had "business bottom feeders" as opposed to the first-rate owners we have today.
Isles' New Arena Part Of Late Former Owner Charles Wang's Legacy

Reactions: xECK29x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad