Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
We'll have to agree to disagree.

My take on Carolina is that they're gonna find a way to productively move him, even if they have to pay a little price in picks/prospects, before they'd buy him out.

I just don't see them feeling the kind of "back against the wall" with respect to this player.

But yes, they have some VERY important UFAs this summer and several good guys who are going to be in need of pay hikes in the years to come.

So, they're definitely having thoughts.
Kotkaniemi is also only 23, hardly a bust yet even if he is albeit a little overpaid. With the cap significantly rising in the next few years, he basically becomes an “Engvall”.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This is true. He’s just a substantially cheaper one trick pony though. We could always see what Bobo Carpenter is about if we’re going to ask Lou to sign guys who don’t belong in the NHL anymore.

I'm not sure Wahlstrom belongs in the NHL anymore either. Imagine how desperate we are for a big scoring winger with a shot like he has...And the team doesn't deem him worthy of playing over Hudson Fasching.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Kotkaniemi is also only 23, hardly a bust yet even if he is albeit a little overpaid. With the cap significantly rising in the next few years, he basically becomes an “Engvall”.

This is funny. A player who needs the cap to rise just to have Engvall's level of value. Ain't exactly a quality spot to be in - Now or in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lek

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Martin is so toast, I do not think he's even worth league minimum. Would much rather have Fasching there especially since he's already scheduled to cost that $775k in 24-24
If the Isles make the playoffs, and Martin has an impact of the Isles advancing into the 2nd round…

(Yes, they should move on).

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Martin is so toast, I do not think he's even worth league minimum. Would much rather have Fasching there especially since he's already scheduled to cost that $775k in 24-24
Agreed. Both him and Clutterbuck are guys I hope we don’t have next season. Three of our biggest issues with the forward group are age, lack of offensive threats, and speed, and both Martin and Clutter contribute to that.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
If the Isles make the playoffs, and Martin has an impact of the Isles advancing into the 2nd round…

(Yes, they should move on).

True, but don't let one game at home where the ID Line goes bonkers leading to a win allow you to get fooled into thinking they can sustain that AGAIN over a whole 'nother 82 games in 24-25.

Agreed. Both him and Clutterbuck are guys I hope we don’t have next season. Three of our biggest issues with the forward group are age, lack of offensive threats, and speed, and both Martin and Clutter contribute to that.

At least Clutter still provides some value on the PK. Martin is slow, doesn't play special teams and rarely gets into fights anymore. Love the guy, but it's clear that he's gotta be phased out. He can hang his hat on being second to last visor-less guy in the league (I THINK not 100% sure that the only other is Ryan O'Reilly)

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
At least Clutter still provides some value on the PK. Martin is slow, doesn't play special teams and rarely gets into fights anymore. Love the guy, but it's clear that he's gotta be phased out. He can hang his hat on being second to last visor-less guy in the league (I THINK not 100% sure that the only other is Ryan O'Reilly)
I'm old enough to remember when Craig MacTavish was the last helmetless player in the league.

Shit I'm old enough to remember when MacTavish was a rookie with the Bruins.:wally:

Reactions: Lek

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
True, but don't let one game at home where the ID Line goes bonkers leading to a win allow you to get fooled into thinking they can sustain that AGAIN over a whole 'nother 82 games in 24-25.

These are the guys who played this year and don't wear a visor I think.

Reaves
O'Reilly
Lucic (if we count him)
Bogosian
Benn

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I'm old enough to remember when Craig MacTavish was the last helmetless player in the league.

Shit I'm old enough to remember when MacTavish was a rookie with the Bruins.:wally:

Shit, I served in Calvin Coolidge's cabinet!

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

I would take a 50 year old Clutter over any version of Hudson Fasching. He is a worthless player at the NHL level. To your point, not sure an NHL minimum Clutter for the 4th line is a bad thing.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I would take a 50 year old Clutter over any version of Hudson Fasching. He is a worthless player at the NHL level. To your point, not sure an NHL minimum Clutter for the 4th line is a bad thing.

Completely agree with you. I was strictly referring to Fasching at $775k > Martin at $775k for next season.

2024-25:
Clutter 775k > Someone else 775k > Fasching 775k > Martin 775k

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Rumours in Switzerland are that you guys are interested in signing 28-year old Swiss defensemen Andrea Glauser, who shoots right and played in the last two WC for Switzerland.

Ce défenseur suisse du Lausanne HC intéresse une équipe de NHL (In French)

Reactions: Potvottier

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm not sure Wahlstrom belongs in the NHL anymore either. Imagine how desperate we are for a big scoring winger with a shot like he has...And the team doesn't deem him worthy of playing over Hudson Fasching.

Roy's use of Wahlstrom since taking over speaks absolute volumes.

CAVEAT:
I didn't read the recent Rosner (?, I think) article on Wahlstrom, in which Roy apparently said some good things about him.

The funny thing is, if this team had legitimate offensively effective wingers next to the Barzal-Horvat and Nelson-Palms pairings, we wouldn't be giving a darn about possibly re-upping these two for another 4th line season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Rumours in Switzerland are that you guys are interested in signing 28-year old Swiss defensemen Andrea Glauser, who shoots right and played in the last two WC for Switzerland.

This was very interesting until there was mention of the Isles offering him a 1-year 1.5 MM deal.

Someone else $1.5M > Clutter 775K

Oh, so you're the one telling Lou to offer the Swissman that money next season... Got it.

Reactions: pouf pouf

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

Was this like when they brought in Jan Kovar?

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad